“Not authentic.”
Review of So Thai - CLOSED

So Thai
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Multi award winning authentic Thai cuisine. Trading now for over 6 years with a very good reputation not only locally but from regular customers nationwide. So if you like to dine with a difference come along to So Thai and taste the wonders of Thai cuisine.
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My partner and I had just moved to Cleethorpes recently and are still getting to know what the place has to offer. We had just spent three weeks in Thailand in May and I am also of half Thai heritage and am very in tune to my background.

It was recently my birthday, and my parents and cousin visited so we thought we would give So Thai a go. My mother is fully Thai, as is my cousin who has only moved to England from Thailand about three months ago for a year of study, and my father is English.
From entering the restaurant we were greeted warmly by the extremely polite and friendly staff, who continued to serve us exceptionally throughout our meal. I understand that it was recently been refurbished, and the decor was nice but not Thai (the Buddhas were Indian and Burmese).
The food was very well cooked and you can tell that the chefs are talented and presentation was beautiful. But unfortunately as it is advertised as a Thai restaurant I expected authentic tastes and the food did not deliver this. When ordering food, the waiters should ask how spicy the dishes are wished to be had, as Thai dishes are notorious for their spicy nature. We asked for the dishes to be served for everyone on the table to share, as it is a massive tradition in Thai culture that all food is shared between all diners, but the waiter seemed confused at the request and had to check with the chefs if this was alright. I don't mind that he had to check, but it should be understood by all employees how Thai people dine traditionally - especially when you're running a Thai restaurant and Thai people come through the door!
As for the taste of the food, as I said they were well cooked, but sadly underseasoned and not spicy at all. I felt that the food was lacking in key ingredients, for instance the Tom Yum soup was lacking in both chilli and lemongrass. Thai food needs that kick, and if it was asked of us what level of spice we wanted I felt that this could have been avoided. I can understand that the food has been tweaked to suit European tastes more than sticking to what is authentic.

In conclusion, I think that this restaurant has built up a good reputation with the locals, is very polite and friendly and the food is cooked and presented to a high standard. It is just not Thai.

I wouldn't recommend this restaurant if someone is looking for a truely authentic Thai meal, but I can see it's appeal to people.

1  Thank 5William5

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Made a late enquiry for a table for five to celebrate my wife's birthday. I had heard good things about this restaurant and was keen to try. Fortunately, they managed to squeeze us in. Front of house service was excellent from the moment we arrived. Nice pre-dinner drinks in comfy bar upstairs. Downstairs, beautifully and tastefully presented tables and decor. Service was first rate, waiters attentive but not overbearing - food was fantastic and overall the evening was a great success. It's so long since we have been able to enjoy a Thai cuisine of this standard. I am happy to recommend So Thai to anyone, locals or visitors to Cleethorpes alike.
ขอบคุณ[มาก] (khop khun [mâak]) I think they say - Thank You!

1  Thank MoustachioedMole
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Whilst visiting Cleethorpes from Manchester and looking through trip advisor for good local places to eat, we found So Thai. We walked in on a Saturday night without booking a table. Lots of table were free but we were asked to go to the bar upstairs for a drink, which we didn't mind. The young girl on the bar was very nice and after being given the menu, there we choose our food. We waited 1/2 hour for a table to become free again not a big issue. When the starter came, which was a combination starter it was very nice and quite tasty. We then waited about another 20 mins for our main, again we didn't mind the wait as we were chatting. The main came it was ok but not as flavoursome as most of the Thai's I've been to. The flavour we felt was catered very much for the English palette. Overall good quality food and service. Just a few annoying customers who obviously wouldn't know manners if it hit them in the face.

1  Thank Debbs1972
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I visited cleethorpes for the day and looked at top rated restaurants I came across so thai placed 3rd, we went and had a look at the menu as I wanted to try thai but not pay to much as I wasn't sure if I would like it. On the menu (in the window for all to see) read 2-1 taster night Tuesdays. Fantastic I thought we can try two dishes instead of one in case we don't like one for a reasonable price. This made us decide to go in. We went in greeted by a lovely pleasant waiter, decor on chairs was lovely. We sat down within minutes we was given a menu my partner opened his to find the Tuesday offer was covered with a sticker. When I opened mine it wasn't. I said we best check else we will get stung. So my partner asked we was told the offer finished last week, it was no longer available. Confused we explained in the window it states its still on. He went away spoke to a colleague came back and said they couldn't do the offer but offered us a 10% discount off the bill for the "confusion" (false advertisement) which wasn't good enough as a few quid off the whole bill doesn't help if I'm lumped with a dish I don't like that could be from £8-£13 . We told them we wouldn't be staying and left after i advised them to take the offer off the menu out the window. Was rather disappointed from going for a thai that wasn't as advertised but had lovely fish and chips from the number 1 rated restaurant in cleethorpes. Fish was huge I took some home for my cat chips lovely couldn't fault them. I rated so thai as poor for the fact it was wrongly advertised, if my partner hadn't of noticed we could of ended up with a larger bill with food we didn't like/eat

1  Thank bulbrook
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This is definitely a must go to. The food is freshly made and the staff are just so helpful. We didn't really know what we fancied so the staff talked us through the menu with passion and made some great suggestions, they couldn't have been more helpful. On top of this the wine list is ally god and the prices are incredibly reasonable for the experience.