“Excellent Value for Money”

The St. James Hotel Grimsby
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Grimsby
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Just returned from an excellent Glenton Tour which was based at the St James Hotelm Griismby. The hotel is ideally located in the town and provides very good value for money. The customer service is first class and hotel offers good, clean accommodation. The ongoing refurbishment will no doubt add further features.

• Stayed: August 2010
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am really pleased you enjoyed our facilities and that the staff made your visit worthwhile. As you will see by previous comments we are upgrading rooms within the hotel which will take time but I am sure when they are finished you will be pleased with the result.
Thank you again for your review, it is very warming to hear the positive remarks from our guests and I look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for The St. James Hotel Grimsby

Reviewed August 7, 2010

On arrival we weren't given any info on meal times etc just handed our key, bar was open for approx 10 mins then shut by the time we had dropped our bags off! Tea was disgraceful, 22 of us crammed onto one table ensuring that nobody could eat the pitiful excuse for food!! Starter of tomato soup tasted like cheap tinned spaghetti sauce and the roast has left me with stomach cramps! Slightly worried to see uv lights in reception toilet as this normally means a lot of drug addicts use them but, judging by the amount of scum hanging around outside I'm not surprised! Room was filthy with blood on the bedding and a strange smell of dirty chip fat! Overall a disgusting dive that I wouldn't book for my worst enemy!!!

1  Thank bicyboo
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear Guest
I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at the St James Hotel. I treat feedback with utmost seriousness. I will personally discuss your comments with the team and we can improve where we let you down.

Reviewed July 28, 2010

I now wish I had read the reviews, from the time of arrival, first impressions were bad, reception staff acted like they were doing you a favour just to talk to you and other staff were no better, the room was a disgrace, filthy from top to bottom, bed looked and felt like it was 50yr + old and the rest of the fixtures and fittings the same, skirting boards in room were rotting and needed painting, all in all the hotel needs completely refurnishing and the staff need a thorough retraining and some a personality transplant, would stay anywhere but here, wouldnt mind if the price reflected the state of the place, but cost was not cheap, did not eat there as after seeing the hotel would not risk the food.....very grim in grimsby

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank uktrave11er

Reviewed July 22, 2010

In view of the previous reviews, we were very pleasently surpised.
On arrival the manager helped with our bags and the staff were very friendly.
We had a room , as requested, with comfortable twin beds.
We stayed four nights, the breakfast and dinner had a good choice. There was always something that everybody enjoyed. The room was quiet and clean and staff were always helpful.
Yes, the television in the room is past it's best but we don't go on holiday to watch it.
Considering the price it's one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 21, 2010

I arrived today, the 21'th of March about 17:00. It's now 21:05 and I realise now, that I can't stay here.

It smells, I have to sleep with my clothes on, because I don't wamt my bode touching these awful sheets, the bathroom is old, everything is old. The tv is from when I was born in the 80's, i'm afraid that the bed will fall apart tonight, I have the window opened to get rid of that awful smell and I just wan't to pack my things and get out of here.

I haven't tried their breakfast, so I can't comment on that. The ONLY positive thing about this hotel is, that the shopping centre is right across the road, the internet works and i found the service at the reception okay

I travel alot with my job, and this is definetly the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Mackeith

Reviewed March 17, 2010

This hotel is a complete joke. You could perhaps over look the poor facilities, and that the building should be condemed, but its how much they charge to stay there. I wouldnt pay more than £9.50 a night.
The staff were adequete, although i just felt sorry for them having it work there. For me and my colleagues who stayed 4 nights, (we stayed out of the hotel as much as we could) it was the worst hotel we have stayed in, and we use 20/30 hotels a year around the UK. We agreed that we would rather travel 30miles each day and stay somewhere that you can take seriously.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank 2010Royal

Reviewed February 28, 2010

I found the hotel very nice and clean it looked very old fashioned even the lift had carpets!! but it didnt smell too bad so i suppose its an old fashioned themed hotel? The breakfast selection was really good too, i thought it would be noisy from all the reviews i read but i was noise free and surprisingly as i stayed there during the christmas period (1st floor), only fault with the with the hotel was the the tv could be updated 14 inch black horrible tv with the buttons missing definitely not HD ready! The room was nice and warm though took my hot water bottle just in case the heater packed up but it was fine throughout!
would definitely book again

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank purplepunky

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review reagrding your stay at my hotel.
It is always pleasing that guest see past the hotel been dated.
I am aslo pleased that all the facilites in the hotel were more then adiquete to your requirements.
I thank you again for then nice review and i look forward to welcoming you back.
Kind regards