“Wonderful Food, Brilliant Staff!!”

The Finch Hatton Arms
Ranked #6 of 12 Sleaford B&B and Inns
lincs
“Wonderful Food, Brilliant Staff!!”
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night as part of a Groupon deal. The place itself is very charming on the exterior and that follows through into the interior. The bar is very cosy with a roaring fire, but was a tad cold and drafty if sitting anywhere close to the entrance.
Couldnt fault the food or service...100% !!
Its just our room that let it down. Very basic, no headboard, dusty, faulty kettle, noisy from other guests, very cold when even the radiators were on. Rooms need soundproofing and a good revitalise.

Wouldnt intend on staying again. But would seriously recommend for good hearty meal lunch or evening.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank youngy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013

A lovely quaint hotel with a lot of character. We were greeted very warmly by a lovely girl who went out of her way to look after us during our stay. The room was very clean and cosy. I would say we wanted for nothing. The breakfast was very generous and extremely tasty. We did not get much time to experience the bar but the time we were there it was very welcoming and I could have sat and relaxed there for a good few hours. Will be looking to use this hotel again and would recommend for that short stop-over or weekend getaway.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed a couple of nights at this Hotel/Restaurant for my birthday on a Groupon deal. It was in a lovely tiny village called Ewerby, Nr Sleaford. The room we were shown was quite small but perfectly formed. Comfy bed, linen and room spotlessly clean, shower room nicely decorated and the bar had a welcoming roaring fire, which was much appreciated as we were experiencing a really cold spell. Tea and coffee making facilities were available. Staff were very pleasant and found time to chat even though they were busy. The restaurant served excellent food and it was obviously a very popular place. The breakfast was excellent, the sausage was to die for - so much so that the Proprietor/Chef sold me some to take home (at a greatly reduced price). He was exceptionally obliging and a very pleasant chap indeed. Would certainly recommend for a couple of nights away and only an hour's drive from where we live. We hope to return. We paid an enjoyable visit to Lincoln Cathedral and surrounding area, Stamford and Newark.

Room Tip: There were larger rooms and a "Honeymoon Suite" which looked really good. We had a peek a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Myself and partner stayed at The Finch Hatton 7th-8th March. We booked this as part of a Groupon deal for my birthday. Although the offer was for weekend stays only, John who I spoke to on the phone agreed to allow us to stay Thurs & Fri on the same deal. Unfortunately on arrival the double room I had booked was not available and we were offered a twin for the first night. As this was supposed to be a romantic little getaway I had to decline the offer. No problem at all. The hotel is full during the week with contractors who are working nearby and our room was still occupied by one of them. John was very helpful (as was the lady who was behind the bar but I didn't get her name), asked if we were happy to wait in the bar area and when the current occupant returned they would move him to the twin room so that we could start our break in one bed! Didn't take long and this was done. The room was of an average size with plenty of storage and very homely. The only fault we found was that in their haste to prepare the room for us the valance sheet on the bed was not changed and there was evidence of workmens boots having rubbed against the skirt of the valance. I wanted to bring this to John's attention but the other half told me just to leave it, which I did because quite frankly, it's not like we were having to sleep on that sheet, it was under the mattress. We ate in the restaurant on both nights and had breakfast both mornings and I have to say this could not be faulted. Both evening meals were delicious and very well cooked. The food was better than some top class restaurants we have eaten in. And who was doing the cooking? Yes it was John. He was there from dawn til dusk. John also 'took care' of a poorly fox and put it out of it's misery. I must mention that all staff here were very pleasant and friendly.
All in all a very pleasant stay, not much to do in the area but we went into nearby Lincoln for a spot of shopping and some lunch.
Would I recommend the Finch Hatton to friends? Yes I would, even if it was just for them to sample the food. Thank you to all at The Finch Hatton.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

The place looks lovely on arrival, the bar is nice, cosy and fairly priced. The staff are friendly and there was no mix up with the booking, I booked through laterooms. We arrived and were shown to our room, the room was basic, small tv, good shower, warm, comfy bed and nice crisp sheets. For what we paid I thought that the room was quite good but then we went to bed! I could hear the man in the next bedroom snoring all night and then in the morning I could hear every word of the conversation between the two Birmingham sounding couple next door who were discussing the bathroom tiles etc. if we could hear them then they could hear us! A bit disturbing and felt like we were away as a foursome. The breakfast was yummy, smoked mackerel, toast and juice. The wine was good and reasonably priced, location good and the general feel was a comfy village pub with rooms but I suggest they get soundproofed walls. I wouldn't stay again unless they put me in a room where I could actually sleep without being kept awake by a guy snoring who wasn't even in my bed! Shame as the bed was comfy, I was tired and my own husband wasn't even snoring so it made for an excellent, well deserved Mother's Day eve sleep. Oh well!

Room Tip: One that does not have neighbours
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardigan
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We were told a couple of days before we were due to arrive that our room was no longer available. The manager refused to take any responsibility for this - blaming instead laterooms.com. (Who incidently blame the hotel and also only published reviews they like or agree with!!! so don't be fooled! The alternative room they found me the night before we were supposed to leave was a nasty hotel where i would have to share a sofa bed with my partner in the same room as my parents!). When I asked the manager to investigate further whose fault it was that our room had been over booked at such short notice I was told by him that there was no need to investigate, the room was gone and that is that. Lovely bit of management.
To be fair the manager did offer us a massive discount of £7.50 off our next stay, considering this actually ruined our whole weekend as we did not have time to re-book anywhere and most the decent places were full we had to cancel the whole trip, which was for a very special occasion. The manager did offer to find us an alternative - not that I would have trusted him to!
Potentially this could have been a very nice place to stay...however I would say its a massive risk to book here, be prepared to be disappointed at the last minute. Not to be relied upon.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KevinCaren
Stoke
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed for one night when visiting cranwell which is only about 10 mins away. Room was nice, light and airy with a large shower. Bed was comfy and usual tea and coffee etc in room with option of fresh milk if you asked. Didn't eat in the bar in the evening but it was buzzing and very busy. Had late drink in the bar on return and John the owner / chef took time to chat ( despite his takeaway tea having been delivered!!). Breakfast the next morning was busy and we waited a while but apologies were made and it was a good freshly coked breakfast done on request ( not buffet style) with lovely scrambled eggs.
Only criticism would be its an old building and the noise does travel between rooms and a very cute but very noisy baby did disturb our sleep slightly!! Not the owners fault though. Would we recommend - yes. Will we stay again - yes.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sleaford
Belton Woods Hotel
#2 of 12 in Sleaford
The Tally Ho Inn
The Tally Ho Inn
#1 of 1 in Aswarby

Been to The Finch Hatton Arms? Share your experiences!