All reviews ample free parking central hotel restaurant staff centre of town stayed here for one night car parking biscuits evening meal minster appearance
Selected filters
Reviewed January 17, 2019 via mobile

Stayed for one night at The Saint James hotel. The staff were friendly and the breakfast choice was very good (£8.95) with hot and continental style food on offer.
I arrived late and so did not eat in the restaurant.
Car parking is on site and is free.
Wi fi is free and pretty good.
The rooms are slightly dated but they were clean and warm. Plenty of hot water and towels.
Close to the town centre which is only a few minutes walk away.
So maybe not a romantic retreat but a good value for money offering if you are working away in Grimsby - room rates from £46 excluding breakfast.

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Traveled on business
StJamesGrimsby, Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2019

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your wonderful review regarding your recent stay with us here at the St James.
Your positive comments are much appreciated and we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed January 5, 2019

My friend had booked a 2 night stay for us here during a weekend in December so that he could visit a seriously ill relative in the city and I must say I have seen better dog kennels! The only part that looked nice and welcoming is the reception area! Sadly everywhere else, the decor is outdated - very 1970's style and the wallpaper was peeling off the walls along with ageing paint flaking/dropping off the old fashioned windows, doors and the woodwork. The carpets are in poor condition throughout and the en suite needs modernising. The vanity desk was in very poor condition with plenty of aged heat marks on it and the wardrobe was in a shoddy condition.

As for the staff, I was under the impression that all the staff working here are supposed to be friendly. But on arrival, the lady on reception did not seem very friendly or welcoming at all, did not greet us with a smile and was more interested in my friend filling out the form and asking about payment. Then that was it.

On the Friday night, we returned to the hotel after a few drinks and my friend approached the two men behind the reception desk and, due to him practising Maltese due to him moving there, decided to speak a little of it but one of the miserable workers asked if he was being racist. As my friend is on medication and was concerned/upset about his ill relative, he found this remark to be upsetting and this frustrated him even more than what he already was at this stage. We went upstairs to go to our room but my friend was disoriented and frustrated and banged on the wrong door thinking it was our room and just wanted to lie down in bed and this was seen on camera as we later found out. I got to the hotel room and my friend said he just needed a bit of his vape outside. A few moments later, I went to see if he was okay but the rude night porter said he wasn't allowed back in as he was banging on a door upstairs. I tried to explain to him his condition and all he wanted to do was lie down and rest due to him being upset but he did not want to know or care. I do realise that his job is to keep the hotel/residents safe but he should have been trained to deal with incidents like this regarding people with medical/health issues and to be sympathetic instead of arguing with me, giving me abuse and speaking to me like something he had stepped in. Obviously cares more about drawing a fat wage each month. As for the other guy behind the desk - I've seen friendlier looking piranhas. Would not put either of them on a tombola stall at a school fete, let alone at the entrance to a hotel.

As this drama had escalated, my friend had got attacked outside the back of the hotel and phoned me up extremely upset as i was speaking to the workers inside there, and as I noticed him locked out of the front entrance, I spotted his mouth bleeding and a cut to the back of his head. I spoke to the members of staff to try and get them to help - but to no avail and were laughing at anything I had said! All my friend needed was sleep and to rest and things would have been fine. Sadly, these members of unhelpful staff did not even call an ambulance or the police or even help. Very unprofessional of them both. Maybe they did not want emergency services turning up at the hotel as it doesn't look good perhaps. I contacted both these services myself and informed the police what had happened.

Unfortunately, I cannot comment on how we slept here at the hotel as we did not stop there after this incident and also spoke to a manager after about what had happened. I hope my friend can get a refund and get all his money back what he paid due to what had happened and the way we were both treated by these rude members of staff.

Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
StJamesGrimsby, Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2019

Dear Reviewer,

I'm sorry you had such an awful time at the hotel and found we were not up to standard. I have looked into all the issues you have raised regarding your stay and spoken to the relevant parties in depth. Sorry this has happened and thank you for your comments.

Operations Manager

Reviewed December 31, 2018

Stayed here for two nights for a family event in Grimsby. Very impressed with the very friendly, professional, and efficient staff. Great central location. Food was excellent. Very comfortable hotel. Would stay again.

Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for your review. I am delighted everything was to your satisfaction during your stay, and hope to welcome you back soon.

Warm Regards

Reviewed December 20, 2018

I organised a large group of 34 people to attend the Christmas lunch & choir today , really enjoyed the 3 courses the food was beautiful, the staff as always very efficient and friendly nothing too much trouble for them they really do look after you .. the only down side was we couldn't hear the choir singing at the back off the room but everyone enjoyed the afternoon .. thankyou to all the staff front and back for making it a wonderful experience

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review. I have taken your comment about not being able to hear the choir on board and will be looking into improving on this for this year. Once again, thank you for your review.

Reviewed December 19, 2018

been coming here for the last 2 year on and off can't fault the hotel staff and cleaners the hotel is very clean and the rooms are cleaned every day the staff are always welcoming and will make sure your stay is very good but they must have a new chief i have eating a couple of times here since i have been back and the food is very bad i ordered gammon egg and chips with 2 slice of bread did not want any thing else got gammon pineapple 1 black mushroom a tomato that was that burnt it crunched when you eat it about 8 chips and 1 slice of bread all for £14.20 as i had been to work and was hungry i could not be bothered to complain .i also heard a few people paid a lot of money for a night with a michael jackson tribute and paid for a 3 course meal and left most of it as it was cold and had no taste a lot of people are complaining about the chief its a pity as it used to be very good food but i wont be eating here again

Room tip: stay in the back rooms as the church rings the bells a few times a week and if you are in the front it is very loud
Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank graham1964_13

Dear Reviewer,

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your food during your stay. Your comments have been taken on board and hope this does not dissuade you from dining with us in the future. We will be launching a new menu in the next week or so and I hope you will find this more satisfactory. Do not hesitate to ask for me should you have any problems during any future stays with us.