“Unacceptable Conditions” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Scunthorpe
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Unacceptable Conditions”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Even though this is a budget hotel I expect as a paying customer the rooms and shared areas to be thoroughly cleaned but in fact the carpets and seat coverings smelt of stale swet but I can't be sure it wasn't other bodily fluids. I was awoken in the early hours (5.30ish) of the morning by nightshift workers who were smoking and drinking alcohol outside my room window. I made a complaint to the off going night receptionist who made me feel I was making a fuss. The website said the hotel had been renovated but I was told by the receptionist that carpets had not been renewed; they certainly hadn't been deep cleaned. There was no smell or evidence of cleaning product use therefore I can only presume only water was used. Overall a very unsatisfactory stay never to be repeated by me ... be warned.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
TravelodgeUK, Dianne from Customer Care at Travelodge Scunthorpe, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
We’re really sorry about the poor experience you had in our hotel ATWMSimpson. We do expect our hotels to be cleaned to high standard and our staff should also provide a great service to all of our guests. We would like to take this opportunity to investigate the concerns that you have raised, please use the contact us button on our website to provide us with more information which will allow us to offer a resolution.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

Clean, comfortable room, with everything you need. Friendly, helpful staff. Brilliant location at the end of M181,out of town but with lots of facilities. Pub, Tesco, McDonalds, KFC, Frankie & Benny's, & Pizza Hut all within 200yds.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Barry W
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

If you book in advance you can get good cheap deals, and the rooms are clean, comfortable and have all the basics. It's a motel experience, not a hotel.

However I do not feel safe there. Staff should be trained to be more mindful of the security of lone females. A male friend who arrived separately was able to gain access to my room simply by giving my name (on one occasion, just my room number) at the front desk, with no check with me whether that was ok. This has happened twice out of the two times that I have stayed at Travelodge Scunthorpe - the first time I woke up to find him asleep on my sofa. In my case this was ok, as he was a friend who I would have let in anyway. But reception were not expecting him and had no way of knowing whether he was a friend of mine. What if he was someone I was trying to get away from, he was simply let into my bedroom with no checks?!

On another occasion, when my key stopped working, I went back to the receptionist, who had just changed shift so had never seen me before. On telling her the room number, she just made me another key - no check of what my name was, whether I was even staying there, no ID required or anything.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

1 Thank Liz A
TravelodgeUK, Dianne from Customer Care at Travelodge Scunthorpe, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Liz A, we are happy to hear that overall your stay was to your satisfaction. We are however concerned to read your concerns you raise over security. We do have security checks and strict policies in place to ensure our guests safety so it is surprising to learn that these were not adhered to. We would like to take this opportunity to investigate the concerns that you have raised, please use the contact us button on our website to provide us with more information so we can investigate further for you.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here because we were going to a football match at Scunthorpe United. When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised with the location of the hotel. We could see the football ground from our bedroom window. Also lots of restaurants nearby and a big Tesco. Easy check in and then we went to our room. The room looked extremely tired but the bed was very comfortable. Only a few channels worked on the TV. We found blood stains on the towels which was absolutely disgusting but the lady at reception changed them straight away and apologised. The shower was broken. It kept cutting out and the temperature changed frequently. In the end my boyfriend gave up trying to work the shower.

I think that for one night it is an ok place to sleep in. Like I said the bed was very comfortable and it was in a perfect location. I probably wouldn't stay again and instead check in to a Premier Inn even if it is further away from the ground.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
TravelodgeUK, Sophie from Customer Care at Travelodge Scunthorpe, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear sjh-1728, we are sorry to learn of the problems you encountered at our Hotel. We expect all of our guests to have clean laundry in their rooms. Our housekeeping staff are expected to check both the towels and linen in all rooms, we will ensure that the hotel are made aware of the concerns you have raised regarding this. We would like to take the opportunity to investigate your concerns regarding the shower and linen in more detail so we would very much appreciate it if you would visit our website and use the Contact Us button to provide us with more details. All customer feedback is provided to the hotel directly which helps improve the service they offer.
Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

You get what you pay for with this hotel it was good value for money and in a good location would be perfect for travelling football fans as the stadium is very close to hotel staff very friendly and helpfull.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

If all you want is a comfortable nights sleep with no frills then you could do a lot worse. Plenty of food options close by, very comfy bed and a clean tidy room. If you want packs of smelly shampoo and shower wash go elswhere and pay a lot more, more fool you!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

This travelodge has been refurbished with flat screen tv's and new dreamer beds. Perfect stopover hotel with mcdonalds, pizza hut etc and a tesco over road. It was clean and staff were friendly. Recommended if hotel needed in this area.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scunthorpe
Premier Inn Scunthorpe Hotel
Wortley House Hotel
#3 of 5 in Scunthorpe
The River Don Tavern And Lodge
Albert House Bed & Breakfast

Been to Travelodge Scunthorpe? Share your experiences!