“Great meal”

The Captain's Table
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 30, 2014

As a long-time visitor to Steel's since childhood, I've found it disappointing on the last couple of visits. I moved away over 30 years ago but still love my fish & chips, and always crave them when I visit family! We have been here twice now and it has been great on both occasions. First time I went for the good old haddock and chips which was lovely, but today had smoked haddock and my husband had roast cod. Both were delicious and three of us paid a little over £50 including a bottle of wine and coffee, so good value too. It was a shame that it was not busy but we visited at 3pm - the town is severely lacking in restaurants and it deserves to do well. We will be back!

1  Thank ManchesterBabyGirl

Reviewed June 26, 2014

Really gutted with tonight's meal. I personally loved my starter of king prawns but the wife's 'king' scallops were quite underwhelming . Mains both looked good with both being Turbot. Only issue was one was full of bones. Bit off putting if felt but the staff dealt with it by discounting one of our puddings. This was where the fun really started, we both ordered a simple cheese board. My wife's looked good as we're mine was disappointing to say the least. My celery was anaemic, and my grapes were disgraceful. Well past the sell by date. After a small complaint, the waitresses kindly took it away and agreed not to charge me. Then they brought out a replacement cheese board which actually had equally as bad grapes!!! It may seem minor to people reading this, but you,didn't see the grapes!!! I have to say I have never in my life complained about a meal before , but to have to complain three times in one sitting is taking the biscuit. Felt very sorry for the waitresses . The cooks need to up their game somewhat for me to ever want to visit this place again. Other people looked they where having a good time so. One experience was hopefully a one off for this place.

2  Thank wallywaltona
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Very tasty fresh food. Quite expensive for day time with little atmosphere. On a positive quality- perhaps better in evening rather than mid afternoon when visited

Reviewed June 14, 2014

Booked in for an early Father's Day lunch, we were seated quite quickly and order taken, we were asked if we wanted bread and butter with meal, which we said yes. Food turned up soon enough but alas no bread and butter!. Food quality was ok but not fantastic. We then waited 15 mins after finishing for a waitress to actually ask if we wanted anything else, even though they had come down to other tables near us, only to pick up a couple of dirty glasses then disappear again. Another long wait for pudding to arrive we asked for bill, when ordering pudding, bill arrived a long time before the pudding did!. Will not be in a rush to go back!.

3  Thank Ahab1963
Reviewed June 5, 2014

What a great place to eat, I was on a day out with my Daughter and had just about lost hope of finding somewhere good to eat as everywhere seems to close around 16:00. One look at the menu was enough, what a choice, very pleasant staff, proper napkins on the tables. I chose the crab salad, it was so good, came with a side dish of new potatoes, neither myself or daughter are big potato fans, ate the lot between us. She had the cod and chips, said it was very good, it looked it too. My daughter had a fancy coffee and water, I had a pot of green tea, refilled on request, total bill just shy of £22, really good value, didn't have to wait long for food to arrive but as it was quiet and I think we were in the nick of time to get served. Have to try here again without doubt.

1  Thank Malcolm G
John H, Owner at The Captain's Table, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Many thanks for your kind review. We try to please everyone who comes to The Captain's Table. Just for your information, we open daily from 12 noon and serve food all day until 9pm Monday - Thursday, 9.15pm Friday & Saturday and 12 noon - 5pm Sunday. I think you must have had a quiet moment before the evening customers started to arrive, I hope the quiet atmosphere at that time didn't spoil anything for you.
Many thanks again.