Dalesbridge Bunkhouses & Campsite
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
New Inn Hotel(Clapham)
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
The Traddock(Austwick)
TripAdvisor
The Whoop Hall(Kirkby Lonsdale)
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
Orange Tree Hotel(Kirkby Lonsdale)
  • Restaurant
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsbunk housegame cockloo rollhorton in ribblesdaletoiletspeakspitchesdog
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 10, 2013

8 of us stayed in 2 four person bunkhouses for a family walking weekend this weekend. Oh dear. We expected basic accommodation and knew the equipment it did have and didn't have. What we weren't expecting was the state of uncleanliness. A sign in the "dining area" says "Please leave the bunkhouse as you would expect to find it." You would need to spend a fortnight cleaning it to get it to an acceptable state.

The sheets on the beds had clearly not been washed in a long time and the stains on them, well I would hate to think what they were!! Some had holes in them revealing the dirty mattresses.The whole place had not been cleaned at all. The windows had dead flies on the sills and were grimy. The "dining" area was dirty as were the crockery and cutlery. They all had to be washed prior to being used.

My brother in law had to clean round in their bathroom to remove numerous stains that were either blood or faeces. Neither bathroom had had even a basic clean in a long time and were frankly a disgrace.

On Saturday morning there was no hot water for the showers in our bunkhouses or in the outside shower block. On Sunday morning there was no hot water in the wash up room.

The walls were paper thin but fortunately we were all family. The toilet flush was so loud it would wake everyone staying in the centre and beyond.

Overall, poor value for money and would I stay in one of the bunkhouses here again? Never. And if anyone is reading this, I would recommend you look for alternative accommodation.

Room Tip: Look for an alternative bunkhouse or hostel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I have stayed at Dalesbridge before but always been camping,as the site is in a great location. As it was October I decided against camping, and thought give the bunkhouse a go. Oh dear not a great experience at all
Check in and communication prior to arriving was excellent. When I asked about cooking facilities I was advised that the 4 person bunkhouse only had microwave, so I was upgraded to the 6 person one which had microwave and a cooker as well as toaster kettle and fridge. On the plus side I was there for 3 nights and had the place to myself. I would certainly not like to stay there if there were 4 or more people, there is no space. All that is in the room is 3 double bunkbeds, a table/bench seat and a small bench style place to sit in 1 corner

The walls are paper thin and you can hear absolutely every thing from the bunkhouses next door.

The toilet is open plan in as much as it also has the shower there as well. There is no shower curtain or cubicle, the water almost hits the toilet plan when it is switched on. The toilet when flushed could probably be heard in the village of Auswick a mile away.

You have to bring all your own bedding including pillows, there is only a sheet supplied on the base of the bed. Oh dear the state of some of the sheets, with stains all over them left a lot to be desired. The table was also very grubby and no amount of scrubbing would take the stickiness away. The whole room wreaked of desparation, it was sooo depressing and in need of a lick of paint some TLC and good clean. Luckiliy enough I was out walking all day and only really slept in the place.

For a 6 person bunkhouse there was also a real lack of plates, and kitchen utensils etc, eg no tin opener

At a cost of £17.5 per night I found this to be a little expensive compared to other places I have stayed. I had stayed in a bunkhouse further up on the east coast the previous 2 night at £15 per night which had sofas, TV/DVD, plenty of space and was spotlessly clean.

The bunkhouse if £94 per night for 6people so I would guess around £600/£700 per week. You could do yourself a favour and hire a cottage

Would I return not a chance

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Me and my partner recently stayed with some friends, some of us were camping and others took up some of the bunkhouses. The staff were all extremely helpful and couldn't do enough to help, they were also able to reccomend local walks and places to eat and took the time to stop and have a chat. The toilets were kept clean and the water was hot (which is a must for my partner), we will definately be returning to Dalesbridge as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Definately try the game cock for a meal, you won't leave unhappy!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank RyanP26
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My family were with a big group stayed at these bunk houses, infact, we occupied all the bunk houses. Staying at number 1 bunk house was like staying at an airport. Its connected to the toilets of the other campers which everytime they used their taps or toilets, it flushed like its going to suck you up too. U heard the snores and even every breaths of next door. The floor was so dirty, the windows are cobwebs and the worst, upon arrival our toilet was dirty. I checked it with the others, and they all said the same. Too expensive for what u get. No function hall so we had to pitch a big tent to gather all the group.£64 for the 4 bedded and £96 for the 6 bedded. This is a rip off!

Room Tip: Pitch a tent, its better than the bunk houses
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Jon B, Manager at Dalesbridge Bunkhouses & Campsite, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear Anabelle

Thank you for your frank review. I am sorry that you felt our bunkhouse was not clean, if you had mentioned it during your stay or on arrival we would have done our best to rectify things. The outside of the bunkhouse and the windows do attract cobwebs and this is to be expected given our rural location and open aspect.

Unfortunately some of the plumbing connected to bunk 1 does appear to have become noisier as the season has progressed - this is something we will look to rectify as soon as possible

We do have large function rooms available but your group that had taken a number but not all our bunkhouse elected not to use them.

Once again our apologies that the bunkhouse did not meet your expectations, at £16 per person per night we think they represent good valve for money. If more luxury is required then we do have our B&B rooms within Dalesbridge House.

Jon Beavan

Reviewed August 29, 2013

First time camping for me so I don't have much to compare the site to however I stayed with well travelled campers who really liked the site and we all had a great time. The site was very clean and even though we experienced rain the shower and toilet blocks held up and didn't show too many signs of water and mud. It was quite quiet when we stayed with the field we were staying in only containing our 4 tents, a scattering of others and a camper van. The staff were very helpful and provided helpful hints on local points of interest and nice spots to pitch our tents.
Ideal for exploring the Yorkshire Dales area as its not far from Settle and there are waterfalls to see nearby too.
If you do go walking to the village in the evening its best to take a torch to get back as there are no streetlights or lamps on the campsite.

Room Tip: Pitch your tent on the rear field if you can, its further away from the main road so a bit quieter and you maybe able to use the stone wall as a wind break
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends