“fab pub and restaurant”

Ranked #6 of 9 Aysgarth B&B and Inns
south shields
“fab pub and restaurant”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

very friendly greeting as soon as you walked in the door had the choice to sit in restaurant but we decided to sit in the bar in front of the real fire.For starters i had the cullen skink fish cakes with poached egg on top was delicious the hubby had duck spring rolls which was all homemade.for mains we had the fish and chips which should have been called whale and chips was beautifully assembled with a basket of chips very nice but shame not homemade served with mushy peas portions are big but really can tell its all homemade grub landlord a very jolly soul will deffo go back very nice

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Stockport, England
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed here on the way to Durham and were very pleased with the room - 4 poster - and especially the food. The 'standard' menu on the website does not give a true picture of the range of interesting and well-presented meals on the 'specials' board. Apart from a little under-seasoning we had a really good meal. We found the landlord, his daughter and the staff very friendly. And were able to find the toilets.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
York
Reviewed December 16, 2012

On the recommendation of the owners of the guest house where we were staying, we booked a table for 2 at the George and Dragon and weren't disappointed. This is a traditional pub that really punches above its weight in the restaurant. We were warmly welcomed on arrival and invited into the small bar area to have a drink before our orders were taken. Sadly as I was driving, I didn't have the opportunity to sample the wide range of hand pulled beers on offer at the bar, perhaps another time.

The menu is reassuringly small - ie not loads of dishes that will be thawed and microwaved. No, this was freshly prepared food. Orders taken, we were taken through the restaurant. We shared a starter of olives, fresh bread and a dip of oil and Balsamic vinegar - delicious. I had a main of Gnnochi with a small selection of perfectly cooked vegetables, my wife had beer batter fish and chips. I was advised that the fish was beautifully fresh and perfectly cooked - I'm a veggie so I didn't sample it, though ensured that the chips were checked - they were fantastic! We were filling up quickly, though I heroically managed to have a pudding - rice pudding with home made lemon curd, stunningly good and my wife gallantly helped me devour it.

The food was served with style and the service was attentive and friendly from the moment that we arrived to when we left. Highly recommended, excellent value - a real gem.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
richmond
Reviewed December 12, 2012

On arrival we were greeted by the landlord with "If you're drunk you can get out!" Had no choice but to stay as a minibus was collecting us from the pub. Landlord decided we weren't drunk and served us. We sat down quietly and the tension in the aware was obvious. The ale was actually very well kept. When one of my colleagues stuck his head down a corridor to the side of the bar in search of the unsigned toilets the landlord barked "don't mess me around I have residents in there!" We are now aware of the location of the toilets should we ever return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank lizzie4nige
Manchester
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This is our 2nd stay and we took some friends with us ..Like us they were totally impressed with the quality and presentation of the food.. Lovely atmosphere in bar and rooms were lovely.. Will definitely be paying future visits

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Stayed here for the third time.Food excellent, good menu and beers.Hosts were very helpful and obliging.Definitely go again.Our room had a four poster bed and was nice and warm with tea and biscuits etc. Very nice.

Room Tip: Room No 2 has Jacuzzi bath.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I'd seen some mixed reviews on TripAdvisor but since they mostly seemed very positive, I booked this as a surprise weekend for my husband. I booked room 3, with the four poster bed, and was really pleased with it. Nice size, comfy bed, plenty of hanging space etc. It felt a bit chilly at time, but once the thick curtains were closed the chunky radiator did its work.
The bathroom was really nice - roll top bath with separate shower as well. There was underfloor heating, but not under the whole floor. Found myself trying to find the warm spots when i was in bare feet.
The owners were very friendly and very helpful. Being veggie they were happy to accommodate a change in the menu for me on our second night (we ate there both nights because the first meal was so good).
The food is of a very high quality and immaculately presented. My husband said the Black Sheep beer-battered fish and chips he had were the best he's tasted. The breakfasts were really good quality as well (and luckily I overheard another lady asking if they did veggie sausages otherwise I wouldn't have known).
They also offer (for a charge) packed lunches you can take out with you on a walk.
The bar had a lovely open fire and there were four real ales on tap. My husband said they were well kept, although he thought one of them may have been towards the end of the barrel on the second night. I'm sure if he'd said something they would have happily changed it for him.
Really enjoyed our stay here and wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: Room three was above the (small) bar area. So if you want a really early night may not be ideal with...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aysgarth
The Wheatsheaf in Wensleydale
#2 of 9 in Aysgarth
Stow House
Stow House
#1 of 9 in Aysgarth

Been to The George and Dragon Inn? Share your experiences!