Wood View Bed & Breakfast
  • Bar/Lounge
The Traddock(Austwick)
Agoda.com
Great 4.5/5
The Whoop Hall(Kirkby Lonsdale)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Average 3/5
  • Pool
Orange Tree Hotel(Kirkby Lonsdale)
  • Restaurant
No availability for your dates from our partners
Great 4.5/5
All reviewssconesgame cockb byorkshire daleslow beamsloveliest couplenothing is too much troublethe pubwonderful hostslots of hot watergenerous sizeking size roomhome from homelovely placelog firesuperb staybe visiting again
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Just returned from another fabulous 3 night stay at Wood View. Not too sure how many stays we have had with David & Sue but we are never disappointed. Wonderful Bed & Breakfast in the heart of a lovely village in the Dales. One of the best as you can see from the other reviews. David & Sue are the ideal hosts and the breakfast is one of the best - superbly cooked by Sue! The are five rooms available - two at the front and one at the back on the first floor and two superior rooms on the second floor (beware the low beams) and all are furnished to a high standard.

I have to comment on the “Disappointing” review posted by Sarah B. I was a guest on the same weekend having arrived Friday afternoon to a welcoming tray of tea & cakes/biscuits in front of a roaring log fire. The house was warm and cosy all weekend - including our bedroom on the first floor. At this time of the year I understand the heating is on 24/7 if the weather demands, as it was this weekend. The room mentioned in the review was a superior room - which we have stayed in before so am unsure was was “lacking”. As this is a traditional Yorkshire Dales house ceilings can be low to people above a certain high (my daughters boyfriend is 6’ 3” and also has this issue) but this is normal for lots of traditional old inns/hotels/B & B’s throughout the country.

With regarding to the locking of the front door, Sarah B had apparently mistakingly slid the catch closed on the Yale type front door lock meaning it was unable to be opened using the guest key supplied. My wife and I were awoken at just after 11.30pm by some guests and the owners (who had popped out to visit some local friends) who were unable to get back into the the B & B. I then had to pop down (in night attire) to let every one in! The following morning at breakfast any comments made were in a very light jovial way by everyone regarding the previous nights event. The whole incident was taken in good heart by everyone concerned - including the guests who where locked out.

So don’t be put off by the Sarah B review - go stay there yourself and enjoy the beauty of Austwick and the surrounding Dales!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Just returned from another visit to Wood View. First class as always and the refurbished rooms are lovely. Sue and David are the most helpful and lovely hosts we have ever experienced in a B&B and it truly is a home from home. The Gamecock next door provided a welcome Sunday lunch and Ravenous in Settle just 10 minutes away is exceptional. Great location from which to explore the dales. Can't wait for another visit.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was my second time staying at Wood View. My first experience was very pleasant so I opted to return here for the night with my boyfriend to share the experience I had had. Unfortunately this time I did not enjoy my night here. On arrival, we were ushered to our room, I firstly remembered on my last visit, we were offered a cup of tea on arrival and sat around the fire in the lounge. Having read other reviews it seems 90% of people were also greeted with this attentive welcome. I felt the room lacked somewhat to the one I had stayed in last time, and also had a gigantic beam running from one end of the room to the other. I am 5"9 and my boyfriend is 6"3 so this was not ideal especially when I bent down the next morning I really banged my head. Also the room was extremely cold, David had informed us that it would warm up soon but after an hour and a half we decided to plug in the extra heater which we found in the corner of the room. In the evening we ate at the Game Cock Inn which was lovely and you get 10% off if staying at Wood View. On our return to Wood View at around 10pm, I admittedly made the mistake of locking the front door. For some reason because all guests were given a key, I thought this was ok, however I didn't realise locking from the inside, ment the door could only be opened from the inside. My silly mistake. We had a relaxing sleep and the beds are very comfortable. Breakfast was very tasty and both Sue and David were very friendly. Unfortunately I was informed about the trouble I had caused with the door the night before and felt completely embarrassed! Another couple could not get into the guest house and it all caused quite a kerfuffle. After a few nervous laughs I apologised to both Sue & David and the other couple. However I felt the situation went from being a joke, to making me feel extremely uncomfortable, when it was simply a mistake. There was only my boyfriend and I, and two other couples dining that morning, so was quite personal, which usually I would not mind. However the lady who had been locked out passed the comment 'I think David was more concerned when he remembered it was a scouse couple who had locked themselves inside' I realise this was a 'joke' however it did make me feel extremely uncomfortable. It also made me think if it was my parents who were staying in Wood View, would this comment of been made? Or was it purely because we were a young couple, and not a typical guest of Wood View. I am not one to moan, but I did feel a little upset on my departure. The weekend didn't come cheap and I had felt a little let down. I won't be returning to Wood View, and its a shame that I am not left with the feeling I had from my first experience staying here. To anyone wanting to stay in the area, I wouldn't be deterred. I just feel maybe this time it wasn't for us.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Austwick, Owner at Wood View Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Sarah B is not the only one who is ‘disappointed’, as after 8 years and 40 reviews on Trip Advisor, these are the first negative comments of any sort that we have received from a guest, so it would be fair to say that we are rather disappointed too! Wood View is a small B&B in the Yorkshire Dales that primarily caters for the needs of walkers and cyclists, however we also have many satisfied, regular visitors of all ages that do not fall into either category.
The room that ‘lacked somewhat’ is one of 2 King Sized rooms that we have at the top of the house and which have a large wooden beam across the length of the room that form part of the early 18th century roof structure. As in many traditional houses of this age, the beams, low ceilings and uneven floors are part of the character of the building and unfortunately even we bang our heads occasionally!
When we have guests during the winter months we always have the central heating on twenty four hours a day, with the thermostat on each floor set to what seems to be an appropriate temperature for the prevailing weather conditions. This does not mean that the radiators are constantly hot, but it does mean that the rooms should be comfortable for most guests’ requirements and if anyone who particularly feels the cold asks for the heating to be turned up then of course we would immediately comply with the request. Some of our rooms also have additional heaters, which Sarah B was able to make good use of.
Many of our visitors comment about having a welcome drink in front of the fire in the Guest Lounge. This is where I must hold up my hand and say that I did not ask at the time of arrival if Sarah and her partner would like a drink, but I realised at once that I had omitted to do this and waited for the couple to come down so that I could offer them tea and scones by the fire, but unfortunately they did not appear until much later on their way to the neighbouring pub, by which time it was too late.
With regard to the unfortunate ‘locking out incident’, it is difficult to see how else we could have managed the situation. Sarah inadvertently put the dead lock on the front door, thereby preventing ourselves and some late arriving guests from getting into the house. Thankfully we managed to wake up the guests in a first floor bedroom by throwing stones at the window and they let us in. I told Sarah at breakfast that we had been locked out and she was most apologetic, but we all made a joke of it and as far as we were concerned no harm was done. Although this has never happened before we have now taken steps to ensure that it doesn’t happen again!
We were at least pleased to read some positives in Sarah’s review in that she & her partner had ‘a relaxing sleep and the beds are very comfortable. Breakfast was very tasty and both Sue and David were very friendly.’
On a final point in our response, Sarah says that ‘The weekend didn't come cheap’. In fact the couple only stayed with us on the Saturday night and paid our single night tariff of £43 each for bed & breakfast in a King sized room with a large en-suite bathroom, which we consider is good value for money. It is not our usual policy to let rooms for only one night at a weekend, but in this case we made an exception.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Sue and David are a lovely couple, who really go the extra mile to look after their guests. They live in a beautiful old house set in the heart of the quiet village of Austwick, in the Yorkshire Dales. Their rooms are decorated with care, well-furnished, quiet, with all the conveniences you would like! They give a friendly welcome, and even cater for Gluten-free guests without any worries! We have stayed with them for several years now, and really look forwrad to seeing them each year - a real home-from-home.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We have been visiting Sue and David at the Woodview for around seven years now, and feel it’s time to write a review.
Once again, we stayed with them during the New Year period, and once again their B & B rates were charged at the usual rate, and not inflated to make the most of seasonal demands. If there ever was a couple with a natural ability to make guests feel at home, hosts Sue and David fit the bill.
On arrival on a winter’s day, guest are greeted in the lounge to an open fire, tea and refreshments, and advice on walks and places of interest. David, being a keen mountain biker, has an excellent knowledge of the local lanes and fells. The breakfasts are cooked to order at a time (within reason) suitable to guests using fresh produce, and are excellent. Should you choose to have dinner at the village pub, The Game Cock, a reduction is given to guests of the Woodview. Unusually for a Dale’s pub, its run by a French family who cater for visitors, and the pub grub makes a visit worth while.
Austwick has a rural charm, and street lighting has yet to reach the village which adds to the relaxed feeling of the community. In this hectic world we live in, to still be able to enjoy this gem just a short distance from the busy A65 is still a treat we enjoy.
We shall return !

Room Tip: All rooms are cosy and comfortable, and most face the village green.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple