“A well-run,comfortable hotel with good,plain food.”

Kingsway Hotel Cleethorpes
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Cleethorpes
Salisbury
“A well-run,comfortable hotel with good,plain food.”
Reviewed April 21, 2009

I have stayed in this hotel several times always for one night only including last week.It is family owned and managed,but none the worse for that.The recently refurbished rooms are comfortable but a little old fashioned.The food is surprisingly good in an area not renowned for haute cuisine (apart from fish and chips!).If you stay here eat in,you will be pleasantly surprised.No real ale in the Bar,which is a minus.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Halesworth, Suffolk
Reviewed May 27, 2008

We have just had the Spring Bank Holiday Weekend at this Hotel with another couple. We were extremely suprised at the high quality of the hotel and the staff were excellent and could not do enough for you. It is a family run business and although we at first thought
that the owners wife on reception was a little frosty, we decided later that she was a little shy and was really friendly. The rooms were decorated to a high standard and extremely clean as were all the public areas and facilties. The staff were courteous and nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast was very filling and plentiful and although we did not stay for dinner, all waiters were in dinner jackets and it was obvious that the restaurant was very popular with well dressed locals. We would definately go back to this hotel and would recommend it.

• Liked — Old Fashion attitude that nothing was too much trouble
  • Disliked — There was nothing I did not like
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
West Vancouver
Reviewed October 14, 2007

We had been very disappointed during earlier visits but, being severely limited with choice in the area, decided to try the Kingsway once again. Our booking was handled well and, following recommendation, we reserved an Executive room.

It was reasonably spacious and clean, although somewhat dated.

We would willingly stay on future visits.

The staff was courteous.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Leeds, UK
Reviewed March 30, 2007

The previous reviews are very accurate. I stayed at the Kingsway when working recently in Grimsby. It is excellent value for money. The food in the restaurant is traditional and of good quality and my room was very comfortable, with a view of the sea, and seemed to have been recently refurbished. The lounges and bar are elegant, comfortable and relaxing. The hotel is 10 minutes drive from Grimsby and has ample safe parking. The staff were friendly and efficient. If you are working in the area forget the chains and stay here for a bit of character. I paid £75 a night B&B and a very good 3 course dinner was £25.

• Liked — dinner in the restaurant, en-suite bathroom
  • Disliked — total lack of broadband internet access, did not even succeed in dialling-up
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank GordonD
Carlisle
Reviewed March 4, 2007

I was very pleasantly suprised by the Kingsway at Cleethorpes during my recent stay and would recommend it to other travellers with the following conditions:

1. It is an old-fashioned hotel - don't expect internet access, fancy TV's, modern cuisine.
2. I paid extra and stayed in a sea-view executive room (107), cost £84 including breakfast. Nice big room, nice bathroom, seperate shower and bath. No idea what the standard rooms are like.
3. It has a VERY quiet atmosphere in the bar and resteraunt. In fact, I think they must have some older residents as they all knew each other and had their own tables at breakfast. In fact, I'm sure that major out of faulty towers was staying there!
4. The staff are all characters (which I like) and not at all what you get at the chain hotels, so be prepared for a bit of banter!

I have stayed at the St James in Grimsby (scary, dump) and the Elizabeth as well (dump) and this is a far superior place to stay.

I ate in the resteraunt and the meal was OK, a bit plain and old fashioned for my taste, so I'll find a curry house next time, but good service and more than ample, if a little pricey.

Breakfast was good, with good service.

I was also suprised by Cleethorpes itself which seems to be going through a bit of a renaisance with a bizarre mix of penthouse flats and cheap amusment arcades.

Overall my experience of the hotel was very good - I will stay here in future when in the area.

• Liked — Location and staff
  • Disliked — Nothing Really
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank ScotsJohn
Warwickshire
Reviewed February 1, 2007

I have stayed here many times as I often work in the local area. The hotel has a very individual character as it is still family owned. Its a bit like stepping back in time when you enter the reception but the rooms have been renovated over the past few years making them comfortable and quiet. If I have a pet hate in hotels it is carpet in the bathroom and every room I have stayed in at the Kingsway has that even though in several rooms the shower screen is not doing its job and the carpet has gone mouldy. Its a shame as it does detract from what otherwise would be a nice change from the 'chain' rivals.

There isnt much atmosphere in the restaurant or bar of an evening but in summer a bracing walk along the seafront is pleasant. Breakfast is fresh and well done and the hotel represents good value versus local competiors which are poor imitators.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank NixM
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2006

I stayed for one night in Oct 06. I was on business in Grimsby the following day. All hotels in Grimsby were full which in fact was a blessing - I had previously stayed at the Elizabeth in Grimsby which was not a hotel I would have ever stayed in again.

Grimsby is about 10 mins (at rush hour) in a taxi from Cleethorpes - so my advice is stay in Cleethorpes.

The Kingsway is a family run hotel which seemed to be full of relatively elderly guests on holiday. The atmosphere was very friendly and the staff were all very polite.

My room was fantastic - at first I thought I was in a suite. The room was extremely spacious, was nicely furnished (including books!) and had a lovely sea view (superior room). The bathroom was nicely decorated and my bed was extremely comfy !. The final point was breakfast the next day which was included in the price. I had a full english breakfast which was freshly cooked. The plate was sizzling when it came out and was a proper home cooked breakfast.

A very reasonable hotel for the cost of £86.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank roxburgh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cleethorpes
The Burlington Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Grimsby
The Yarborough Hotel
The Yarborough Hotel
#5 of 10 in Grimsby

Been to Kingsway Hotel Cleethorpes? Share your experiences!