“stayed for scooter weekend”

The St. James Hotel Grimsby
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Grimsby
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“stayed for scooter weekend”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

just stayed for 2 nights at this hotel... nice clean rooms, nice, well run dining room, lovely breakfast... pleasant friendly helpful staff.... good location for cleethorpes... would definately stay again and recomend...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gill B
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. We really appreciate your positive comments. On the annual scooter rally, we find that the hotel is mostly full with scooter enthusiasts, most are returning customers who come year after year. We look forward to welcoming you all again.
Paul Grantley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
wigan
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night midweek, a bit wary after reading some reviews. Paid £52 for room and breakfast and it was great value for money. The room was perfectly adequate, hotel in the town centre with great parking. Staff helpful, receptionist in the morning very nice and friendly. Decor was dated but if you want state of the art pay 3 times as much! I would certainly stay there again when in Grimsby,

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay.
It is nice when people can see past the décor and can appreciate the hard work that the staff do to ensure your stay is as pleasant as possible.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Ive never written a review on Trip Advisor before, but I feelcompelled to given the terrible nature of my stay. Like other reviewers I stay in hotels Monday - Thursday through work. I thought it strange that the nearby Premier Inn was full which resulted in me being booked into this place.
The whole building is dated and tired, but the girl on reception was friendly enough. When I got to my room on the 2nd floor, which doesn't appear to have been touched sine the 1980s The first thing that struck me was the noise from people outside. No matter I thought, I'll close the window. Unfortunately the window which consisted of a wafer thin pane of glass was already closed. When I say the noise from outside I mean I can hear ever vulgar word of every drunken conversation. The glass is so useless I even heard one bloke burping on his way back from the pub.
And this is the problem. The hotel overlooks a pedestrian thoroughfare to/ from the town centre and the locals seem to enjoy nothing more than getting blind drunk and shouting expletives as loud as they can into to wee small hours.
If you like a good nights sleep avoid this place at all costs. You'd be better off on a bench outside.
There is some redemption in the free wi-fi and having failed to find anything to meet my dietary needs at breakfast I was made a very nice poached haddock and poached eggs. However, the waiter who dropped the cutlery and then kicked it before picking it up and returning it to the tray kind of put me off the restaurant.
If you are unfortunate enough to find yourself in this place my tip for the mornings would be to turn the shower on before you go to the toilet, brush your teeth and lay your clothes out for the day on the bed. Assuming you can spin this out for 12 minutes the water coming out of the shower should by now be at least warm enough to get under. Be prepared to run around though to get wet. A power shower this certainly is not. An interesting feature of the bathroom is the overflow pipe that runs into the dirty bath. A more interesting feature would be instant hot water.
The moral of this review is if you're coming to Grimsby book in advance at The Premier Inn.
I have already instructed our travel management company to remove St James Hotel from its list so as to spare anyone else the tortuous lack of sleep I have endured.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest
I am writing in response to your comments regarding your stay at the St James hotel in July. We are the largest Hotel in the area boasting 125 rooms. Other hotels in the area are only able to offer 50-60 rooms, therefore fill quicker than my hotel.
I do appreciate that the hotel is very dated and is in need of an upgrade, but we do our very best to ensure standards are the highest possible regarding cleanliness and service.
Our breakfast menu is quite extensive and we try to cater for every need, with many items being available to order. I’m happy we were able to cater to your individual needs. I understand your concern regarding the dropped cutlery, but I can assure you that it was washed before reuse. The restaurant staff use trays when clearing tables and all crockery/cutlery is taken to the wash area.
The hotel is, as you mentioned, on a pedestrian thoroughfare. Unfortunately this is something which is beyond our control. If you had mentioned this to reception, they may have been able to move you to a quieter part of the hotel, subject to availability of rooms.
Although the water is checked on a weekly basis, due to the age of the building, we do experience problems from time to time, which are put right as soon as they are reported to us.
Paul Grantley

Travelers are raving about these Grimsby hotels

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My expectations were, I believe, realistic due to the cost of the 2 night stay £110. for 2 nights for 2 with breakfast. I was initially shocked when I had to hand over my bank card and sign for the cost with £40. extra added on. I could not get much sense out of the desk clerk as to this reason i have never encountered this before. I put it down to the fact they may have had bad experiences with guests before but i felt really insulted. We went up to our room the corridors were in a poor state and smelt of damp. After this i was pleasantly surprised with our room, clean and functional with a lovely view of the church. However within a few seconds of looking at the view i realised there were loads of undesirables hanging around and a fight broke out with the most foul language. This was my first introduction to Grimsby as a result we decided to eat in the hotel restaurant.
The restaurant was full of work men eating in their dirty overalls despite smart dress being requested. The food was probably worse than the worst wetherspoons meal you have ever eaten! Breakfast was just as bad and i could only eat the toast. The cooked breakfast was a buffet style and looked like it was on its third day of offering.
We left to go for a days racing, on our return about 6 hours later the bed had been made but no cleaning had occurred. There was a private function on on our second night this culminated with witnessing a staff member brawling with a guest in the lobby and again a fight breaking out outside our room.
All I can say is never ever again will I stay in a corus hotel.

Room Tip: DO not stay there.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank samantha e
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your recent stay at our establishment.
Corus Hotels are currently involved in a restructuring programme for the whole group. There is a plan in place to improve our hotel, which will be taking place over the next few years. Since my appointment as General Manager at the St James, we have refurbished the 3rd floors 39 rooms in 2008 and the 2nd floor bedrooms and bathrooms in 2011. Having said this, I fully appreciate that because of the staggered upgrading, guests do get different impressions dependent upon which part of the hotel they stayed in and for this I do apologise.
We are shocked with your comments made regarding our catering personnel. It is standard Company practice to deliver good quality food and service, which all of our staff strive to do. We are renowned in the town for our breakfast’s which we are very proud of. Obviously we didn't come up to standard on this occasion and on behalf of our food and beverage team we offer our sincere apologies.

In regards to your credit card been authorized for a extra £40.00 this is used as a deposit so that you can charge products to your room. I can assure you that every hotel company does this and we have been doing it for many years, but I do apologise if there was any confusion.

I was made aware of the issues regarding the trouble with the party guests, and have spoken to all staff concerned. I am satisfied that it was handled to the best of their ability. This is not a normal occurrence. This is the only time we have experienced any trouble like this in over 20 parties we have held.
Our hotel is situated in the centre of town, on a main pedestrian access route. I am unable to control what happens outside but I apologise for the noise you suffered.

I thank you for your comments and I hope we can welcome you back in the future as I can assure you that this is not a true reflection on our hotel.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

I stay in a lot of hotels during the week as I am working away a lit. This has to be one of the worst experiences I have had. From the moment I walked into reception the dissapointment started, the decor doesnt look likeits been changed since the hotel was built and the stale smell filled the air. Waited 20 mins to check in as there was only one person on reception who prioritised answering the phone over checking guests in. The rooms are as dated as the rest of the hotel and the shower had about as much water flow as a river in the sahara. The only positive I can say is the bedding was clean and fortunately I was only there for the one night. If I had paid 40 pound I would have no reason to complain however I booked through laterooms and they were advertising at 75 pound reduced from 90 plus breakfast was extra. It is no wonder on the Corus website they only have a picture of the very top of the hotel. It was an experience I hope never to repeat!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Craig021171
Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent communication concerning your experiences with us at the St James Hotel, from which I read your comments with interest and concern.
I was extremely sorry to learn that our response to your needs caused you disappointment and I, in conjunction with my management team, conducted a most thorough investigation into the points you have raised and I can assure you that it will not be repeated in the future.

I assure you this is not indicative of the way in which we treat our valued guest at the St James Hotel and I do thank you for your patience and understanding.

Corus Hotels are currently involved in a group wide restructuring programme to improve all of our properties over the next few years and the St James Hotel is to benefit from refurbishment as part of this.

The hotel has had some refurbishments to the 2nd and 3rd floors, but I do understand that much work is needed.

Having said this, I fully appreciate the problem you encountered managed to detract from your enjoyment of your stay and I must therefore offer you my most sincere apologies on behalf of the St James Hotel for the annoyance and frustration you have been caused.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Hi I stayed here for 2 nights while away with work. my first approach to the hotel was met by a grumpy car park attendant who told me to '' Just sling it anywhere but hurry up about it I am busy''!! Anyway I was pleased to see the reception staff were polite and had more customer service. the room was basic and what you would expect at a premier in or basic hotel with cheap rates,
In the morning I heard a load of banging, shouting and swearing, on looking out the window I notice it was the same man whom I'd had the altercation with the previous day!!! I just thought he was having a bad day. but still there is no excuse really ( it was barely 7am )
not bad for a basic room but prices are too steep for what you get. I now stay down the road when Im in the area where I get room, breakfast and polite car park men for half the price

Room Tip: do not over look the car park if you don't want to hear shouting and banging at 7am
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest
I was most disappointed and concerned to read your experiences during your stay with us and there can never be any excuses as for why any of our standards should fall so short of our own company requirements and our customer’s expectations. We have spoken at length with the member of hotel personnel concerned and we have fully discussed the points you raised and can assure you that the issues were dealt with.

We would like to thank you again for bringing your experience to our attention and we can promise you that this is not a true reflection of the high standards upon which we pride ourselves at the COrus Hotels.

Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

I read these reviews before I got to the hotel and wasn't expecting much, but my god, it was worse than I thought!!

The company I work for booked this hotel for me at approx 15:30 on the day I wanted to stop by telephone, I arrived at 18:00, upon arrival I was greeted by the receptionist Steve who was having a fag at the front door, when we got to the desk he said there was no record of me, after 10 mins of him looking around and asking my name over and over he finally found my profile on the computer but no details whatsoever. He stated that I needed to pay for the room, however I stop at different hotels 4 nights every week and my company always ring up, books the room and pays over the phone there and then. He stated that card details are taken to secure the room, however he didn't even have them!!
It took an hour for me to check in with various phone calls to my managers, emails had to be sent to the hotel to authorise use of the company card, the check in was just pathetic, this isn't what I want to be doing after 14 hours at work!! It's obvious the staff that took the booking are obviously Incompetent and did not explain the procedure to my company when they rang to book.

So.... The cost of the room was £75 room only and single bed :o shocking to say it was like I'd walked back in time, to say "our rates are competative within the area" is wrong in my opinion, the premier inn down the road is a lot less than yourselves and is no where near as run down as St James' is!!

So we move on to my 'sleep', there's a bar connected to the hotel, very noisy and karaoke was blasting until 11:30pm so I didn't get an early night, then at 5:45am the bin wagon arrived banging and clattering, I just couldn't believe my luck!! After this other delivery wagons started to arrive, so I just got up and left ASAP

I can see that Paul Grantley - general manager - comments on every review on here, please don't say to me your aware that the hotel needs "upgrading to a modern look" as you keep saying it but there doesn't appear to be any upgrading work taking place.

I'm amazed this hotel is still running and ill be sending a letter of complaint to your head office also!!

Steven Oldfield

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Guest
I am writing in response to your recent correspondence with ourselves regarding the St James Hotel in Grimsby. As General Manager of this hotel I am deeply saddened by your disappointment with your stay at my establishment.

After reading your comments regarding the hotel personnel, I have conducted a full investigation. Failure to use the designated area for staff breaks has not portrayed the professionalism which we strive to portray and I can only apologise for this and assure you that it will not happen again. We do hold events in our public bar, but make sure that all music is turned off by 11.00pm sharp.

Corus Hotels are currently involved in a group wide restructuring programme to improve all of our properties over the next few years, the St James Hotel is to benefit from refurbishment as part of this.
I do understand that much work is needed in the hotel and I am doing all I can to try and improve this hotel.

Again thank you for your comments.