“Superb dining experience”

Ranked #11 of 40 Restaurants in Horncastle
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Magpies Restaurant with Rooms is over two hundred years old and converted from three cottages. Owned by Caroline and Andrew Gilbert for seven years, this year they have added three deluxe ensuite bedrooms. They are members of 'Tastes of Lincolnshire' and use mainly locally sourced produce. They also provide afternoon tea.'The Magpies' is situated on the edge of the Lincolnshire Wolds in the old market town of Horncastle which is also famous for its antique shops.Lunch: Wed to Fri and SunDinner:Wed to Sun Aternoon tea: Wed to Sun The restaurant is open for Christmas Day and New Year.Closed Monday & Tuesday
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We had a wonderful time at Magpies. It started with a warm welcome on arrival and were shown to room 2 as we were staying the night. The room was beautifully decorated and furnished and was spotlessly clean. The bathroom was spectacular with a huge bath in the middle of the room.
The dinner menu had a fabulous and imaginitive choice. When the food was served it tasted exquisite and was beautifully presented! Throughout the stay the staff were friendly, attentive and couldn't have been more helpful. They were a real credit to Magpies.
We finished off our stay with a fabulous breakfast. Can't wait to return!

There are newer reviews for Magpies

Reviewed November 10, 2013

The most perfect meal and the room was excellent lovely people , please try it out you will not be disappointed

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Fabulous meal and excellent wines made this a lovely evening. The standard of the food is stunning and beautifuly presented. Staff friendly and helpful. I would not hestitate to recommend it.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Magpies Restaurant is truly one of Lincolnshire’s finest restaurants – it’s such a undiscovered gem, hidden away in a row of cottages in Horncastle. I’ve been visiting for years but realised recently I’ve never written a review!

My most recent visit was for a girly lunch a few Sunday’s ago – as usual we were greeted and shown through to the lounge for pre- lunch drinks and savoury appetisers of homemade parsnip crisps, tuna fishcake bites and homemade gazpacho, whilst we pondered over the lunch menu. After deciding what we would like to eat, choosing our wine and water, we were shown to our table that was all ready for us. The bread basket then arrived at our table offering a selection of fresh homemade choices including chorizo, cheese and spring onion and walnut amongst others. One thing I have always loved about Magpies is how everything is homemade – from the breads to the chocolate petit fours served with coffee after your meal!

The restaurant was full – with two larger parties, a few tables of two and us (a table of four,) but nevertheless our starters arrived without delay – I’d chosen the Grimsby Crab Fish Cakes – as usual the presentation was fantastic, and the food tasted simply divine! Our main courses were just as good, with a few of us having the duck served on Chinese greens that was such a good portion I could hardly eat it all, but wasn’t going to let it go to waste! After our mains – and knowing how amazing Caroline’s dessert menu always is – we all opted to squeeze in a pudding, and we were not disappointed. In all my visits to Magpies, I always opt for the chocolate dessert option, and Caroline’s efforts this time were the best I’ve ever had! A combination of a dark chocolate truffle torte with caramelised banana and fudge pieces with homemade peanut ice cream was simply delicious. Honestly faultless. We were then shown through to the lounge for coffee and chocolates (an optional extra, but a lovely way to relax after a three course lunch!).

For four of us, three courses, coffee and petit fours, a bottle of still water and pre-lunch vodka and tonics and our bill was only just over £115 – which I think for this quality of food, and service is more than reasonable. Dinner is a little pricier but again – you get what you pay for and the food is simply fantastic. There is a reason we have been visiting for years and will continue to visit!

Reviewed October 10, 2013

My partner & I dropped in for lunch a few days ago as we were passing. Never been there before. Greeted by a friendly but not pushy chap. The place is immaculate, spotless & tastefully decorated. The food, presentation & service were all just about the best either of us had ever experienced. An absolute gem!