“Traditional Sunday Lunch”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Traditional Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

From the minute we arrived (late for our reservation!) we were warmly welcomed as though our lateness was not a problem on this very busy Sunday lunchtime. We both enjoy quality food and service and we were not disappointed with our visit to the Ship Inn. We sat in the sun in the courtyard whilst waiting for our table which we were told would be ready in 20 minutes - and it was. The service in the restaurant was excellent, the food looked delicious, well presented on warm plates and tasted fabulous. We live in Leeds now so this was a trek back in time for my partner and he and I thought it was worth the mileage. I would highly recommend the Ship Inn and we will be visiting there again very soon.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Bev I
Norma R, Owner at The Ship Inn, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you very much for your very kind comments.

I am so pleased that your journey was worth while and hope that we shall see you again soon.

cleethorpes
“Best overall meal experience in this area by far...”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I have been regular visitors to The Ship Inn for the last few years, since relocating back to the area from London. We do a lot of traveling around the world and have eaten in some of the most fabulous places, so like to think of ourselves as "foodies" for want of a better word! The Ship Inn never fails to delight in, not only the quality of food, but also the quality of service and general ambiance. I am a fish lover and the fish is always fresh and cooked to perfection. My husband is a "carnivore" and absolutely loves the steaks served here - always cooked to a very high standard and always cooked to order. We generally eat from the specials board as the dishes are frequently changed, so we never become bored of the choices on offer. The starters are usually spectacular, not only in taste but also presentation and I'm frequently snapping away at the dishes we choose to show to friends!! The staff are very friendly and the service is excellent! Nothing is ever too much trouble, and our requests are always met, no matter how diverse they may be!!

I would not hesitate in recommending The Ship Inn - after trying various other pubs/restaurants in the area, I would not eat anywhere else.

• Visited September 2013
Norma R, Owner at The Ship Inn, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
What a delight to read such a lovely review!
It is so good to hear that our food has pleased you especially as you have obviously had great experience world wide.
Thank you so much and we look forward to seeing you again soon and hope you continue to enjoy our meals etc.
Lincolnshire
“Poor quality fish...........”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This was a not a pleasure for me. The mature lady whom served us, was quite rude to say the least........ on not eating my fish she questioned as to why so being polite i said i do not eat much when really i should have said it was terrible unlike this lady whom then passed comment and said i can see you dont eat alot how humiliating i felt so embarrassed by this .......... she then came back to the table and said that the fish was not fresh and would not charge for it. To be honest it should not have been served in the first place, and this person needs to learn some manners when deling with customers, would not recommend and shall not return.

• Visited July 2013
7 Thank jamell2013
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Very quaint country pub”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We visited the ship inn on Saturday August 30th 2013 for lunch. There were 3 of us and all picked something different. Two ate from the specials board and one from the menu. The specials board is very appealing with high quality choices. It sounds as though the chef is very creative. The two specials we enjoyed were very good. The food service was a little slow considering the pub was very quiet, but the food was worth the wait. The two female bar staff were very courteous and professional. The surroundings are very quaint, and it looks like a picture postcard English pub.
All in all, i would recommend a visit to sample excellant food and a charming atmosphere.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank ReeceSamJess
Norma R, Owner at The Ship Inn, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments. Our 'team' are so pleased that you enjoyed your meals and we hope to see you again soon.
Berkshire, United Kingdom
“Silver Wedding Anniversary Meal”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

A good pub guide recommendation and this was backed up by the reception staff at our hotel so came here for our wedding anniversary. As it was a Tuesday did not book and was amazed how busy it was. Shown into the dining room in the rear which was perfectly adequate. I had a really good steak and ale pie with vegetables which were still rather al-dente and my wife had a prawn sandwich (yes - she was not very hungry) but it was fantastic, malted brown bread, more prawns than I have ever seen, salad and chips. A really good meal.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank AnthonyandAna
NormaR421, Manager at The Ship Inn, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
I am so pleased that having chosen the good pub guide recommendation, you were pleased with your meals and I hope you had a very happy Silver Wedding Anniversary.
It is good to know that your wife enjoyed the prawn sandwiches and you enjoyed your steak and ale pie. Thank you for your kind comments and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Regards,