“Diabolical”

Ranked #48 of 148 Restaurants in Cleethorpes
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I recently visited the restaurant with a group of friends on a day out, the staff we're unbelievably rude. The order was wrong and the waitress told my friend to 'grab it before she slung it' to which one if us said 'talk about service with a smile' she then went on to bad mouth us to the other customers saying she had daughters our age how dare we comment on her service. The food wasn't very good and was a very off putting atmosphere with them carrying on when it was a simple mistake that could have been resolved easily enough. Would definitely never go there again.

2  Thank Sandrasimpson1

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We've visited here for a number of years when we have a day out in Cleethorpes or on our way to/back from the cinema. You know what you're getting and I believe it is better value than the more well-known corner house across the road, and it doesn't try and dress up the fact that it is a fish and chippy. My younger brother is a bit of a fussy eater sometimes but everyone cleans their plates when we visit. Definitely worth sitting down to eat so you can appreciate it. If you're hungry I suggest the jumbo haddock- definitely a belly filler. Recommend Ernie Becketts.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Had a jumbo fish and chips today, was fantastic! It really was jumbo , crisp batter and lovely white fish, chips lovely as well, my new favourite chippy, well recomended.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I have visited Ernie Becketts a few times to eat in and always been happy but today they were simply perfect. Well cooked flakey fish with a crisp and light batter and perfectly cooked chips. A thermos tea pot ensured the tea also remained perfectly hot throughout the meal. Service was friendly and lively. OK this may not be the most modern restaurant but its traditional and thats just how I like my seaside.

PS. Have also visited Steeles in the past but Ernie's is superior and better priced.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We followed the advice of our fellow trip advisors and made our way to Ernie Becketts one lunch time for take out. We had haddock and chips each and a can of pop. Sons had curry sauce with theirs and hubby had mushy peas and a bread bun. The fish was nice and white, but the batter was far too thick for our liking. I much prefer cod, but as I could not see it on the menu went for a standard haddock, which seemed huge but by the time you took off the batter it was quite thin. Youngest son left his as he doesn't like fish skin. He also left most of his chips as the meal was dished up in a polystyrene tray with chips in the bottom drowned in curry sauce and the fish balanced on the top. We probably would have enjoyed the food more if it had been served in a cardboard box with the peas/sauces on the side so that we could put the salt and vinegar on the chips first. We went down to the sea front to eat our lunch but it was also difficult to eat the food from the tray as it could not be balanced on the knee because of the amount of curry sauce. Very disappointed, have had better from Whitby sitting on the pier.

2  Thank AuntieShirley