The Royal
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Scunthorpe
Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

Food is usual pub chain fare but reasonably nice, prices are very reasonable. Service is a little slow but friendly Worth a visit if you like cheap food and drink

When football is on TV can be busy. If you don't want to watch the football don't come here

• Stayed: November 2012
GoodNightInns, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Dear Riachsion,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review, your feedback will be used to help improve the service at the Royal Hotel.

John Barras

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Dreadful service, no, make that no service at all.
Arriving in the snow, I was advised by the very same person who'd I'd made the booking with, they didn't have my room available.
Reasonable explanation or help to address the issue, had to be firmly insisted upon.
They could have done the honest and decent thing to prove some level of customer service, but would rather be ignorant.
By all accounts I had a lucky escape, the very decent local cab drivers were more than honest and helpful. Decent place for a drink but, awful accomodation by all acconts.
Best avoid.

Room Tip: Bring a cardboard box.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank M60LAN
GoodNightInns, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2012

Dear M60LAN,

Thank you for your review, we are sorry to hear of the issues you received whilst trying to book in, we have asked our management team to investigate your feedback to understand why this happened.

We have also sent you a direct message to discuss your comments further.

Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

I liked the hotel location and the free wi fi. Room was clean although the toilet wasn't as clean as it could of been!
They do a very good pint of Becks vier!
On the downside, after a 4 hour drive to the hotel, I was told to wait in reception when I wanted to check in, I waited for 10 minutes before someone eventually came out to me.
They had not opened the e-mail from my boss with payment details etc so i had to phone him and it took another 10 minutes to actually get my room key.
When I went down for dinner, my starter was out quickly but it was not hot. My main was okay but then I waited 25 minutes for my pudding (the waiter said the food alarm had been put on silent??)
There was no breakfast menu so I asked what I could have, I was told "you can have a full English" "erm okay then I'll have that"
It was swimming with grease. There really was no need to make it that greasy.
What has struck me with the staff is that 1. They are obviously understaffed and 2. The staff that they currently have really don't are about customer care.
As it stands now, the hotel isn't worth more than £35 b&b a night. My boss paid £54 a night. Expand the workforce, re-train or as a last resort replace staff and you will have an hotel with potential.
As it stands now, I won't be returning or recommending to any one.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Craig R
GoodNightInns, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Dear Craig R,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review, we ar sorry to hear of the experience you received whilst visiting the Royal Hotel, we have asked our management team to investigate the issues you have raised.

We have also sent you a direct message to discuss your comments further.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I really enjoyed my one night at this hotel. All the staff were very happy to help. I had to go into the bar to check in as the reception was not manned but someone checked me in straight away. I asked for a an ironing board and I got it very although it was very old and shabby. The staff were also really knowledgeable about the local area. I was provided directions to the place I was going and also advice on how to avoid the traffic which was nice. I had my evening meal at the bar and it was really tasty and good value for money, I would definitely recommend eating at the Royal. The breakfast the next morning was excellent and I left feeling stuffed. I also thought the room was well maintained and very clean. The staff obviously work very hard. The only negative was the building was in need of some maintenance work as the roof was leaking in several areas and there were pans in the corridor to collect water, they really need to get the roof fixed.

Room Tip: I stayed in a king size bed which was really comfortable. The room was of an adequate size and the b...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Sassy4885
GoodNightInns, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear Sassy4885,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review, we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is well located for the town centre The rooms are dated but functional, however they seem to be neglected in cleaning and maintenance.
On arrival I to had to go to the bar to check in, given a key to the room and the front door, as there is no night porter luckily as suggested by a member of staff I checked the key for the front door which did not work but was quickly changed.
The bathroom grout needs a good clean, the shower curtain rail was held together with tape, the headboard was wonky and an electrical heater in the room only had one leg( which was probably a hazard). The light in the room did not work on Sunday morning but I could n't be bothered to contact reception and they came on later.
During the 2 days there was a couple if buckets in the corridor due to a leak in the ceiling, the reception was never staffed but the bar is close by.
On check out nobody was around so I have not received a bill or credit card receipt.

• Stayed: November 2012
GoodNightInns, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Dear GMG68,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review, your feedback has been duly noted and passed to our management team to support improving the standards at the Royal.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Sc*nthorpe isn't packed with great hotels. The Royal's staff are friendly and make you feel welcome. Rooms are clean and have decent modern decor with free wifi (coverage is patchy) and LCD TV's. The bar has some decent enough beer and satellite TV. Food is of the mass produced variety - I've only eaten here once- but the "Mexican" burger, despite sounding like a disaster, was actually pretty good. Parking is tight. Book in advance, hotels in Scunny can get pretty booked up ( Lord only knows why!)

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank northodog
GoodNightInns, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Dear northodog, thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the team made you feel well looked after. Your comments have been duly noted and will be passed to the Hotel Management Team.

Reviewed May 6, 2012

As the football season has ended so will my reasons to visit the Royal ...until next season that is. I have had another 8 visits since my last review so has anything much changed. I have to say I am still extremely impressed with the place. It gives me great value, a good location and great service. The updates to the rooms were needed and have improved the experience. In the 8 visits I have had 4 different rooms - all of which have been clean, warm, and welcoming. The rooms are well serviced daily - it is certainly a 3 star hotel that gives great value, which is why I have rated it as very good. It is not a 4 star luxury hotel - I don't expect it to be. I have had several friends who have stayed in the hotel this season - all of whom have had a really great stay and have indeed returned (despite the football!) . I do sometimes have to wait to check in - but a walk into the bar and alert the staff usually brings a prompt response, as the fronk desk is not staffed 24-7. I am mostly here at weekends and the music can be loud in certain rooms until 11.30 on a saturday - it would be intrusive for some I have to say, I tend not to be in bed until then - but if your a light sleeper and want an early saturday night would ask about a suitable room not over the bar. Whilst I am not a breakfast eater several of my friends are - There is a serve yourself cereal / Juice / Coffee ... option plus a full cooked option which goes down well with those who like a "Full English" I have to say that I prefer the Royal to the other options in Town in terms of value, Location and service having tried most of them over the years; The Royal has served us very well this season. I wish I could say the same about S.U.F.C.!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Martin D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scunthorpe
Travelodge Scunthorpe
#1 of 2 in Brigg
Larchwood Hotel
Larchwood Hotel
#3 of 12 in Scunthorpe

Been to The Royal? Share your experiences!