“High standard with friendly service”
Review of The Beeches Hotel

The Beeches Hotel
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Grimsby
Reviewed July 9, 2009

This is a small family run hotel on the outskirts of Grimsby. The hotel only has ten rooms and I understand is considered also to be the best restaurant in the area. I however found my meals slightly disappointing although I cannot comment on the other restaurants in the Grimsby area.

I would have no hesitation recommending this hotel or staying there again. I found the staff friendly and helpful and highly professional.

A few minus points: no soap in my room, my bathroom bin had not been emptied, the shower temperature was difficult to control (mix arrangement on the tap) there is no lift and newspapers are not delivered to your room if you order one.

On the plus side, I felt quite comfortable here as a lone female traveller, there is free Internet access in all rooms and it is comfortable and quiet.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for The Beeches Hotel

Reviewed June 30, 2009

The Hotel is situated in the old Scarthoe Village, a suberb of Grimsby. Whilst not having stayed at the hotel, we have celebrated both our 40th Wedding Anniversary and our Daughter's engagement with meals in the restaurant. Service, choice of menu and quality were excellent on all counts and we have also eaten there on several other occasions, always coming away with the question - when can we go again?

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2009

Small hotel in Scartho ( not city centre Grimsby ). Refurbished, clean and quiet though near quite a busy road. A bar and lounge next to Reception. Smiling and attentive staff. Decent bedroom and bathroom with fine toiletries.
A hearty breakfast is served in a very pleasant conservatory looking onto leafy front and back gardens.
I liked it, especially after a far less satisfying( and much more expensive ) stay at a "boutique" hotel in Newcastle recently.
One word of warning though : if you are partying, the night porter may take some time to respond to the bell in the early hours of the morning !
All the staff are so welcoming that you can forgive them a minor slip like that, I think.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed May 1, 2009

The hotel was well signed and there was convenient parking. I received a warm welcome. Clean, comfortable and tidy room with spotless ensuite.In the evening the Bistro lived up to its reputation for delicious food and good service. Breakfast in the sunny Conservatory was prompt and sets one up for the day. Friendly and efficient staff.
The downsides? You need to allow for the heavy morning traffic towards Grimsby, made even worse at this time by roadworks. I also thought the wine was rather overpriced.
Overall a wonderfull two days and I would certainly go back.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 6, 2008

Although I only stayed for one night, I was impressed with everything.

The staff are friendly, treat you with respect and are very helpful. The room, although not large, was beautifully decorated and well furnished. The public areas were clean and tidy and the bar comfortable and relaxing.

The high point however was the restaurant, both at breakfast and at dinner, which was beautifully cooked and well presented.

Hard to fault and I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 28, 2008

I was on business for one night, and found the Beeches through the web. Arrived to a friendly receptionist, and soon to the room. The first room I was given had a plumbing problem, but this was soon rectified and I was moved to another room and given a free bottle of wine with my meal because of the inconvenience. The place was very clean, and seemed to have been refurbished not long ago. Restaurant was very good. I would certainly return.
The only thing that I felt needed replacing was the bed linen. The duvets seemed tired and may be a little small. But this would not stop me returning to stay.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed March 16, 2008

We stayed here for one night as we had come down to watch Derren Brown at the auditorium.

We were greeted at the front desk by a friendly receptionist. The reception area was cosy-looking, with lots of framed reviews of the hotel on the walls.

Our first negative experience was having to carry two heavy suitcases up two flights of stairs as there was no lift, although two members of staff did offer to help us.

The small room was very warm and comfortable looking. There was a tiny bathroom with a good strong shower. The double bed was very comfortable with huge squashy pillows and a lovely warm duvet.

However, I think this room was much too small to be a double. It really was very tiny, and with our suitcases on the floor there was literally no room to walk around, we had to climb over the bed to get to the bathroom. This would probably be fine for a single room but it was just too small for the two of us and we don't take up that much room!

One other small complaint was the complimentary bottle of spring water on the table had a broken seal, and was half-empty! Although it was nothing major it made me wonder what else could have been missed. I took it back to reception where the girl replaced it quickly for us with no fuss.

We did not eat in the restaurant or visit the bar but it looked very smart and clean when we walked through it.

Breakfast was good, although maybe a little expensive for what we had. Saying this, we were only charged about half the normal price for it when we came to pay. The lady who took our payment as we left was very friendly and chatty.

To sum it up, the Beeches was fine for us for one night, but if we were to stay again I would want to make sure we had a larger room. The staff were friendly and the place seemed clean.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple