“Common sense”

The St. James Hotel Grimsby
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Grimsby
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on the 3rd of August 2013.
We booked a family room because we had taken our granddaughter away for a couple of days and it looked stunning from the web site the price was reasonable for bed and breakfast but on entering the hotel we found the Decore in need of a facelift we were given our room key on the third floor and went up to the family room.
On entering the room we found it rather tight with a double and singl bed the bathroom was very cramped and using the toilet with the door closed was a near impossibility. We showered and got our 3 year old granddaughter ready for. Bed then the noise started, it was boom boom boom boom which to say was loud was an understatement on ringing down to reception thy apologised and said it would be turned down.
An hour later the music was still loud which then prompted me to go down to see the duty receptionist he once again apologised and said he would ask the duty manager for a room transfer but all they could offer was a double room with a single bed squeezed in this was not acceptable so he told me that the music would be turned off at 11pm but once again it was not too be as I said to the duty manager who in their right mind would make a family room for children over the top of a disco and bar it was absolutely ludicrous with this I went back to the room and tried to settle our granddaughter down.
My wife rang reception at 11.20pm to say the music was still playing and loud as ever once again we got apologies and were now told the music wasn't coming from the hotel so many excuses and nothing done.
The room was stifling hot we tried to open the window only to find it would open approx an inch which didn't help there was no air conditioning so the have a nice night from the receptionist was a joke.
On the good side the next morning we went for breakfast and this was of a fantastic quality.If only someone had used COMMON SENSE and put the family room away from above the bar area our stay may have been enjoyable.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Ian H
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Please accept my sincerest apologies that your experience was anything less than our usually high standards of service. As a team we do read and review all our guest reviews on Trip advisor, and it fully enables us to carefully address any issues that may on occasion arise.

If you do wish to contact me personally, please feel free to do so.

I wish you well and do hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed August 4, 2013

we stayed here for 1 night, the hotel is in a central location for shopping and pubs and has free parking, which is great.
The receptionist was very polite and happy, when checking in. we stayed on the 3rd floor, overlooking the car park and main road, we did not hear any noise from the road at all. The rooms are very basic and a throw back from the 80 s, but are clean and comfortable.If we come to Grimbsy again, we will stay here.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest
I thanks for your feedback, it’s always nice to receive reviews from our guests.

Indeed we are upgrading our bedrooms and public area and many other facets of the property, all comment are taken seriously and will be action accordingly with the relevant management. We have done much work on the hotel over the year, but do understand we need to keep progressing with the refurbishment.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future so that you can see the changes.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I was staying in this hotel because I had some business in the local area.

The building itself is located near the centre of Grimsby with easy access to the main shopping arcades and shopping centre.

The Receptionist at the check-in desk was very friendly and respectful and seemed very happy to answer all of my questions concerning the restaurant and the use of the internet etc etc.

The room, was pretty dreadful. There were no paintings on the wall and the furnishings looked as though they hadn't been renewed since the 1980's. A dressing table was attached to the the wall and some badly installed wiring for additional power sockets ran across the top of the table. The television did not work because there was no power supplying any of the sockets in the room. I had to charge my mobile phone in the shaver socket in the bathroom. There was no air conditioning and no fan available on what was quite a warm and humid day. There was no mini-bar and no drinking water, but tea and coffee making facilities were provided.

I ordered a meal from the room service menu (sausage casserole, country fries, soft drink) which tasted excellent, but the presentation of the dish was awful. It was clear that no care or time was taken in arranging the food on the plate in an attractive manner.

Due to an early morning departure, I was not able to have the breakfast.

I would definitely not stay in this property again and I would not recommend it.

Some investment is necessary to bring this hotel up to a decent standard and its only saving grace is the friendliness of the staff (in particular the receptionist on duty on the 9th and the night auditor on the 19th).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay.
I understand your concerns regarding the décor and the electrics. If you had reported the electrical fault to our reception team, they would have been able to rectify this for you.
Due to the exceptionally hot weather, all of our fans were already in use by other guests. I can only apologise for your discomfort and can assure you that we have more fans on order to try to combat this problem.
Whilst all care is taken with our food preparation, we are sorry it did not meet with your expectations on this occasion.
Continental breakfasts are available at any time upon request from the Night Porter.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed in this hotel last week. It very much falls into the "what you see is what you get" category.
It boasts an excellent location with free parking.

the rooms are a little tired but perfectly adequate. I don't book a hotel to stay all day in the room so long as it is clean and has the expected facilities I am happy. The St. James reaches this standard.

I only stayed B&B so can only comment on breakfast. It is buffet style and has all that I could want. It even had tomato juice ~ rare these days.

I can not speak highly enough of the staff. All are pleasant and friendly and go that bit extra to help when needed.

My hotel of choice when visiting Grimsby.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for a room to the rear as the rooms that over look the minster can he...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Peter R

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. It is always appreciated to receive positive comments and to know that some guests are able to see past the décor. We look forward to welcoming you at our hotel in the future.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed 1 night without reading reviews. Requested quiet room, but room was next to busy road which kept me awake, so only gets a 3 star for this oversight. Ugly (70's?) interior - a bit like walking into a private hospital. Room was a bit tired and small, but was very clean and staff were helpful and friendly. The bath was a nice feature after travelling for many hours. Breakfast was average, and about what I expected. Should have offered fresh fruit instead of tinned, and possibly eggs or omelets to order? A little bit extra effort on the food and this place would surpass expectations and be great value

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, check you have been given quiet room away from the noisy road
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ck999

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. With regards to your room, if you had spoken to reception they would have tried to relocate you to another room. We appreciate the hotel is in need of an upgrade, but we do pride ourselves on our standards of cleanliness and service, we value your positive comments on this.
We do have limited fresh fruit displayed on the breakfast buffet, and staff are always available to help with any special requests.

Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the hotel at there at recent scooter rally, very friendly staff, functional room, great value for money. It's a bit like the crossroads motel but that's not bad in a retro kind of way! Will stay there next year

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Theacefacesheffield

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. My staff and I always value positive feedback as it shows that the hard work we do is appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

just stayed for 2 nights at this hotel... nice clean rooms, nice, well run dining room, lovely breakfast... pleasant friendly helpful staff.... good location for cleethorpes... would definately stay again and recomend...

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gill B

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. We really appreciate your positive comments. On the annual scooter rally, we find that the hotel is mostly full with scooter enthusiasts, most are returning customers who come year after year. We look forward to welcoming you all again.