“Wish Our Stay was Longer”

The Finch Hatton Arms
Ranked #4 of 12 Sleaford B&B and Inns
Airdrie, United Kingdom
“Wish Our Stay was Longer”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We were very late in arriving due to an Accident en route. I phoned and warned about our lateness and to ask whether we would be able to get food. We were told that the kitchen closed at nine, but if we were there not long after they'd make sure we got something to eat. We arrived just 5 minutes after nine and were delighted with the 2 steaming bowls of soup and crusty bread, we also had a bowl of chips between us. This was exactly what we needed after a long journey. The room was clean and comfortable and breakfast was lovely. Clearly quality produce used. The owner and staff were friendly. I would stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
South Killingholme, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Had a wonderful lunch with my daughter. We both ordered the salmon and prawn salad and it was perfect also had a portion of chips to share, we were pleased we didn't order one each because it was generous. The home made warm bread slices were delicious. will certainly pay another visit. Staff were very helpful and cheerful.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ann H
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Myself and 2 other guests stayed 2 nights. The hosts where very friendly and helpful. The rooms that we stayed in where clean and nicely decorated. There where adequate facilities to make drinks. N I will miss the lovely shower.
We dined one night in the restaurant and I would advise to book in advance. Luckily they where able to accommodate use. The meal was fantastic I had rib eye steak and ohhhh my god sticky toffee pudding. Was beautiful.
My only criticism is that it was so warm in the night (I think someone messed with the thermos), my tv had no remote(although I never asked for one) and the cleaners where that efficient they took my towel to the laundry (being rectified) this said it did not effect my visit and made for some fun stories about our time away.
I would DEFINITELY return to the finch-hatton :-)

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Loughborough
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Anyone interested in the film "Out of Africa" should visit this hotel. Robert Redford took the role of The Hon. Denys Finch Hatton, but although played well, he did not portray the fact that Denys was the second son of the Earl of Winchelsea and Nottingham, educated at Eton and Oxford, a gifted man, of huge charisma. Denys was brought up at the family home, Haverholme Priory, now a ruin, just outside the village of Ewerby, and the family plot is in the adjacent churchyard accross the road from the hotel, the keyholder will be happy to let you in to the church to see more memorials, including a copy of the one on Denys's grave in Kenya. There are numerous photographs and newspaper features on show to add to the information, on the hotel walls.

We had room 11, this was large and very well furnished as was the en suite which was huge and boasted a beautiful free standing bath in the centre. Also had a large shower. It was peaceful and clean. We had a delicious meal, for main course we both had fillet steak, we agreed was top quality and the whole meal was excellent. We will return.

Room Tip: Room 11, although we were told it was being refurbished.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maggie W
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My wife and I, had Sunday lunch at the Finch Hatton Arms today. It is without doubt one of the best meals you can have. We both had roast beef and it was delightful. The staff are great and very friendly, it really is a place to enjoy.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank raymond h
Sleaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Like a previous reviewer - we too had a similar experience regarding having children in our party. The adults ordered from the set menu - £15/head for 2 courses. On asking about a child's menu the said they would be happy to do a smaller portion if as anything on the menu. We chose the fish & chips but it was pointed out that this dish couldn't be halved. we ordered this regardless. we all then chose deserts from the set menu. But because the fish & chips wasn't on the set menu our child meal ended up costing more then ours! If they had just charged us another set menu price I wouldn't have wrote this review. I think they need to show a little more consideration to those with children. I won't be bothering again with this place. Btw the food was nice.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank l b
netherlands
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Very nice place, relaxed atmosphere.
Good beds, although matrasses could be firmer (is a taste thing)
Clean and good bathroom.
Authentic building.
Good breakfast made to order.
Convenient location near Sleaford so not too far from the main roads Peterborough-Lincoln and Boston-Newark-on-Trent), but still an oasis.

We did not get the opportunity to sample the food, as they do not serve dinners on Sundays.
That was probably somewehere to be read while booking but we overlooked that.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sleaford
Travelodge Sleaford Hotel
#1 of 1 in Aswarby
Byards Leap Lodge
Byards Leap Lodge
#2 of 12 in Sleaford

Been to The Finch Hatton Arms? Share your experiences!