“Not geared up for veggies, it seems ?”

The Admiral Rodney Hotel, Eatery & Coffee House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Horncastle
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Not geared up for veggies, it seems ?”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My husband & I went for a meal this Sunday. His fish was excellent but my veggie option was undercooked to the point of being raw. I ordered a tower of vegetables on a bed of tomato couli. Great if you like raw veg - well I didn't. I sent it back and it returned, still undercooked on another plate. I was offered another option but by the time it would have arrived my husband would have finished his.
I wonder why the chef seems to think that vegetarians want to eat raw food?

Room Tip: Only visited restaurant.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Veganwoman
BulldogHotelGroup, Manager at The Admiral Rodney Hotel, Eatery & Coffee House, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Mrs Limage

I would like to apologise if your meal did not match our usual very high standards. We regularly receive compliments on the quality of our food and service, and as you mentioned, your husband's grilled Cod was 'delicious'.

The vegetarian option you ordered from our Sunday Carvery, was our Vegetable Stack. This is created by our chefs using vegetables that have been cooked 'al dente'. We do find that most of our guests prefer them cooked this way and as the vegetables still have a certain amount of firmness, it enables the chefs to create the stack effect with the vegetables. When you returned your dish to the kitchen due to the vegetables not being cooked enough for your own personal taste, the chefs re-made your dish for you using vegetables cooked for longer. This resulted in the texture of the vegetables being softer, so the same stack effect could not be created. Unfortunately, you were still unhappy with the texture of the vegetables, so our chefs offered to create a completely different vegetarian dish for you and suggested a Mushroom Fricasee. Please be assured that the whole team genuinely had your best interests at heart and really wanted you to enjoy your meal.

We do hope you will return to the BEST WESTERN Admiral Rodney Hotel on another occasion to sample some of our alternative vegetarian dishes.

Kind Regards
Assistant Manager Lee Melton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed January 5, 2013

With family near by, we stay here from time to time. The staff, as always, are extremely friendly and helpful and check in was quick and smooth. Our room was above the courtyard and was large and clean. Being the Saturday before Christmas, there was a party which finished at a good time however,the room below us continued theirs at some volume until nearly 1pm. We phoned the reception and the night porter dealt with it quickly, sending apologies back. There dosen't seem to be a lot of sound proofing and with a gap down the side of the door, light form the corridoor shine brightly through. Ear plugs are a help.
The bar area is well decorated and busy and breakfast offers a good selection. As before, avoid the sausages which is a shame in Lincolnshire.
All in all, the hotel couldn't have offered us more but the staff really mke this place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

Just walked home after enjoying a wonderful Christmas lunch at The Rodney. Excellent food - lovely mushroom and goat cheese starter, traditional Christmas main course with all the trimmings and pies of vegetables followed by perfect Christmas pud and coffee. All accompanied by a good and well priced Merlot. Just like being at home but with no clearing up! Many thanks to all the staff.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2012

check in was easy and the staff were very friendly. Our room was at the front of the hotel and was ok but very dated. The windows would not open and the carpet was threadbare. The toilet was cramped and unless you were a contortionist you had to take the paper out of its holder and put it under the sink which dripped water onto the paper. The toilet fan was very noisy and so was next doors!
So room aside the bar area was great and the staff were friendly, the bar snacks are excellent and very well priced. The food in the restaurant was equally as good and the staff there were very nice be warned that potatoes are viewed as vegetables so don't be surprised if you get a potato with your vegetables to go with your steak in addition to your chips!!.

Horncastle is a lovely town and there are some interesting and quaint pubs.

I would stay at the hotel again but not pay much more than our KGB deal price. Overall a good experience.

Room Tip: Room at the front suffered with traffic noise
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Louth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2012

The hotel and its bar is a good venue for meeting for business, the food is ok if not brilliant and the service is efficient.
The hotel bar area is ideally suited to casual meetings but can get busy. There is also free wifi

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Martock, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2012

If you enjoy good old fashioned service you will love this hotel. My room was large, clean and very comfortable. Food and service are both to a very good standard. It is a bit 'old fashioned' but that adds to its unique feeling. I will return.

Room Tip: Can be a bit noisy at the front but nothing too intrusive (and I am a light sleeper).
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed for one night in May 2012 while on business. I had a room at the front of the building which was very hot. I could not open the windows as they were stuck shut so I mentioned this to reception in case the windows had a particular technique to open. Apparently the windows are fixed shut (they did not know why) so there is no opportunity for fresh air or cooling the room. I could not sleep properly as room was so noisy. During the night a guest in an adjacent room used the bathroom which was so loud that, for a moment, I seriously thought someone was trying to break into my room. I told all this to reception in the morning and was told that it is a known problem (obviously not to me though) and I should have asked for a room in the back area. She also said that it was a vey old part of the building and I should expect some element of creaks and groans. This is a fair point and would be acceptable if it was just a few character noises but when someone vacuuming at 8am along the corridor vibrates items on your table and your neighbour uses a hairdryer which drowned out your TV, I’d say that it was time to sort out your soundproofing. I will not be staying here on my next business trip.

Room Tip: Stay away from any rooms at the front as they are very noisey.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horncastle
Petwood Hotel
Branston Hall Hotel
Branston Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Branston
The White Hart Hotel, Eatery & Coffee House

Been to The Admiral Rodney Hotel, Eatery & Coffee House? Share your experiences!