“Best hotel in Cleethorpes”

Kingsway Hotel Cleethorpes
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Cleethorpes
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
“Best hotel in Cleethorpes”
Reviewed June 10, 2010

First I would like to say I have stayed at this hotel many many times in total over six months in a twelve month period and have tried all the hotels in cleethorpes and grimsby area .and now moved to this area to live and work .The rooms are of a good standard and I am sure I have stayed in nearly all of them ! .Food good quality staff friendly location and parking good lots of bars and restaurants in walking distance .If you are from a big city like I am and used to good quality hotels bars and restaurants I am affraid you will not find many in this part of the world ? But It has Its attractions and a slower pace of life ,More of the older generation do stay at this hotel that shows experience and value do have the upper hand .

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2010

On a business trip to Grimsby I was unable to find a hotel locally so we ended up in Cleethorpes.
On the plus side, the radiator in my room was broken, but was fixed quickly when I reported it, while we went out for dinner. The hotel was also very clean.
I was not very impressed with my room which was quite old, tired and small, and was really far away from the main reception, overlooking a car park. My colleague's room was much better located, larger and more modern. It looked like the hotel was part way through being refurbished and they had not got to my room yet!
I also found the system for breakfast a bit strange (you couldn't seat yourself, but there was often no-one there to assist) and the food was pretty average, coffee undrinkable.
There are not many hotels in this area so I would probably stay here again - better the devil you know!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
cheshire
Reviewed September 3, 2009

Had reservations about staying at this hotel, as I tend to like boutique hotels, but as my husband was on business we thought a more central location would be better for me to while away my days, we did initially have a hiccup with the 1st room, but the staff could not have been more obliging, and we were given a choice of 4 more, from then on we could not fault it, as previous people have stated, the staff were lovely, very friendly and helpful, the food is superb, try the triple mini dessert !! and the rooms clean & tidy, with towel changes daily, if I had a quibble it would be the shower water pressure, but overall "boutique hotel" it isn't , but we wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone, have already checked Xmas dates, but unfortunately it wouldn't appear to be open over the festive season.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Lowestoft
Reviewed July 10, 2009

So, the single room is small, single bed with quaint, flowered counterpane, small telly. But, I love this hotel. I immediately feel comfortable when I walk in, the staff and owners are excellent. The dining room meals are expensive but gorgeous, well worth the splurge.
I brought a salad in and asked whether I could borrow a knife & fork, ended up with cutlery, plate and napkin too, provided with a big smile.
Good choice and friendly service at breakfast. Asked for half milk, half water and sultanas in my porridge - it was perfect and filling. The fire alarm went off one morning, the female owner went tearing up the stairs, very concerned although she realised it was because somebody left their bathroom door opening when showering. She got it sorted in quick time to look after her guests.
Another draw for me is that is is practically on the beach, within reach of leisure centre and lots of Indian restaurants and fish n chip shops amongst others.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
wrexham
Reviewed July 8, 2009

I visited the Kingsway Hotel last Saturday(4th July 2009) as I was attending an eighteenth birthday party being held for my partner's cousin.We arrived at 330 in the afternoon and after a walk along the promenade and on the beach which was clean and tidy-we went back to the hotel and checked in.Although the bar appeared closed,a member of staff was more than happy to open up and get some refreshing cold drinks for us after our long journey.The room was spacious clean and tidy with a good sized bathroom which was spotless with plenty of towels.The Room Service was delivered speedily and accurately as were the two rounds of drinks ordered-I found the staff very efficient and courteous throughout my stay and the car park was secure and locked at night.An excellent breakfast with sufficient choice was taken the next morning and I really enjoyed my stay-the staff were friendly and attentive without being overbearing in any way and I would definitely stay again.We walked back to the hotel at approximately 2am in the morning and it was still very lively in the town centre but this Hotel is set in between the Pleasure Beach and centre of town and was very quiet.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
cleethorpes
Reviewed May 26, 2009

With a view to booking an anniversary meal i went into reception to ask for detail re menu, The young lady on reception was polite and attempted to be helpful but was over-ruled by her senior male member of staff. He was at best distainful, at worst....... not encoraging for a local resident who will now ensure the attitude she encountered is relayed to all in her extended circle of friends and colleagues.

Stayed May 2009
1 Thank zabeth123
Rural Cheshire
Reviewed May 26, 2009

I'll come clean straight away. I was born in Grimsby and lived there for the first 20 years of my life so I know the area well. Despite the hideous wooden cladding that greets you when you approach the hotel, the Kingsway has always had a rather exclusive, up-market reputation. My husband and I go back there every year to visit friends and relatives and it did go through a period of 'resting on its laurels' somewhat. However, the Executive rooms (all with views over the prom, beach and estuary) have all been given a make-over - or so I believe - and money does seem to be being ploughed back into the establishment. You have only to try and find a parking space during the Sunday lunch period to realise how popular it is with the more well-heeled locals. Staff can be divided into two camps - those who give the appearance of being frosty and a tad aloof (for whatever reason) and those who are refreshingly friendly. I think especially of the two ladies who've been serving breakfasts there for years now.

As we are mostly fed and watered by friends when we go back, I've never eaten there other than at breakfast. The food gets a mixed reception from people I know who have dined there but, judging by the Sunday lunch crowd, it obviously gets a huge thumbs-up from some locals. Breakfast is pretty much the same as you'd get anywhere which is a shame because there are better Lincolnshire sausages to be had than those served at the Kingsway. However, in the 6 years I've been going I've never seriously considered staying anywhere else. Cleethorpes is definitely looker better for its various face-lifts and Grimsby is going to the dogs so if you fancy a stay in this part of this world - and Lincolnshire is a gem of a county - then I'd certainly recommend the Kingsway.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Josara
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cleethorpes
The Burlington Hotel
#2 of 10 in Grimsby
Millfields Hotel
Millfields Hotel
#7 of 10 in Grimsby

Been to Kingsway Hotel Cleethorpes? Share your experiences!