“Great "early bird" menu”

The Finch Hatton Arms
Ranked #4 of 12 Sleaford B&B and Inns
Bournemouth
“Great "early bird" menu”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We had a lovely two-course dinner at much reduced prices by going early evening. No starter was offered, but a main course plus dessert were quite sufficient, given the portion size of the mains. The quality & style of the food was far better than a typical hotel restaurant at these prices.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Hampshire
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Stayed at the Finch Hatton for a night recently whilst in the area doing touristy things. Arrived around 4ish on a wet Saturday and headed straight for the bar where we were checked in straightaway and shown to our room: and what a room it was, quite enormous and beautifully furnished with a just as enormous en suite with massive bath and shower. Possibly the nicest room I've stayed in anywhere, nice enough to be a bridal suite! Noticed there were no tea bags or milk with the tray set, obviously an oversight. Downstairs in the historic building are 2 bars and a separate restaurant, which is where we had our dinner. The food was very nice indeed: I had the Cheese Souffle with Smoked Salmon, Pork Loin, and Creme Brule, all of which was well cooked and chosen off a huge menu with something to suit most tastes. Personally I found the portion sizes a little on the large side but my better half did not so perhaps it's a girl thing. After an excellent nights sleep, breakfast was a hearty plateful of all the usual stuff. We paid a very reasonable rate for our night compared rates in Lincoln which I found too high, I was delighted to have found this place: still not sure if it's a pub, restaurant with rooms or hotel, but frankly who cares.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thehippohaslanded
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Arriving at this hotel it seemed a very pretty building in a lovely village, but the charm wore off the minute I entered the hotel. There is no reception and no signs to tell you there is none. So by elimination I was forced to go into the public bar, trailing my suitcase, at which point everyone stopped what they were doing and turned to stare at me, and my mother and niece who were behind me with their suitcases. I said I couldn't find the reception and the sullen dark haired barmaid said there was none, that we should take a seat and she would be right with us. This seemed OK so we took a seat and waited. About five minutes passed, and she was not with us, so I went and waited until she finished serving beer to a customer and asked her how long she would be. She looked annoyed and said "please take a seat I'll be with you in a minute". Another five minutes or more passed while we continued to watch her pouring pints for her locals and chatting and joking with them. At this point my mother decided to have a go, and so went and asked a young blonde waitress for help. She looked surprised we had been left sitting with no service and immediately got on it, so that we soon had our rooms. If we had left it to the dark haired sullen barmaid I'm sure we could easily have been waiting forty five minutes or more. We had two rooms that were OK, but whoever designed them had clearly spent more time thinking about appearance than practicality, so that my mother's shower was hard for her to use, and mine was simply broken, so that I had to take a cold shower in the morning. After I had taken a breath and braved this I then discovered another nice Finch Hatton Arms touch, which was that my bedroom window gave directly onto a fire escape that other guests were using as a smoking spot. I couldn't be bothered to complain, but I decided I would let the manager know about the shower so that it could at least be fixed for the next guest. When I found him it turned out he already did know, and wasn't particularly bothered. He just shrugged and went on about his business, without even apologising. I know service is often an alien concept in England, but this place is taking the proverbial.

4 Thank Fabrice W
UK
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Scallops cooked to perfection served with black pudding. Spectacular fish and chips and passion fruit sorbet to finish. I have enjoyed most of the dishes on the menu and they are all fantastic. I eat here regularly with friends and business colleagues and ALWAYS receive a warm welcome from a great bunch of happy people. This building is beautiful and worth visiting just for a drink to enjoy the ambience. Great reading material provided - including a book about the houses in the very pretty village. If you have seen the film "Out of Africa" you will know of the Finch Hattons!!! The villagers who drink at the bar are very, very welcoming too - all adding to a brilliant atmosphere. Highly, highly recommended. For those who like to be rolling out of a restaurant looking like a barrel (never a good look), it's not for them - but, for the elegant, it is superb both for business, friends and romantics.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2012

The staff were friendly and the amibience was good. Small complaints- the wifi didnt work despite having brought it to the attnetion of the staff and in the morning the hot water in the bathroom was tepid. The evening meal was excellent but the service could have been better- we were left unattended for too long. The portions were good and the servings of the vegetables was more then enough to cater for the 5 of us.

boston
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I cannot say enough about John and his staff at the Finch Hatton Arms. What a treat...excellent accommodations with hospitality to match.

David
Boston, MA

Sleaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Stopped here for a sunday lunch, The beef was fantastic, but was let down by the lack of vegetables, One small dish between 2 people, and also frozen peas! The gravy was also too salty, I think for the price of £8.95 this was very poor. There was not alot of choice on the desert menu, which were priced at £5.95. I wont be rushing to go back there, was still really hungrey when we left.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank angel-fish16
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sleaford
Travelodge Sleaford Hotel
#1 of 1 in Aswarby
Byards Leap Lodge
Byards Leap Lodge
#2 of 12 in Sleaford

Been to The Finch Hatton Arms? Share your experiences!