“terrible service didn't even get to taste the food”

The Dovedale Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Cleethorpes
Reviewed December 19, 2009

Booked the restaurant a month in advance paying deposits and pre ordered food for 13 people only to be told the night before our 5 year old wasn't able to go because they don't serve children after 7-30 even though we had pre ordered off the children's menu a week before. After complaining about this and stating that it was a family meal for my sisters 21st birthday they was prepared to make an exception just this once. My mother went to the restaurant earlier in the day to take balloons and table decorations and cakes. It had been snowing so we all arrived at the restaurant at 8 our meal was booked for 8-30 and sat down paid for a round of drinks and waited patiently the assistant manager came to us at 8-25 to tell us that the previous table had arrived 45 minutes late therefore we would have to wait at least 45 minutes for them to finish there meal. W said we wasn't prepared to wait as wit =h it being her 21st birthday she had arranged to meet people who had travelled from London and Manchester to see her. The assistant manager then offered us 2 bottles of wine on the house which would barely give everyone a drink and to be waiting 45 minutes. My father then said the table before us should have been told they would have to leave as the table had been booked but he said he wasn't prepared to ruin their evening but obviously he was quiet happy to ruin ours. I contacted the manager on the telephone but after informing her this service wasn't good enough she told us we should be happy to get our deposits back and then put the phone down on me. Absolutely disgusting. we left and had to get a takeaway. 21ST birthday ruined and the customer service was disgusting. I will advise everybody to no go there.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank annoyed2121
There are newer reviews for The Dovedale Hotel and Restaurant

Reviewed December 18, 2009

On Friday 18th December we went to the Dovedale Hotel for a meal to celebrate our Niece's 21st Birthday -this had been arranged for many weeks and we had been told that we would eat at 20.30. We arrived at 20.00, got a drink and waited to be seated. After a while we were told that because our table was being used by another party, who had arrived late, we would have to wait at least 45 minutes. The duty Manager told us we could have 3 bottles of wine why we waited. A heated discussion ensued because we had a 5 year old with us to celebrate his Auntie's 21st Birthday and the duty Manager apologised but was not prepared to offer a suitable solution. At this stage we were told that we either had to wait or they would refund our money. We spoke to the owner on the phone and her attitude was you have had your money back what is the problem. It is inconcievable that a restaurant would book 2 large parties to use the same table on the same night. So did they double book or was the intention always to delay our meal so that they could increase their profits? We had pre booked our meals so you would imagine they would have been prepared for us to eat at 20.30 - did all that food go to waste? The thing that was most disappointing was that on one of the busiest nights of the year the owners and Hotel Manager were not available and the impression was that they did not give a damn about their customers but just wanted to take the money. Not a place we would ever visit again.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank bakercleethorpes
Reviewed December 1, 2009

We have just been to the hotel for a meal...I am that disgusted I feel that I need to express my opinions immediately. 6 of us reserved a table for an early Christmas meal. Arrived there and had to wait and eventually asked to be provided with menus...when we did...an unprofessional young waiter stated that this was a new menu today and did not have a clue what the veggie options were included = no preperation. Canapes were then presented...again with no consideration for the veggie among us so we then had to ask ourselves and wait for additional canapes to be brought out. We then went to the dining room...a table on our own...no other diner = should have guessed! Starters...mine was course pate (just taken from the fridge...really cold ramakin and rock solid pate) with cranberry compote...obviously straight out of a jar!!! Other diners commented that the king prawns did not taste the freshest. Mains...2 of the 6 had large hairs on the side...also the vegetables presented with my dish were exactly the same as those presented in dishes to share...parsnips, sweet potatoes and carrots...were is the greenery. Supposed to be roasted root vegetables but had never seen an oven...only "par" boiled. Other parts of the other dishes did not look to be fully cooked. I presented my plate to the kitchen and was told by a snotty little junior chef that it cant be one of our hairs as we have hats on!!! Never the less we half heartedly paid for our starters and walked out....do not dine here it is the worst restaurant experience that I and my family have ever had.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank JUDDAB
Reviewed November 12, 2009

stayed here firstly can i say very friendly staff we called on the off chance and the rooms were great the cocktails are great 2 and the breakfast second to none infact we will be going again this november and taking family and friends too

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2009

I booked this hotel approximately two months before we attended, for a romantic 25th anniversary night and meal.
I attended the Hotel twice prior to our arrival. My first visit was to ensure the room was as good as described. My second visit was in the afternoon of the day of our stay was to take flowers for the room, which surprisingly they couldn’t supply. There is a market around the corner.

Our room was nice, small but nice, (it was described as the Bridal suite). We attended at about 3.30 pm and booked in without incident. After walking on the beach returned to the room and got dressed for dinner at 7.30pm. When we arrived in the dining room we were shown to a table which was impossible to seat two people opposite each other. I had to move the table to sit with my back to the wall and pull the table back to me so my wife stood any chance of getting into the tiny gap left. As my Wife tried to insert herself between a seat and table which she stood no chance of doing, I called the waiter over and told him this was unacceptable, and that how poorly our seating options were in the restaurant. His reply was. “Well you should have booked earlier then.” To eat/sit at that table was impossible. We left the restaurant immediately and ate at an excellent Indian around the corner. I wanted to leave the hotel and stay somewhere where we would be respected and considered but my Wife chose to stay. She was still too upset to eat breakfast so £100 for the room including breakfast was wasted. What was to have been a celebration of 25 years of marriage turned into a guilt riddled evening of regrets.
DO NOT CHOOSE THIS HOTEL IF YOU HAVE AN IMPORTANT CELEBRATION

I left the Hotel still enraged the next morning, wrote a letter to the owner, which is still without the courtesy of a reply weeks later.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paullll
Reviewed August 10, 2009

A lovely weekend in Cleethorpes (the weather was lovely) complimented by our stay at the Dovedale Hotel.
We had a lovely executive room, with a balcony and a "jacuzzi"bath that actually worked.
We were on B & B rate although the breakfast was a little disappointing and felt "rushed". The times for breakfast were 7.00 to 9.00 even on a weekend.
A friendly staff and good amenities helped to ensure we had a very good weekend and we will probably return.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2009

Just returned from 2 night break with spouse and 2 friends, all of the same opinion a delightful weekend nice hotel friendly staff excellent food good location for beach and shops. Would recommend this hotel to all ages. Now for the negatives, shower rooms do not appeal to our party as trying to keep things dry whilst having a shower is not easy ie slippers bathrobe etc. We like to sit outside of an evening and the seating and flowers outside this hotel are very nice but being a bit chilly asked for the outside heater to be lit, only to be told the gas had run out and was only available in the colder months .Bit mean if you ask me , anyway would be happy to return but stock up on gas for chilly nights.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cleethorpes
The Burlington Hotel
#5 of 7 in Cleethorpes
Ashbourne Hotel
Ashbourne Hotel
#1 of 1 in North Killingholme

Been to The Dovedale Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!