“Room nice, but not disable friendly really”
Review of Humber Royal Hotel

Humber Royal Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Grimsby
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed here at the end of June 2012. My husband booked the one and only disabled room, I was very disappointed with a lot of things
A) room was down the end of a long corridor and all the doors along this pulled outward so if I'd been in my wheelchair I couldn't have opened them.
B) again if I was in my chair I couldn't have got round the bedroom it was so small.
C) bathroom didn't have non slip flooring, toilet was just normal/not raised and no handles to help get up or down from it.
When we raised these queries at the desk the lady said 'oh we do have bath mats here at the desk'
Needless to say we won't be staying there again. But we did have a nice day/evening at our friends wedding receptions.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank 827SharonH
Humberab, General Manager at Humber Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

I was sorry to learn that you felt the hotel was not 'disable friendly' when you visited us earlier this year. As part of our on going investment we have made the hotel fully DDA compliant throughout our ground floor public areas. We did incorporate a disabled friendly room in our last phase of bedroom improvements. This had only recently come on line prior to your visit. I appreciate that it is located at the end of a corridor but this does allow direct access to the room if the guest is wheelchair bound. Since you visited the hotel in June we have introduced some additional 'door guard ' controls to allow easier access to this room. I can assure you that the bedroom has been set up to allow full rotational movement of wheelchairs around the bed area and that this was assessed by building control.

The flooring to the walk-in shower/wet room area is non-slip according to manufacturer’s literature and was a key consideration when the room was developed. Your comments regarding handles and toilet height are valid and we will endeavour to make some improvements as a result of your constructive feedback. Since your stay bath mats have become a standard feature in this room.

Since we launched this room in April we have received feedback from a number of both able-bodied and disabled guests and aim to make enhancements where possible as a result of this, including literature in the bedrooms advising guests how to obtain any additional services or amenities they may require.

Many thanks for your constructive feedback, we will aim to introduce further improvements as a result of your comments.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Nice quiet Hotel, Lovely bedroom and sleep. Very clean. We were there for a weekend attending Wedding reception at City hall. Staff very helpful. In spite of a wedding going on, hotel was quiet. Will stay again.

Room Tip: Book a room facing Golf course
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable weekend when you visited us early this month. It's always reassuring to hear that our guests have a good nights sleep when they stay with us! Many thanks for recognising the helpfulness of the team at the hotel and acknowledging that although we may have events occurring at weekends we do aim to accommodate and service the needs of all guests to the very highest standards. I appreciate you were visiting the area for a special occasion, but hope we may see you again when you next visit the area.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Nice rooms. Internet didn't work for me. No gym/pool. Basic amenities but very good food - other than the carbonara which was disgusting - pasta in cream, no taste and no parmesan. Staff great, very friendly, professional and knowledgeable.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel for over 10 weeks for business, I found on arrival a shock that the outside does look Los and dated as though stuck in the 70's BUt this only proves that never judge a book by the cover !!
The hotel is listed and only minimal work can be done on outside

Inside its is really smart, a lot of money has been spent on this hotel, check their website, the rooms and clean smart looking and kept very clean. Some rooms have balcony overlooking the golf course this makes the rooms light and airy

The reception is very smart and front of house staff are friendly and go out their way to help guests and even long stayers like myself

The restaurant is light and airy with a main menu and a specials menu every day, the staff are really friendly and just like the reception staff always go out their way to help and give the guest what they want.

The house keeping staff again are helpful and do their best to help you, even a bigger mug for your coffee !!

If there was a moan, and trust me its only small, the menu, although has just changed (oct) if your a long stayer like myself can get boring so its good to have the specials menu which does change daily

Overall a great hotel, great staff, and would recommend this to anyone travelling to Grimsby area for pleasure or work.

• Stayed: July 2012
Humberab, General Manager at Humber Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Dear Nigel
Many thanks for posting your kind comments onto TripAdvisor. It was very pleasing to hear that all departments had contributed to making your long stay with us enjoyable and adding that little bit more wherever possible. We do try to offer home from home comforts and service to all our guests, but particularly those who are staying with us for any great length of time. As you pointed out we do have daily specials to add variety and extra choice to our menus and are always willing to respond to individual guests’ requests from beans on toast to beef stroganoff if possible.
I can confirm our new menu was launched last week and as usual comprises of lots of locally sourced fine ingredients, hopefully you will get to try it when you next visit our area. Thanks again for your feedback it really helps to keep us all motivated to keep improving our guests experience with us.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

This was my first stay at the Royal Humber and I have to say I a bit worried when I pulled into the car park. As mentioned by other reviewers, the building won't win any beauty awards but things are very different the moment you step through the door. The interior of the building appears to have undergone a full refurbishment and it modern and well presented

The bedrooms have had the same treatment as the rest of the interior so they are clean and well appointed. Large comfy bed, new bathroom and plenty of tea and coffee, everything you need for a peaceful nights sleep.

Free WiFi in the room was a bit on the slow side but still worked well.

The was plenty of choice of food in the restaurant and what I had was tasty and well cooked. The same has to be said for breakfast, a good choice of cereals, toast and full English if you so desire.

Every member of staff I spoke to was friendly and helpful so a big thumbs up for customer service.

I would stay again when I am in the area and would recommend it. If you haven't stayed before then it is worth a try.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear guest
Good to hear you enjoyed your first stay with us; I hope it will be the first of many. Thanks for highlighting the wide array of facilities we have on offer in both rooms and public areas. As many of our menu items as possible are sourced locally and meals are prepared to order to ensure a fresh and tasty offering. I appreciate that service makes the difference and appreciate greatly your ‘thumbs up’ with regard to customer service…………this goes a long way towards confirming that we’re getting it right! Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We have used this hotel three times in total now for family events eg weddings birthdays and such like. The previous occasions last year the service the staff, bedrooms and meals have always been excellent. This year the hotel has gone up a star thus our room was more expensive. We had a smaller room , no trouser press in the room and we had to ask for extra milk and coffee because there was not sufficient in the room. The staff were all lovely and did go out of there way to find us extra milk in a jug from the bar. The breakfast this time was a buffet style and a big let down, the bacon and sausage were cold even though we were one of the first down for breakfast. The hot buffet was in a different room and was not presented well. I feel the hotel is a very worthy 3 star but needs extra finishes to make it a worthy 4 star

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Humberab, General Manager at Humber Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Thank you very much for posting your review following your latest stay with us. Yes, we have being accredited with a Fourth Star from VisitEngland since your last visit, but I can assure you we have not changed our pricing structure as a result of this. Our rates are flexed daily to reflect availability in both the local area and hotel. Prices have always been more competitive - the earlier rooms are booked, rising as availability reduces.
Although we have three room types, standard, superior and deluxe; all are of a good size and have the same facilities and quality offerings. All superior rooms benefit from balconies, whilst deluxe rooms have a corner aspect with seating area.
The team at the hotel genuinely care about guest service, with additional room amenities being supplied readily for those guests who enjoy an extra cuppa or two. Naturally, I was sorry to read your comments concerning the breakfast offering. On busy weekend mornings when most guests have a lie in and come down to breakfast in one go we find that a buffet breakfast is well received. Regrettably there are no excuses for cold food, please accept my apologies for this failing, your comments have been shared with both my Head Chef and Food and Beverage Manager to ensure improvements occur. Please be assured that we are always striving to develop and improve the service and offerings across all departments. The additional star awarded independently suggests we are a worthy recipient, and was very much appreciated in recognition for all the improvements we have introduced during the last two years. As loyal customers of the hotel I sincerely hope we will welcome you again on future visits to the area.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

This was my first visit to this hotel. When you pull into the car park, it does look a litle disappointing, with a drap exterior, mostly concrete. However, dont let that put you off. The interior is very smart and modern looking. Staff are well above average, and very friendly.
the rooms are very good, each with its own balcony overlooking a beutifull golf course.
Choice of food in the evening was excellent, and very reasonably priced. Some great flavours here, was well done to the chef!
WiFi s available throughout the hotel which was great; although the speed is not very good.
The only disappointment was breakfast. Not a huge choice from the buffet area, but the cooked breakfast was not good. Obviously a different chef here. Items were hard, overcooked and not tasty. (The sausage tasted a bit sour!)

All in all, I would stay there again, but I hope they take note of the breakfast quality............

Room Tip: Top floor has the best views.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Humberab, General Manager at Humber Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Dear Guest
‘Quirky’....... is a great way to describe us – thank you! Yes our 1960’s heritage does mean we are a perfect example of a post-war age building, when due to a shortage of skilled labour there was a surge of prefabricated and system building techniques used for new buildings. As you kindly point out the interior of the hotel has been tastefully modernised and is supported by a friendly, professional team of employees who genuinely care about our guests.
I’m pleased that you enjoyed your evening meal with us, but sorry to learn that breakfast was a disappointment. This is an area we have focused our attention on for some time which unfortunately makes your feedback more concerning. All chefs are involved in the different meals served throughout the day and are fully trained and familiar with the standards required for all meals on our menus. Please accept my apologies for the failings you experienced, chef and his team will review their offering accordingly and address any outstanding issues. Please be assured your experience is not indicative of the breakfast normally prepared, which you will be able to experience when you hopefully next visit the hotel.
Thanks again for your valuable feedback, your constructive comments really do help us monitor our standards and make improvements where necessary.