“Still the best”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Austwick
Wood View Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 6 Austwick B&B and Inns
Southport
“Still the best”
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from another visit to Wood View. First class as always and the refurbished rooms are lovely. Sue and David are the most helpful and lovely hosts we have ever experienced in a B&B and it truly is a home from home. The Gamecock next door provided a welcome Sunday lunch and Ravenous in Settle just 10 minutes away is exceptional. Great location from which to explore the dales. Can't wait for another visit.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was my second time staying at Wood View. My first experience was very pleasant so I opted to return here for the night with my boyfriend to share the experience I had had. Unfortunately this time I did not enjoy my night here. On arrival, we were ushered to our room, I firstly remembered on my last visit, we were offered a cup of tea on arrival and sat around the fire in the lounge. Having read other reviews it seems 90% of people were also greeted with this attentive welcome. I felt the room lacked somewhat to the one I had stayed in last time, and also had a gigantic beam running from one end of the room to the other. I am 5"9 and my boyfriend is 6"3 so this was not ideal especially when I bent down the next morning I really banged my head. Also the room was extremely cold, David had informed us that it would warm up soon but after an hour and a half we decided to plug in the extra heater which we found in the corner of the room. In the evening we ate at the Game Cock Inn which was lovely and you get 10% off if staying at Wood View. On our return to Wood View at around 10pm, I admittedly made the mistake of locking the front door. For some reason because all guests were given a key, I thought this was ok, however I didn't realise locking from the inside, ment the door could only be opened from the inside. My silly mistake. We had a relaxing sleep and the beds are very comfortable. Breakfast was very tasty and both Sue and David were very friendly. Unfortunately I was informed about the trouble I had caused with the door the night before and felt completely embarrassed! Another couple could not get into the guest house and it all caused quite a kerfuffle. After a few nervous laughs I apologised to both Sue & David and the other couple. However I felt the situation went from being a joke, to making me feel extremely uncomfortable, when it was simply a mistake. There was only my boyfriend and I, and two other couples dining that morning, so was quite personal, which usually I would not mind. However the lady who had been locked out passed the comment 'I think David was more concerned when he remembered it was a scouse couple who had locked themselves inside' I realise this was a 'joke' however it did make me feel extremely uncomfortable. It also made me think if it was my parents who were staying in Wood View, would this comment of been made? Or was it purely because we were a young couple, and not a typical guest of Wood View. I am not one to moan, but I did feel a little upset on my departure. The weekend didn't come cheap and I had felt a little let down. I won't be returning to Wood View, and its a shame that I am not left with the feeling I had from my first experience staying here. To anyone wanting to stay in the area, I wouldn't be deterred. I just feel maybe this time it wasn't for us.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Austwick, Owner at Wood View Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Sarah B is not the only one who is ‘disappointed’, as after 8 years and 40 reviews on Trip Advisor, these are the first negative comments of any sort that we have received from a guest, so it would be fair to say that we are rather disappointed too! Wood View is a small B&B in the Yorkshire Dales that primarily caters for the needs of walkers and cyclists, however we also have many satisfied, regular visitors of all ages that do not fall into either category.
The room that ‘lacked somewhat’ is one of 2 King Sized rooms that we have at the top of the house and which have a large wooden beam across the length of the room that form part of the early 18th century roof structure. As in many traditional houses of this age, the beams, low ceilings and uneven floors are part of the character of the building and unfortunately even we bang our heads occasionally!
When we have guests during the winter months we always have the central heating on twenty four hours a day, with the thermostat on each floor set to what seems to be an appropriate temperature for the prevailing weather conditions. This does not mean that the radiators are constantly hot, but it does mean that the rooms should be comfortable for most guests’ requirements and if anyone who particularly feels the cold asks for the heating to be turned up then of course we would immediately comply with the request. Some of our rooms also have additional heaters, which Sarah B was able to make good use of.
Many of our visitors comment about having a welcome drink in front of the fire in the Guest Lounge. This is where I must hold up my hand and say that I did not ask at the time of arrival if Sarah and her partner would like a drink, but I realised at once that I had omitted to do this and waited for the couple to come down so that I could offer them tea and scones by the fire, but unfortunately they did not appear until much later on their way to the neighbouring pub, by which time it was too late.
With regard to the unfortunate ‘locking out incident’, it is difficult to see how else we could have managed the situation. Sarah inadvertently put the dead lock on the front door, thereby preventing ourselves and some late arriving guests from getting into the house. Thankfully we managed to wake up the guests in a first floor bedroom by throwing stones at the window and they let us in. I told Sarah at breakfast that we had been locked out and she was most apologetic, but we all made a joke of it and as far as we were concerned no harm was done. Although this has never happened before we have now taken steps to ensure that it doesn’t happen again!
We were at least pleased to read some positives in Sarah’s review in that she & her partner had ‘a relaxing sleep and the beds are very comfortable. Breakfast was very tasty and both Sue and David were very friendly.’
On a final point in our response, Sarah says that ‘The weekend didn't come cheap’. In fact the couple only stayed with us on the Saturday night and paid our single night tariff of £43 each for bed & breakfast in a King sized room with a large en-suite bathroom, which we consider is good value for money. It is not our usual policy to let rooms for only one night at a weekend, but in this case we made an exception.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Sue and David are a lovely couple, who really go the extra mile to look after their guests. They live in a beautiful old house set in the heart of the quiet village of Austwick, in the Yorkshire Dales. Their rooms are decorated with care, well-furnished, quiet, with all the conveniences you would like! They give a friendly welcome, and even cater for Gluten-free guests without any worries! We have stayed with them for several years now, and really look forwrad to seeing them each year - a real home-from-home.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We have been visiting Sue and David at the Woodview for around seven years now, and feel it’s time to write a review.
Once again, we stayed with them during the New Year period, and once again their B & B rates were charged at the usual rate, and not inflated to make the most of seasonal demands. If there ever was a couple with a natural ability to make guests feel at home, hosts Sue and David fit the bill.
On arrival on a winter’s day, guest are greeted in the lounge to an open fire, tea and refreshments, and advice on walks and places of interest. David, being a keen mountain biker, has an excellent knowledge of the local lanes and fells. The breakfasts are cooked to order at a time (within reason) suitable to guests using fresh produce, and are excellent. Should you choose to have dinner at the village pub, The Game Cock, a reduction is given to guests of the Woodview. Unusually for a Dale’s pub, its run by a French family who cater for visitors, and the pub grub makes a visit worth while.
Austwick has a rural charm, and street lighting has yet to reach the village which adds to the relaxed feeling of the community. In this hectic world we live in, to still be able to enjoy this gem just a short distance from the busy A65 is still a treat we enjoy.
We shall return !

Room Tip: All rooms are cosy and comfortable, and most face the village green.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Uttoxeter
Reviewed November 6, 2012

What a wonderful holiday we had, such a quaint and comfortable stay with a fantastic breakfast, lovely people and beautiful scenery. From the moment we arrived our hosts made us feel really welcome, showing us our well decorated, clean and spacious room, with soft bedding and fluffy towels - first impressions were great. Stairs are a bit steep and the beams are a bit low in places so be careful.

Not too fussed about the Traddock hotel just down the road where we went for a drink in the evening - felt a bit like we were intruding.

Breakfast was excellent, we ordered it the night before using a check list so that when we came down the next morning there was less faffing about. Nice breakfast room, very cozy with the other guests and our hosts are very knowledgable about the local area - we had such a great day out visiting the highest pub, the Wendsleydale Creamery and a number of different beauty spots in the local area.

A very quiet and comfortable night's sleep and all in all, a wonderful get away. Thank you

Room Tip: They're all good
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tas, Aus
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This is a lovely B&B with very nice, clean and comfortable rooms. The owners are really friendly and knowledgeable about walks in the area. Great breakfast. Austwick is lovely. Ideal spot for a Dales holiday

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here last weekend, while we did the Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge. We had a great stay and David and Sue are very welcoming and attentive.

Upon arrival, we were shown to our room, where we then had a nice cup of tea downstairs with David and Sue. David has done the Three Peaks previously and offered to go through the route with us, which he knew like the back of his hand. He provided us with lots of tips and knowledge and helped restore a bit of confidence about our trek.

The B&B is also only about a 10 minute drive from Horton, where we started our challenge. Wood View also offer free car parking, for those travelling quite far.

Because we were leaving so early for the trek, meaning we'd miss breakfast, Sue made us a lovely packed lunch to take with us to make up for it. We had breakfast on our second day there though, where we had a choice of porridge, fry up, cereals etc...

Beds are very comfy, rooms are a good size and we had a lovely bathroom with a nice deep bathtub, perfect after our 11 hour trek.

Next door is a lovely little pub called the Game Cock Inn, which you can get 10% off food if you stay at Wood View.

We had a great stay at Wood View. Would recommend to anyone!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austwick
The Traddock
#1 of 1 in Giggleswick
Brookhouse Guest House
Brookhouse Guest House
#3 of 5 in Clapham

Been to Wood View Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!