“1950's Seaside (lack of) Hospitality”

and 1 more site!
Kingsway Hotel Cleethorpes
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Cleethorpes
Reviewed July 28, 2010

A family celebration nearby led us to spending a night at the Kingsway in Cleethorpes. After all, the reviews looked favourable.

We quickly found the secure covered carpark for which the hotel charges a nominal fee, which is fair enough. After carrying our bags through the hotel to the reception, we had to wait for what seemed like an eternity while a group in front of us were arguing who should pay for their bar meal. "Let me pay!", "No - Let me!!" etc. At the hotel reception? A chap who looked like a porter/concierge arrived and our hopes rose momentarily, but he was more intent on circulating round the hotel, spreading the latest news from England's world cup game, leaving us with the giggling receptionist.

Eventually we had our key, and headed upwards until we reached the top floor, which clearly has been refurbished as all the colours suddenly became neutral.

Into our room and I must say, for the money it was excellent. A long bright attic room with a grandstand view of the Cleethorpes seafront, and the estuary beyond. Again, lots of neutral colours, nice bed, tea & coffee facilities (albeit a bit mean on the tea/coffee allowance) and a super big telly to watch the remainder of the England world cup match on. Bathroom was nice & modern with a couple of small niggles not worth going into at this price.

Unfortunately, everything fell apart the next day as our breakfast experience proved to be the difference between a quite positive and utterly negative review of the Kingsway..

Breakfast was advertised as 07:30 - 09:30. To us, that means if we arrive at 09:20 we should expect the same standard of breakfast and service as if we were arriving at 07:45. We were on a rare day's holiday after all.

We went to sit close to our relatives, at a table which was laid with cups and saucers (ie not for dinner with wine glasses etc), but we were approached by a grim faced dinner lady who clearly trained at the school of 1950s seaside landladies. There was no "Good Morning, did you sleep well?" instead we were greeted with: "No, you can't sit there". We had to sit at a table "laid for breakfast". She ushered us to the other end of the virtually empty restaurant to a table which had clearly already been used. There was a saucer sized coffee stain on the cloth and the table wasn't properly set. Cutlery missing, no butter or marmalade... etc etc She was SO unfriendly and we were so taken aback we just went along with it! Seconds after we'd helped ourselves to some fruit from the sparse buffet the dinner ladies discussed loudly that they should start clearing the buffet away: "it is 9.25 after all".
Our cooked breakfast arrived, and with it came an unrequested bottle of ketchup - plonked in front of us. The cooked food was just OK. Stale coffee came from a jug which had been sitting on the coffee machine for a while (but we were thirsty). No choice of toast - we were given white, take it or leave it. Throughout our meal various members of staff came and went, having loud conversations across the length of the restaurant about their social lives. We felt like uninvited guests in a staff social club, and laughingly found ourselves speaking in hushed tones. At 9.30 prompt one of the dinner ladies disappeared and the other went to sit at a table in the corner for a cup of tea with the receptionist (obviously on a break). Fair enough, everyone is entitled to have a break, but surely the paying guests shouldn't then be ignored? For a coffee refill, we had to take our cups across to the machine before she belatedly got up to offer us more coffee. Meanwhile no attempt was made to clear our dirty plates while we ate our toast.

At no time during breakfast or while we payed our bill were we asked if everything was OK. There was no possibility of having a friendly conversation with anyone, they just weren't interested. We have rarely before experienced such apparent contempt for paying guests.

The hotel website describes first class service and superb hospitality. The owners need to practice what they preach and invest in some proper 21st century hospitality training for some of their staff, in particular the unfriendly breakfast waitresses. Also, at no time were we aware of any management presence, which perhaps explains a lot. Get the basics of hospitality right, and this hotel could be so much better.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Wild-Hogg
There are newer reviews for Kingsway Hotel Cleethorpes

Reviewed July 18, 2010

Friends & I booked this hotel because we were going to see Russell Watson at Meridian Park & this was the nearest hotel . What a find - we were all very pleasantly surprised with this hotel & would definitely book it again .
The hotel had a lovely friendly feel & everywhere was clean . The bed was really comfortable . I had a single room which unfortunately overlooked the fire escape but it didn't matter because I spent very little time in my room & there was a view of the sea from the dining room & lounge.The staff were all very helpful, nothing seemed to be too much trouble.
The full cooked breakfast was really nice , well presented on a hot plate & just the right amount . The cost was included in the room rate which made it very good value.
Undercover parking is £1.50 per night but parking is free if you park in the area that's not covered.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 18, 2010

Stayed here again in a sea facing room. The room had been refurbished and was really excellent. It had everything you could need.
Very good bathroom.
We did not eat in the evening due to other commitments but the breakfast was really good and served in a most pleasent way.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2010

We had stayed at this hotel in 2008 and returned for 1 night at the end of May. Room had a superb view of the estuary and sea front. It was spacious, bright and very comfortable with modern TV. The bathroom was lovely with a bath and shower and plenty of room. Restaurant offers great food and service especially at dinner. We will definitely be back!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2010

First I would like to say I have stayed at this hotel many many times in total over six months in a twelve month period and have tried all the hotels in cleethorpes and grimsby area .and now moved to this area to live and work .The rooms are of a good standard and I am sure I have stayed in nearly all of them ! .Food good quality staff friendly location and parking good lots of bars and restaurants in walking distance .If you are from a big city like I am and used to good quality hotels bars and restaurants I am affraid you will not find many in this part of the world ? But It has Its attractions and a slower pace of life ,More of the older generation do stay at this hotel that shows experience and value do have the upper hand .

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 15, 2010

On a business trip to Grimsby I was unable to find a hotel locally so we ended up in Cleethorpes.
On the plus side, the radiator in my room was broken, but was fixed quickly when I reported it, while we went out for dinner. The hotel was also very clean.
I was not very impressed with my room which was quite old, tired and small, and was really far away from the main reception, overlooking a car park. My colleague's room was much better located, larger and more modern. It looked like the hotel was part way through being refurbished and they had not got to my room yet!
I also found the system for breakfast a bit strange (you couldn't seat yourself, but there was often no-one there to assist) and the food was pretty average, coffee undrinkable.
There are not many hotels in this area so I would probably stay here again - better the devil you know!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2009

Had reservations about staying at this hotel, as I tend to like boutique hotels, but as my husband was on business we thought a more central location would be better for me to while away my days, we did initially have a hiccup with the 1st room, but the staff could not have been more obliging, and we were given a choice of 4 more, from then on we could not fault it, as previous people have stated, the staff were lovely, very friendly and helpful, the food is superb, try the triple mini dessert !! and the rooms clean & tidy, with towel changes daily, if I had a quibble it would be the shower water pressure, but overall "boutique hotel" it isn't , but we wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone, have already checked Xmas dates, but unfortunately it wouldn't appear to be open over the festive season.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cleethorpes
The Burlington Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Grimsby
Millfields Hotel
Millfields Hotel
#7 of 10 in Grimsby

Been to Kingsway Hotel Cleethorpes? Share your experiences!