“So nice, we haven't bothered with any other chippies”

Steels CornerHouse Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 147 Restaurants in Cleethorpes
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2013

All I can do is concur with all the other positive reviews-excellent fish and chips, tick! Friendly staff, tick! Reasonably priced, tick! If these are your criteria, look no further than Steels.

1  Thank bex_09Manchester

Reviewed May 28, 2013

As an ex resident of Cleethorpes it was good to get back to Steel's this weekend. Decor hasn't changed a bit (still circa 1950's, even down the Rediffusion speakers in the corners!), but don't be disheartened, because the other thing that's stayed the same is the quality of the fish (haddock of course, only tourists ask for cod). Nice to see that skate and plaice are also served as well as a variety on non-fish dishes. But you go to Steel's for the fish and the quality was excellent, all served with bread and butter and a pot of tea. What was nice is that they offered gluten free dishes with no fuss or bother, and my sister pronounced the gluten free batter superb! The waitresses also hearken back to a more civilised time, tidy and efficient. Long may it reign!

3  Thank Martin T
Reviewed May 24, 2013

A traditional fish tea restaurant but with other non fish dishes. The fish and chip tea is real fresh wet fresh, tasty and good in quantity as well. The service is really good and homely. We have been several times before but this is the first time I have done a review. I should have done it previously.

1  Thank P2APD
SteelsOwner, Owner at Steels CornerHouse Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Thank you very much for your kind words and for taking the time to write your review. Always a pleasure when our regular customers make the effort to comment. See you soon !

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Steel's is an institution in Cleethorpes renowned for the best quality and portion size. And I and family have been going there for half a century. I don't know whether it is the pressure of 2 new fish bars recently opening near by, but in the last few months things have not been what they were at Steel's, especially upstairs with its separate kitchen. Smaller portions, soggy chips and overcooked fish. Tonight was very disappointing.
Better buck up performance quickly, as there are plenty of other fish in the Ocean.

SteelsOwner, Owner at Steels CornerHouse Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Hi. Thanks for taking the time to review our restaurant, the feedback is very important to us. I'm not aware of any problems lately but I will discuss your concerns with our staff. May I re-assure you that we have made no alterations and in particular have not changed portion sizes for many years. If I could also point out, the upstairs kitchen is only in use for Bank Holidays and is simply a waitress station at all other times. That said I'm really disappointed you felt we didn't meet our own high standards. I promise that we will keep trying !

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Don't you just hate it when you cut into your piece of fish and out poors a load of water? That's exactly what I didn't expect from Steels, but is exactly what I got. It's becoming the same everywhere.

Hi. Thanks for taking the time to review our restaurant, it means a lot to us and provides invaluable feedback. Wherever possible we will source and serve FRESH haddock. There are times when this is not possible and only frozen fish is available, this is the main reason we are closed at Christmas. However this only occurs around 3-4 times per year and I must point out that this has not happened at all in May and categorically not on the 22nd May. I'm sorry that you didn't feel your meal was up to standard but I would like to re-assure you that the haddock on that day was NOT frozen. Best Wishes.