“Good hotel made better by the staff”

The Admiral Rodney Hotel, Eatery & Coffee House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Horncastle
Reviewed November 13, 2012

If you enjoy good old fashioned service you will love this hotel. My room was large, clean and very comfortable. Food and service are both to a very good standard. It is a bit 'old fashioned' but that adds to its unique feeling. I will return.

Room Tip: Can be a bit noisy at the front but nothing too intrusive (and I am a light sleeper).
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed for one night in May 2012 while on business. I had a room at the front of the building which was very hot. I could not open the windows as they were stuck shut so I mentioned this to reception in case the windows had a particular technique to open. Apparently the windows are fixed shut (they did not know why) so there is no opportunity for fresh air or cooling the room. I could not sleep properly as room was so noisy. During the night a guest in an adjacent room used the bathroom which was so loud that, for a moment, I seriously thought someone was trying to break into my room. I told all this to reception in the morning and was told that it is a known problem (obviously not to me though) and I should have asked for a room in the back area. She also said that it was a vey old part of the building and I should expect some element of creaks and groans. This is a fair point and would be acceptable if it was just a few character noises but when someone vacuuming at 8am along the corridor vibrates items on your table and your neighbour uses a hairdryer which drowned out your TV, I’d say that it was time to sort out your soundproofing. I will not be staying here on my next business trip.

Room Tip: Stay away from any rooms at the front as they are very noisey.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We spent two nights at the Rodney on a KGB deal. The room was large and very clean. The beds weren't the best we've slept in but the rest of the accommodation was fine. Heating was a wall-mounted electric heater which was ok for our stay but I'm not sure how effective it would be in mid-winter. The lounge areas and restaurant were very pleasant and well decorated. Breakfast was tasty with plenty of choice and well cooked. Staff were generally friendly and helpful. We dined in the hotel restaurant on the first night. The menu was extensive with something to please everyone. For our mains, I had the calves liver and my husband had lamb noisettes. We both had chips which were quite disappointing as they looked like reheated ones from lunch. When we mentioned this to our waitress, on being asked how the meal was, she got quite defensive and said that they were twice cooked. We beg to differ. The rest of the meal was very good but we didn't feel inclined to dine in a second night.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Rachael B
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed 7 nights at the Admiral Rodney while on an antiques tour. This is my second stay at this hotel and love the kitchiness of it. It is an old building that could use a good updating, but the staff is so friendly and helpful that you love it anyway. Our room was huge with 2 twin beds and one queen bed in 2 open rooms. The beds were not that comfortable but we adjusted. The bathroom was nice size with a puzzle for a shower and of course the great towel warmer. Carpets were threadbare, but the hotel is in the process of replacing them. Above all the food was good (not great, but good), the rooms were very clean, the beds not all that comfortable and the staff is AWESOME! Horncastle is a friendly little village and fun to explore. Would recommend!

Room Tip: Room 214 is large if you are traveling with kids. Hotel is fairly quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This hotel was chosen on our behalf as the venue for a family gathering. As such I wouldn't normally choose such a place, but on arrival I was pleasantly surprised.

All the public areas were excellent, especially the bar which is officially my new favourite place. It had a contemporary modern clean design and was very warm and friendly. Their was an especially comfortable sofa looking towards the bar as well as outside to the road, which felt very homely. While the two plasma TV's were on constantly (not to my taste) at least the sound was off.

The restaurant was fine and of a similar theme and the breakfast was good, although the service could be a little slow.

NOW THE BAD PART:
The rooms would struggle to be worse. The double bed (while comfortable) was very small and the rooms only source of heating was a wall mounted electric fire. The decor would have been appropriate in the 1980's, and the endless wall mounted laminates telling you all the do's and don'ts was patronising and demoralising. The walls between rooms were so thin you could hear your neighbours snoring and the corridors were unheated and smelt of mould and paint simultaneously.

Perhaps my experience was influenced by the previous weeks stay at what I consider one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in, (see my previous review), but please Best Western, if you put the same effort into the rooms at you did the public areas, you could have an excellent property.

Room Tip: Don't book a room, but do go for a drink in the bar.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mhardcastle
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This is our hotel of choice when we attend Cadwell Park
Clean and welcoming
The nice Bar area is great to relax in
My only complaint was the Chef and his understanding of Medium Rare BUT HEY IT WAS STILL REALLY NICE
Breakfast is serve yourself and a good way to start your day

Be back next year

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My wife and I stayed for 4 nights (Saturday to Tuesday) bed & breakfast at the end of September for a mini break in Lincolnshire. We chose the hotel for no other reason than we wanted to stay in Horncastle and this seemed the best option from what came up on an internet search.

We got a discount because we booked well in advance and phoned the hotel directly.

The photo of the hotel turned out to be the back of the building. The front overlooks one of the main roads through Horncastle which means that the rooms on that side can be a bit noisy with passing traffic. If we went again we would ask for a room on the back of the hotel which would be quieter.

Our room was clean and tidy with all the usual extras plus a very decent Samsung tv. The bed was comfortable but with the usual cheap thin hotel pillows but there was extra bedding in the wardrobe.. The bathroom was small but had a heated towel rail and plenty of towels. The shower over the bath had a removable shower head. The water pressure was just right and the water temperature was easy to adjust. The room was thoroughly cleaned and tidied, including replacing teabags and milk etc., every day.

We had only booked bed & breakfast but were so tired after our journey we decided to eat in the hotel restaurant on Saturday night rather than go out; though there are several restaurants and pubs in Horncastle.. We ended up eating there every night as we were so pleased with the food, the wide selection of drinks and the friendly staff. It's not spectacular, 5 Michelin stars food but there is a decent selection, it was well cooked, well presented and we didn't have to wait an age to get it.

Likewise at breakfast, nothing spectacular but all very nicely done. I have to confess I don't like Lincolnshire sausages but after the first morning I didn't order them. There were plenty of other things to choose from.

What really impressed us throughout our stay was the staff who were friendly and relaxed and who, it seemed to us, would make the extra effort to make sure guests were happy.

Would we go there again? Yes, without a doubt.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horncastle
Petwood Hotel
The Leagate Inn
The Leagate Inn
#1 of 1 in Coningsby
Best Western Plus Kenwick Park Hotel

Been to The Admiral Rodney Hotel, Eatery & Coffee House? Share your experiences!