“At last! Real Fish”

The Captain's Table
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 23, 2013

There are many fish restaurants in Grimsby/Cleethorpes and the traditional Fish and chips or fishcakes are in general excellent.

Sometimes however you need something more. Fish that isn't in batter or otherwise fried.
Luckily there is the Captain's table which has an excellent à la carte menu.

My wife and I (It was our wedding anniversary) enjoyed succulent King Prawns and Scallops as entrées and fine pieces of Halibut and Turbot as main meals. They were well presented and excellently cooked.

The service was friendly and efficient and the restaurant itself is simply decorated and agreeable to dine in.

We both recommend this fine Fish restaurant and look forward to dining again in the near future.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

The restaurant was nicely presented and the staff friendly,although no one greeted us on arrival.The food was disappointing.My wife had fish pie which came in a round dish filled with fish and sauce the pastry topping had been added and was not cooked as part of the pie it was cold dry and inedible the vegetables where undercooked and the potatoes had been reheated.My portion of fish and chips was not on the generous side and certainly nothing to compare with the portions in other Cleethorpes establishmentsThe peas were only warm and the chips were not tripple cooked as promised.We will not be returning

4  Thank Bernie R
Reviewed October 15, 2013

called in for our lunch with our daughter and grandson ,we hadn't booked but where shown to the rear of the premises to wait for a table , we ordered coffees and by the time they arrived our table was ready
We where shown to the table by a very pleasant young waitress ,the food was very good piping hot ,just the right amount without feeling to full, we where asked several times if food was ok ,as usual you couldn't fault anything . look forward to my next visit, yum yum .

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Having been before and been not that impressed, we thought we'd try it again for our wedding anniversary meal as we'd heard lots of really good reports from people. The restaurant was quite busy but we were swiftly seated, the table was wobbly but a beer mat soon sorted that problem! We had a bottle of the fizz, which was nice whilst we perused the menu, we both chose off the 'al a carte' menu. Now here is where the problems started, my husband starter was totally inedible, now I cook fish a lot at home and I buy from reputable fish mongers in the area so I know how it should look and taste-it was like a rubber band and had no flavour what so ever- I never ever complain in restaurants but I did it was so bad! My starter was ok but nothing 'al a carte' about it.
The main courses weren't much better, the monk fish was very dry(overlooked) and lacked flavour my lemon sole was suppose to be tempura batter but the batter looked exactly like the batter the guy was eating on the next table on his haddock and chips although it was nice! As we said to the waitress the service throughout was good and they couldn't be faulted-it was the food which let it down.
Would we return-never! £60 for a memorable meal, for all the wrong reasons!

Reviewed October 1, 2013

We have eaten at The Captains Table at lunch time, and never been disappointed. Last night we went early evening. The staff as usual were bright, friendly, and professional. Small tea lights were lit at all the tables, not just those in use, pleasant music playing, and when the lights were dimmed during the evening, the room looked very attractive indeed. The fish, as ever, was top notch. Two had the main menu haddock, and one chose Dover Sole -all delicious and superbly cooked. Puddings were a surprise! - presentation was thoughtful, taste was excellent. We think The Captains Table is much better than many 'Good Food Guide' recommended restaurants. The menu description exactly fits the food you are served - a rare thing these days !!