“Wedding”

Best Western Oaklands Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Laceby
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My sons wedding here on 25 May was the most fabulous event. I cannot speak highly enough of the organisers, they made quite a difficult and stressful process a great deal easier. It's so comforting when you realise that they have a solution for every problem and perhaps naively I did not realise that there are so many things to think about. The marriage ceremony, the wedding reception and the evening buffet were all as described and better; we supplied our own disco. We sat down 100 for a meal that gave a choice, we had beef or salmon. The veg was plentiful and hot, the desert well presented and enjoyed by all. However, all that is as we expected, we chose this venue because that was promised. What we got in addition was a well managed and seamless transition between the elements of the day. So seamless that we did not see any of the behind the scenes activity which turned a marriage room into our dining room and later into our disco and buffet and these transitions are so key to making a special day. Thanks to all the staff, I do not name anyone in particular because its clearly a well honed team effort so big thanks to all of you..

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Best Western Oaklands Hall Hotel

Reviewed May 26, 2013

We received an invitation to a farmer's birthday party at the Oaklands Hall and decided to stay the night. We nearly got a room update after showing our Best Westren card. The party went on well after midnight which was an indication of sucess when you consider the age of the revellers. The meal was great and the rooms were fine even if we never fathomed out how to tune the TV in to watch BBC 1. We could watch every other channel on the map but not the six o'clock news. Breakfast was fun and fine.The only problem was that we all came down at once and rather overwhealmed the staff.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I stayed with a cousin of mine here just for the 1 night it was a treat as part of her 30th Birthday which is coming up.
The reception were extremely helpful on arrival as my cousin and I arrived separately. All staff were very pleasant and helpful, especially Jeff who really went the extra mile to look after us both whilst we were dining in the Comfy Duck restaurant.
The room we stayed in was room 45 and was in the newer part of the hotel. The room was modern, very clean and neat with all that was necessary in a hotel room. The bar where we had a nightcap was very nice & seemed to be frequented by many of the residents.
We were truely looked after and for an overnight stay in the peaceful surroundings it was perfect!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Every time I am in Grimsby I stay here but on the last 2 occasions service in the restaurant has been very poor, ,last week I waited 20 minutes for someone to take my dessert order after waiting 15min for my main course to arrive after the starter, before giving up and paying the bill in the bar. On both occasions having mentioned how poor the service had been I was promosed that it would not happen again, not sure if I will go back again which is a shame as the food and rooms are perfect

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Rmatthewsgm, Manager at Best Western Oaklands Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologise for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and I can assure you that this is not the level of service that we strive for.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 01472 872 248.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We arrived on Friday afternoon for a 2 night stay, as we were booking in the receptionist asked if we were with the Wedding Party when we said no she immediately changed our room as the following night they were having the evening party after the day do both at the hotel and our original room was just above the room where you would hear the party
She moved us to Room 44 in a block just outside the main building and I have to say we were both impressed that she had bothered to ask us and move us without us requesting it. She was very friendly and helpful and was a credit to the hotel in the fact that she gave an excellent first impression to us.
The room itself was lovely, it was clean, comfy and looked like all and felt like all furnishings were of good quality we really enjoyed our stay in the room and if I was going to be picky my only negative comment would be the bed would have being better as a king size instead of a double.
The furnishings in the Comfy duck where we ate Friday night again were very impressive as was the food
Both evenings we stayed in and had a few drinks in the hotel, Saturday was very busy because of the wedding but it didn't impact on the service we were given.
However it has to be said that our breakfast served in the comfy duck on Saturday morning was much nicer than the breakfast we had Sunday morning served in the big room with the wedding party buffet style. No sausage no cutlery on table had to ask for tea and coffee etc a bit of a free for all and not the same choices we received the morning before for a full English
I have to say I would have scored you 5 not 4 had the breakfast being as good as the day before but I felt we were compensating for the wedding party being look after
However it was a lovely comfy stay and I would recommend you try it

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Rmatthewsgm, General Manager at Best Western Oaklands Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on the Oaklands, it’s great to hear that we impressed and were active in making sure you had the best possible stay. We are a very busy hotel at weekends and a favourite hotel in the area for weddings and it’s great to see the service you received in The Comfy duck did not decline due to the wedding, however I would like to apologise for the breakfast experience on the second morning, we have since looked into why this has happened and solved these issues.

I do hope we will see you again in the not too distant future.

General Manger

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We got engaged in December 2011 and booked an appointment to go and look around The Oaklands as a possible wedding reception venue. We instantly fell in love with the place and decided that nowhere else would be worth a look. We were also extremely pleased to then learn that the hotel would be undergoing a huge refurbishment - an added bonus! Everytime we have visited the hotel the staff have gone above and beyond to make us feel welcome and to make sure that everything was in place ready for the big day. In particular the manager, Richard, has been an absolute star. At one point we arranged to go and try the food and choose which options we wanted to have for the buffet. The food was out of this world and huge compliments need to go to the chef for this. On the day of our wedding we were looked after by Ben who we hadn't met before. Nothing was too much for him and he was always there in the background, making sure that the day went to plan and that we had everything that we wanted. Needless to say, everything on the day was even better than we could have imagined. The room looked amazing - the refurbishment has made the place look so warm and welcoming. The food was unbelievable (we offered our guests a choice of either fish and chips or chicken and ham pie and chips followed by ice cream) with many of our guests commenting that the fish and chips was the best they have ever had and that the honeycomb ice cream was delicious. The hotel even accomodated out best man with a projector and screen for part of his speech. The grounds are also absolutely stunning and we were lucky enough to have some beautiful weather so we could make the most of them. We are already trying to think of excuses to go and visit/use the venue again. Thank you very much to all of the staff who were working on the day :-)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for suck kind comments regarding not just your wedding day but the complete build-up from start to finish of your wedding day. It was a pleasure to meet with you on every occasion to discuss your plans and to then deliver them on the day. I would like to thank you for choosing the Oaklands as your special place.

I cannot invite you back soon enough and we all wish you both the best for the future,

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Dining at The Comfy Duck restaurant within the Oaklands is a refreshing experience. It's obvious a great deal of tasteful consideration & effort has gone into all aspects from the kitchen to front of house.

Simple dishes presented well (fish & chips or even a meaty mixed grill) sit alongside more sophisticated flourishes, such as trout cheesecake with rhubarb, which made a wonderful starter worthy of any London kitchen. There is enough familiarity to ensure comfort, but also enough little touches of quality & adventurous departures from the norm to offer an interesting twist.

The wines on offer are similarly ranged, with an obvious bias towards taste, not snobbery. Several excellent blends (the Richelieus in particular) provide remarkably agile accompaniment across the menu without having to stray far from the top of the list.

Finally, the service strikes a welcoming balance between amiability & ability, so that details are attended to without any air of pretence or stuffiness. High standards successfully filter down from the senior staff to most junior.

A thoroughly enjoyable experience that I look forward to repeating.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such kind comments regarding your recent visit. We take great pride in the level of food and service we offer our guests at The Comfy Duck and the Oaklands. Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Richard Matthews

Also consider these accommodations in or near Laceby
Humber Royal Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Grimsby
Millfields Hotel
Millfields Hotel
#7 of 10 in Grimsby

Been to Best Western Oaklands Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!