“the worst hotel i ever stayed in”

The St. James Hotel Grimsby
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Grimsby
gippo10
“the worst hotel i ever stayed in”
Reviewed March 11, 2009

i stay in a lot of hotels through out the year and ths is terrible.
to put it in short.
the rooms are crap, the beds are hard, the shower did not work.
the food was discusting and way over priced.
to get the lift to work you had to put your finger into a hole as the button had been pushed through.
i was booked in for the week and i chechedout the next morning and found another hotel.

DONT BOTHER

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank gippo10
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, January 23, 2013

Paul Grantley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Stalybridge, Cheshire
Reviewed December 8, 2008

Travelling to the Christmas market at Lincoln, we stayed at the
St. James Hotel for two nights in December. We had read the
reviews on trip advisor previously and were a little concerned
obviously. However we were quite surprised that on arrival we
were welcomed by a friendly staff and our luggage was
transferred to our room very quickly. Whilst the hotel is a little
dated, it is undergoing a re-furbishment which will take about
8 months, but we found the hotel to be very clean and our
room which had just been fitted with a new entrance door and
frame, with high security lock was nicely furnished with
comfortable beds and a modern bathroom. The television
whilst being small gave all the five main channels and the
coloured picture was good, which was quite sufficient for our
needs. In the restaurant the quality and quantity of the food
was good and it was sreved hot. The small bar area was
comfortable and the prices were comparable with many other
hotels in which we have stayed. Bearing in mind that the Hotel
is situated in the town centre, a certain amount of night time
noise is understandable, however our first floor room
overlooked the car park and we were not disturbed at all. I can
understand that the rooms which face the church are fronted by
a pathway which leads from the main area of the town, where
all the pubs are situated and you could be disturbed by young
people walking home when the pubs close. Also the church
bell rings early every morning from about 6 oclock onwards.
However the hotel is centrally situated in the centre of a clean
town with a brilliant shopping center and I dont think people
should be put off from going there by previous reviews. We
found it ideal considering the price we had paid.

Satisfied traveller.

• Liked — The central location
  • Disliked — Lack of heating on the stairs and passageways.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank artmak
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the st James Grimsby. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

london
Reviewed October 27, 2008

the first thing that coaught my eye was a drunk that naerly mugged me as i was about to enter the hotel. when i entered i told the security guard about this and said 'they r all like that mate' and as a left to go to my room i heard him say to the receptionist 'hes was a [-] [-]'. the room was terrible, ive probably seen a hostel look better than that. the food, if you call it food, was terrible. never go again

• Liked — The exit
  • Disliked — All of it
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank danielhufton
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comment on tripadvisor.
I was dissappointed to read the comments. I can ensure you this is not the usual case here at the St James. We do pride outself on customer service.
I hope i can welcome you back and let you see the true standards we deliever.
Kind regards
Paul Grantley

Travelers are raving about these Grimsby hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2008

I stayed here for one night last month whilst visiting relatives in Cleethorpes. I had stayed here on a previous family trip several years ago and it hadn't improved at all.

The rooms and indeed the whole hotel need major refurbishment. The breakfast was awful (I even found a hair in it) and I refused to use the hotel's only lift as it sounded like it was about to break at any minute.

The only upside is its location - in the centre of town near the big shopping centre. However if you don't need to be right in the centre of Grimsby i'd advise a stay at the Premier Inn (on the outskirts) instead!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at the St James Hotel. I treat feedback with utmost seriousness. I will personally discuss your comments with the team and we can improve where we let you down.
Thank you again for your comments.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2008

To avoid a very long review, I will just limit this review to bullet points. You should consider that I tavel a reasonable amount and stay in hotels 3 or 4 nights a month. This hotel was in the price range I normally use.:

- Car park is unsecure. I even wrote a sign to state that there were no valuables in my car to deter theifs. I have never done this before.

- Reception was slow

- The public areas are dark, dated and not very clean

- The lock on my door did not work well, a sharp knock from the outside would open it.

- There were drunks hanging around outside, shouting as passers by

- Kids kick footballs at the window

- The bed was smelly and lumpy

- There is a church next door and the bells ring every 15 minutes starting at 7am

- The chair sagged (broken springs)

- The TV picture was awful

- No toileteries (just a small bar of soap)

- All the furnishings and decor are from the 70s or early 80s (seriously)

- The food was barely edible

- Continental breakfast would be £7.50. I went to look and it consisted of 3 types of tinned fruit in bowls. I walked back out.

- They double charged me (they did correct this, but it held me up for 10 minutes at checkout)

I would never stay here again. I would drive hours to avoid this place.

• Liked — That my car did not get broken into.
  • Disliked — Literally everything, it is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank HotChilli99

england
Reviewed July 6, 2008

the wedding reception was great. the staff on duty at the time did all they could to help, even down to making our son a sandwich long before the wedding buffet began. although do take out a bank loan if you intend to buy drinks in the hotel as 4 j2os, a gin & tonic and 1 pint of bitter come to £19.85 ???? (are we in london!)the alarms from neighbouring shops appear to ring out in the early hours, on a frequent basis.

the next morning was a disaster. we went for breakfast, ordered 4 full breakfast and extra toast for one of the children, we actually got 2 full breakfast and 2 slices of toast to go with the full english. when we asked where the others were we were told that because my husband was stood looking out of the window they couldnt accept his breakfast order, so we both ended up going without anything due to the staff not
being helpful and saying the chef had hurt her FINGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!! so if you stay at this hotel please remember to take ear muffs, and a packup, and dont be affraid to demand yourbreakfast (as it was supposed to be a hot buffet) or you will get passed over with bad excuses for staff incompetence.

Stayed July 2008
1 Thank jimthebus
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you again for your comments.

nottm
Reviewed November 14, 2007

I stayed here recently. Having read the reviews already posted I feared the worst, but I didn't find it was that bad. I chose it as it was very central, handy for the railway station (I was travelling by train). I got a good deal by ringing the hotel a week or so before (deals also available on their website). Reception staff friendly when I booked in.

The room was OK - mine was clean and bathroom was fine. Decor was adequate. Would have been nice to be open the window a bit more. I didn't get disturbed by noise and welcomed the church being across the square (as I attended a service there!).

The breakfast was included in my room rate . The cold items were very good - help yourself & plenty of choice of fresh/dried fruit, cereals etc. The cooked breakfast (buffet) was not so good - not replenished frequently enough and the eggs were overcooked.

Overall - not the best hotel I have ever stayed in, but I have seen much, much, worse! I felt it was OK for the price I paid.

• Liked — Very central location
  • Disliked — Cooked breakfast not so good
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
Dear Guest
Thanks for leaving your thoughts here. The team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we have taken note of your comments. Rest assured we will address them. Kind Regards Paul Grantley General Manager