“A nice venue”
Review of So Thai - CLOSED

So Thai
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Multi award winning authentic Thai cuisine. Trading now for over 6 years with a very good reputation not only locally but from regular customers nationwide. So if you like to dine with a difference come along to So Thai and taste the wonders of Thai cuisine.
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“A nice venue”
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

Good food, pleasant host, the only complaint is that they didn't have any draught beer. Only bottled beer but apart from that my friends and I enjoyed the evening.

Grimsby, England, United Kingdom
“Fabyouless”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

a luved da food is woz so nice !! wuld defo go bk. I ad dis spizey ting it ad sum pastaery stuff wid it. I ate evry last bit ! a wud 100% go bk. mite evn take me mam 4 mothers day !

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Mia G
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Fantastic and accommodating”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Me and my partner decided to go to So Thai on the 3/9/13 as i wanted my partner to try something new. We were a little apprehensive at first due to my partner suffering from a very serious shell fish allergy and of course most Thai dishes are cooked with fish oils, I first called to make my reservation for a table and enquire about dishes available for allergy sufferers and the gentleman was very helpful and advised of what dishes could be substituted with soy sauce, when we arrived on the evening our waiter was extremely friendly and double checked with the chefs as to what dishes would be suitable for my partner, nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff and they were very accommodating to an allergy sufferer. Our food was fabulous.....i have previously worked in a Thai restaurant myself which was run by a lady of full Thai heritage so i am very aware of how the food should taste and be presented and i must say it was spot on, my mouth was alive with all the flavours and spices. They also have a very good wine list to suit everyones palate. I would highly recommend So Thai to any visitor or resident of Cleethorpes. I will most definately be a returning customer, not just for the fantastic food but for the very welcoming and accommodating service too.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank penage4710
Ampthill, United Kingdom
“A nice venue with a lovely atmosphere”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Good food, honestly... and a nice venue where you can enjoy a drink in the bar room without hassle. I love thai food and found the dishes authentic and a varied choice.

• Visited February 2013
Bradford, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not authentic.”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My partner and I had just moved to Cleethorpes recently and are still getting to know what the place has to offer. We had just spent three weeks in Thailand in May and I am also of half Thai heritage and am very in tune to my background.

It was recently my birthday, and my parents and cousin visited so we thought we would give So Thai a go. My mother is fully Thai, as is my cousin who has only moved to England from Thailand about three months ago for a year of study, and my father is English.
From entering the restaurant we were greeted warmly by the extremely polite and friendly staff, who continued to serve us exceptionally throughout our meal. I understand that it was recently been refurbished, and the decor was nice but not Thai (the Buddhas were Indian and Burmese).
The food was very well cooked and you can tell that the chefs are talented and presentation was beautiful. But unfortunately as it is advertised as a Thai restaurant I expected authentic tastes and the food did not deliver this. When ordering food, the waiters should ask how spicy the dishes are wished to be had, as Thai dishes are notorious for their spicy nature. We asked for the dishes to be served for everyone on the table to share, as it is a massive tradition in Thai culture that all food is shared between all diners, but the waiter seemed confused at the request and had to check with the chefs if this was alright. I don't mind that he had to check, but it should be understood by all employees how Thai people dine traditionally - especially when you're running a Thai restaurant and Thai people come through the door!
As for the taste of the food, as I said they were well cooked, but sadly underseasoned and not spicy at all. I felt that the food was lacking in key ingredients, for instance the Tom Yum soup was lacking in both chilli and lemongrass. Thai food needs that kick, and if it was asked of us what level of spice we wanted I felt that this could have been avoided. I can understand that the food has been tweaked to suit European tastes more than sticking to what is authentic.

In conclusion, I think that this restaurant has built up a good reputation with the locals, is very polite and friendly and the food is cooked and presented to a high standard. It is just not Thai.

I wouldn't recommend this restaurant if someone is looking for a truely authentic Thai meal, but I can see it's appeal to people.

• Visited August 2013