“Good value if you get on the second floor.......”

The St. James Hotel Grimsby
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Grimsby
Bristol,UK
“Good value if you get on the second floor.......”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

This hotel is ideally situated right on Grimsby town centre, next to the railway station also.
Grimsby itself i was pleasantly surprised at with good shopping centre and clean overall.
Stayed here Friday 28th October. Check in was polite enough, we were orginally down for a first floor room, but having read the reviews on here asked if we could be on the second floor, to which the receptionist said 'how'd ya know about that'.
Now it surprises me that if you wanted people to go away with a favourable image of your hotel why not fill all the refurbed rooms first, so that the majority get the nicer rooms?
So room 204, i think, was a nice adequate room, shower mildly un powerful, but overall decor and room clean and tidy, great value for money at £45 for the night.
So overall nice place to stay, just don't ecpect to get the ritz when your paying under £50 a night.

Room Tip: Get on the second floor
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
PEG80, Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
Dear Guest
I thanks for your feedback, it’s always nice to receive reviews from our guests.

Indeed we are upgrading our bedrooms and public area and many other facets of the property, all comment are taken seriously and will be action accordingly with the relevant management. We have done much work on the hotel over the last few years, but do understand we need to keep progressing with the refurbishment.
It is Unfortunate that we only have 39 rooms, which have been up graded at this time Accommodate all guests.

again I would like to thank you for your comments.

Paul Grantley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I am writiing this from the room.... Staying here on business it is not at my expense but if it was I would be very upset. The room and the hotel is extremely dated and in need of refurbishment, though Grimsby itself is an obsolute hole so it could be whats expected. Wood chip on the walls, leather clad desks, and a very old radio/alarm system next to the bed. Positive note is the TV works and has a signal.

The restaurant, this is from my personal experience, is awful. I had a started of potato skins with chilli, the skins were quite obviously pre cooked and reheated (extremely dry). I had a curry for main which was quite simply a very cheap (though £8 in the hotel) microwave curry.

Not sure if there is anything better in Grimsby (stay away from the area completely) but would not stay here again

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for you comment regarding your stay at the St James Hotel

As the Manager of this hotel I am deeply saddened by the disappointing experience you had of our Restaurant. Normal we receive high acclaimed for the standards we offer and since we started the new menu our trade has increased. This said there can never be any excuses as for why any of our standards should fall short of our own company requirements and of our customer’s expectations, for this I do sincerely apologise.

St James Hotels are currently involved in improve the hotel with a soft up garde, i can say that we have up garded 39 bedrooms on our second floor. Having said this, I fully appreciate the problem you encountered managed to detract from your enjoyment of your stay and I must therefore offer you my most sincere apologies on behalf of the St James Hotel for the annoyance and frustration you have been caused.

Kind regards
Paul Grantley

Travelers are raving about these Grimsby hotels

Hunstanton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for one night. Location was good for me, being walking distance from the railway station. Check in was fast, and staff were efficient and courteous. Whilst walking to my hotel room it became obvious that the hotel furniture and fittings were all very old and in need of replacement. The carpet in the corridor was of a style straight out of the seventies, and the extremely threadbare edges proved it was not meant to be funky retro styling, it was an original probably 40 years old.

The room was clean, although the bed not particularly comfortable due to its obvious age, and the walls thin enough to hear the ablutions of my neighbour. There was an ensuite bathroom, but like everything else in this hotel it was in dire need of renovation. The room had a TV, and there seemed to be free wifi although I did not need to connect so didn't test it. As part of the original fittings there was an old console between the beds which used to be used to control the lights and television. Although now defunct it looked like it was straight out of Thunderbirds and was another reminder of how long it must have been since this hotel was renovated.

I had dinner in the restaurant. The choices from the a la carte menu were very limited due to the kitchen running low on many items, and what I decided to eat was of average quality.

After the meal I had a few drinks in the bar, and on the plus side these were the cheapest drinks I have ever ordered in a hotel bar in the UK in my life!

Overall I have given this hotel a poor rating, although this is primarily due to the dated nature of the room and ensuite and in general the entire hotel. Staff were good (although not excellent) and sheets and ensuite were clean enough to to worry to much about staying here for one night. I would avoid the restaurant to eat if possible, as there must surely be better restaurants in Grimsby.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, October 27, 2011
Dear Guest

Indeed we are upgrading our bedrooms and public area and many other facets of the property, all comment are taken seriously and will be action accordingly with the relevant management. We have done much work on the hotel over the year, but I do understand we need to keep progressing with the refurbishment throughout the hotel.

I was disappointed to read the comment about the restaurant and standard of food.
As a team we are always looking at ways to improve our services and we will review your comments and action accordingly.

Again I would like to apologies and if you wish to discuss this any further please do not hesitate to contact me.

Preston
Reviewed September 23, 2011

If you're going to stay here ask for a room on the second floor - as these have been refurbished. I didn't get one of those rooms. Everywhere else is very run-down. My room was cleaned properly each day and most of the staff were lovely - which gives it the score of 2 but the dated dingy decor and appalling coffee at breakfast just isn't good enough. It was full of workmen when I stayed - who were drinking in the car-park and wondering in with their bags of cans which gave a certain 'atmosphere' - so its cheap and there's a reason for that but I have stayed in better travelodges for less. I was attending an event and the organisers felt sorry for me when I said where we were staying - should have asked them first - Ah well a little hindsight.

Room Tip: rooms on second floor have been refurbished
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank curlyPreston
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback, it’s always nice to receive reviews from our guests.

Indeed we are upgrading all our bedrooms and many other facets of the property, which will be done over a period of time. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future so that you can see the changes.

Blaenau Gwent
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I stayed here with my daughter from 29 August to 3 September on a coach trip. Very apprehensive having read some of the awful reviews but pleasantly surprised. Staff great, room comfy and sparkling clean. One drawback was mentioned in other reviews, that of youths gathering in the church grounds which I suppose could be a problem particularly for those staying on the 1st floor and particularly at weekends, but we didn't encounter this in the week we were there. Breakfasts were good but I do agree the evening meals could have been a little more imaginative but if you wanted more, there was no problem. However, I didn't care for the way in which the coach visitors were crammed together and could only go up for their evening meal on a rota basis. There is work needed to be done in this area as we felt a little inferior to the other guests. The bar prices were very reasonable.
There was entertainment on 2 nights, a little dated but quite enjoyable.
The staff were very approachable and met our requests for different foods with no problem.
I would go there again but ask for a room on the top floor to get away from the problems connected with the church area. Carol West.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback, I am most pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us. As a team we pride ourselves on service and hotel standards, I was disappointed to read that you felt the food on a evening was not to your liking. however rest assured we will ensure that we rectify these issues. We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us in the future.

Regards,

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2011

I stayed at The St. James Hotel for three nights this week on business. Overall, the hotel is very dated and a bit shabby looking but I found everywhere to be clean. My room on the second floor had been recenty refurbished but still looked a bit 1950's. It was quite spacious. On my first night, my colleagues and I ate in the hotel restaurant and we didn't repeat the experience again. The food was reasonably priced but not particularly good - I had a very chewy Steak Pie. My room on the first night was incredibly noisy due to drunk youths outside but I was moved on the second night when I complained. My company paid for our stay but I beleive that the hotel is cheap and it would be ok for a one-night stopover if you only expect the basics. It isn't 5* luxury but you cannot expect that for £30-45 per night.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback, I am most pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us. As a team we pride ourselves on service and hotel standards, I was disappointed to read of the poor quality of the food which you experianced on the first night stay, however rest assured we will ensure that we rectify these issues. We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us in the future.

Regards,

Paul Grantley
Ramada Hotel & Suites Coventry.
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Rooms really clean very good value much impressed wiv the referb staff are very helpful the reception and restaurant staff are wonderful and always there if u need then the food is well worth the money will be returning

• Stayed August 2011
Thank you for your review, its always nice when guests notice the improvements we make to the property.