“GREAT STAY”

The St. James Hotel Grimsby
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Grimsby
Reviewed November 24, 2011

This is our 3rd stay at the St James and we love it. It is a little dated but over the years they have brought it up to date, large TVs in the bedrooms with tea and coffee making facilities. Staff are very friendly and welcoming with nothing being to much trouble. We will definatley be using the St James Hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
PEG80, Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for your very kind comments, we pride ourselves on achieving high standards, and it’s always nice for my team to receive feedback as we strive for even higher standards.

I would like to personnelly thank you for noticing that we have made improvment to the hotel. I have plans to invest, which will be on going over the coming years.

I very much look forward to having opportunity in welcoming you back on your next visit to Grimsby

I will certainly pass on your review to my team, whom always like to know we achieved our goals of exceeded our guest expectations.

Kind regards,

There are newer reviews for The St. James Hotel Grimsby

Reviewed November 24, 2011

ive stayed at st james hotel a few times as its close to the train station and everything is at arms length. the rooms are very clean, the beds are comfortable and pillows are fluffy. food always tastes home made and delicious value for money. the staff are friendly, approachable and helpful, nothing is too much trouble. but on my last stay i was pleasantly surprised to see a drastic change. the room i stayed in had been decorated to a very high standard with no corners being cut, a lot of detail had gone into it unlike other hotels ive stayed in. i actually took a photo and showed my boyfriend as i want my bedroom to look the same.in fact i would like to know the name of the decorating firm they use.

Room Tip: go for a newly decorated room, you get a good nights sleep.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo

Dear Guest

It is nice for guests to see pass the the age of the hotel and see that progress has been taking place.

Kind regards,

Reviewed November 22, 2011

This place is not as bad as some reviews may lead you to believe. Yes the decor is laughably dated, the "control panel" by our bed wouldn't have looked out of place on Jimmy Saville's chair and the carpets are migraine inducing, but our room was clean and quite spacious. The staff try their very best and are friendly and welcoming. We asked how long the bar stayed open and was told "Well it's meant to be 24/7 but we tend to close around 4am for an hour or so to clean" !!!
We had no issue with noise from outside and backed onto the church area. I guess the autumn chill put paid to anyone wanting to hang around outside. There does seem to be an issue with car crime. Don't leave your car in the back carpark or if you have to make sure it is empty. A woman had her windows smashed and car emptied on Saturday night.
We didn't eat in the place at night. The smell of the Friday night fish meal put me off but we did have the English buffet breakfast each day and it was not too bad.
I think they could do with some better security system on the doors as people just seem to wander in who aren't guests and use the loo in the lobby - the guy on late duty had to chase 2 people out of there on Friday.

Room Tip: get a room on the 2nd floor
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind words and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, i will pass on your comments to all my team.

The hotel does need work, but we are working on projects to make this happen. The hotel has upgraded the 2nd floor Bedrooms and we do have plans to carry on investing in the hotel.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed November 19, 2011

look past the bad taste wallpaper and you find a gem of a hotel nice friendly staff good food nice tv in room clean bathroom what more you want I paid 45 wouldn't had moaned at 85 I've seen bad reviews don't believe all you read

• Stayed: November 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed November 3, 2011

This hotel is ideally situated right on Grimsby town centre, next to the railway station also.
Grimsby itself i was pleasantly surprised at with good shopping centre and clean overall.
Stayed here Friday 28th October. Check in was polite enough, we were orginally down for a first floor room, but having read the reviews on here asked if we could be on the second floor, to which the receptionist said 'how'd ya know about that'.
Now it surprises me that if you wanted people to go away with a favourable image of your hotel why not fill all the refurbed rooms first, so that the majority get the nicer rooms?
So room 204, i think, was a nice adequate room, shower mildly un powerful, but overall decor and room clean and tidy, great value for money at £45 for the night.
So overall nice place to stay, just don't ecpect to get the ritz when your paying under £50 a night.

Room Tip: Get on the second floor
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
PEG80, Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2011

Dear Guest
I thanks for your feedback, it’s always nice to receive reviews from our guests.

Indeed we are upgrading our bedrooms and public area and many other facets of the property, all comment are taken seriously and will be action accordingly with the relevant management. We have done much work on the hotel over the last few years, but do understand we need to keep progressing with the refurbishment.
It is Unfortunate that we only have 39 rooms, which have been up graded at this time Accommodate all guests.

again I would like to thank you for your comments.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed November 1, 2011

I am writiing this from the room.... Staying here on business it is not at my expense but if it was I would be very upset. The room and the hotel is extremely dated and in need of refurbishment, though Grimsby itself is an obsolute hole so it could be whats expected. Wood chip on the walls, leather clad desks, and a very old radio/alarm system next to the bed. Positive note is the TV works and has a signal.

The restaurant, this is from my personal experience, is awful. I had a started of potato skins with chilli, the skins were quite obviously pre cooked and reheated (extremely dry). I had a curry for main which was quite simply a very cheap (though £8 in the hotel) microwave curry.

Not sure if there is anything better in Grimsby (stay away from the area completely) but would not stay here again

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for you comment regarding your stay at the St James Hotel

As the Manager of this hotel I am deeply saddened by the disappointing experience you had of our Restaurant. Normal we receive high acclaimed for the standards we offer and since we started the new menu our trade has increased. This said there can never be any excuses as for why any of our standards should fall short of our own company requirements and of our customer’s expectations, for this I do sincerely apologise.

St James Hotels are currently involved in improve the hotel with a soft up garde, i can say that we have up garded 39 bedrooms on our second floor. Having said this, I fully appreciate the problem you encountered managed to detract from your enjoyment of your stay and I must therefore offer you my most sincere apologies on behalf of the St James Hotel for the annoyance and frustration you have been caused.

Kind regards

Reviewed October 26, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for one night. Location was good for me, being walking distance from the railway station. Check in was fast, and staff were efficient and courteous. Whilst walking to my hotel room it became obvious that the hotel furniture and fittings were all very old and in need of replacement. The carpet in the corridor was of a style straight out of the seventies, and the extremely threadbare edges proved it was not meant to be funky retro styling, it was an original probably 40 years old.

The room was clean, although the bed not particularly comfortable due to its obvious age, and the walls thin enough to hear the ablutions of my neighbour. There was an ensuite bathroom, but like everything else in this hotel it was in dire need of renovation. The room had a TV, and there seemed to be free wifi although I did not need to connect so didn't test it. As part of the original fittings there was an old console between the beds which used to be used to control the lights and television. Although now defunct it looked like it was straight out of Thunderbirds and was another reminder of how long it must have been since this hotel was renovated.

I had dinner in the restaurant. The choices from the a la carte menu were very limited due to the kitchen running low on many items, and what I decided to eat was of average quality.

After the meal I had a few drinks in the bar, and on the plus side these were the cheapest drinks I have ever ordered in a hotel bar in the UK in my life!

Overall I have given this hotel a poor rating, although this is primarily due to the dated nature of the room and ensuite and in general the entire hotel. Staff were good (although not excellent) and sheets and ensuite were clean enough to to worry to much about staying here for one night. I would avoid the restaurant to eat if possible, as there must surely be better restaurants in Grimsby.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2011

Dear Guest

Indeed we are upgrading our bedrooms and public area and many other facets of the property, all comment are taken seriously and will be action accordingly with the relevant management. We have done much work on the hotel over the year, but I do understand we need to keep progressing with the refurbishment throughout the hotel.

I was disappointed to read the comment about the restaurant and standard of food.
As a team we are always looking at ways to improve our services and we will review your comments and action accordingly.

Again I would like to apologies and if you wish to discuss this any further please do not hesitate to contact me.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future so that you can see the changes.

Kindest Regards