“Good food....poor service!”

The Dovedale Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #68 of 140 Restaurants in Cleethorpes
Cuisines: British, Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cleethorpes
“Good food....poor service!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

The two of us had booked at table for 8pm on a Saturday evening. We arrived about 7.40 and thought we'd have a drink outside in the front patio area. 8 O'Clock came and went, and eventually my wife asked for a menu. We were eventually shown a table at 8.30.
(We'd both ordered steaks and antipasti for starters. )
8.40 came and no starters had arrived. We asked if they were on there way, and were told there was a kitchen holdup as they were so busy! No waitress at any time told us this, up till the point we asked!
At 8.45, the steaks arrived (THEY HAD COMPLETELY FORGOT THE STARTERS!) I was going to send the steaks back, but as my wife was to hungry to wait any longer, so we kept the steaks, and said "Forget the starters".
We weren't offered a wine list, until we asked for one! At one point my wife asked for something from a waitress, & the waitress gave a slightly condescending "yes - yes" as she walked away.
The steaks them selves, were excellent - very enjoyable. The hand cut chips, were nice but both thought they could have been in the frier a little longer. The salad was also nice, but a bit more of it would have been welcome!
The restaurant is low light, with candles on the tables. An ideal place for a romantic meal for a couple...... but the background music was rock! and sometimes heavy rock! Totally inappropriate.
We brought up all the points above at the end of the evening with one of the waitresses. She was very nice, and apologetic. I assume she'll pass the points on to management.
It was out first visit in over two years, and to be truthful we expected a higher level of service rather than what we got, which was at times was incompetence !

• Visited August 2013

Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
“Excellent meal with a friend shame about the service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

I recently enjoyed a lunch time meal out with a friend. Menu was varied and the food was delicious. The steak was one of the tastiest I have eaten in a while. Decor is delighful and creates a lovely ambience to dine in. The only critisism we could make is the service from our waitress. She was not impolite but she certainly was not friendly. She barely smiled and was walking round the dining room chewing gum which I cannot abide! It was only at the end of our meal that she checked if everything was ok, never asked us if we wanted desserts or coffee when she cleared our main course plates away. I have just returned from the USA and our hospitality trade has certainly a lot to learn! It will be a shame if this resturant suffers from their staff offering a poor service.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Jennifer W
Wrexham
“Fairly Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

This was recommended to us so we had high expectations. Unfortunately it did not live up to its recommendation.
There is nothing basically wrong with the place, the food is fairly average with nothing to really make it stand out. The service was ok, if a little slow. The waiter was polite though.

I had the prawns to start and they were a little over cooked and so a bit rubbery and for king prawns they were a little small. The steak burger i had as a main course was really just a beefburger - I was expecting a little more!
The cheesecake for dessert was very nice.
The main drawback is that it was very pricey for the standard of food.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank aaedwa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a rip off!!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I ordered a seafood platter,lobster,crab,mussels and prawns and I had to order it 48hrs prior to booking. It was advertised as local lobster, whole crab prawns and mussels with salad and lemon wedges min 2 sharing for £27.50. When we paid the bill we were charged £27.50 EACH! The total bill came to £72.00 with no starter or dessert! What a total rip off! To top it all off after I was home within 2hrs I was sick all over bathroom and up at three in the morning with very bad diarrhoea! I had to go to the hospital Sunday and missed a days pay at work. After I made a complaint the only response from the Dovedale was a phone call to say you are not getting your money back! That's customer service for you! Treated very very badly!!! Not recommended.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Jeanette G
Lincolnshire
“Absolute crap!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Went here last year for someone's leaving party from my husbands' office. For a start, make sure you have something to eat at home first. I opted for the scallops to begin which arrived on a huge plate with 3, yes 3 scallops arranged in a triangle - which wouldn't have looked so bad if there had been a garnish .... or, something! but no, just three lonely little scallops. For the main course I had some sort of fish risotto - I think there was fish in it anyway - wasn't sure by the taste. I'm not sure who their Chef is but he definitely needs re-training or even some basic training might be nice. So in a word to sum up my review ..... "avoid" !

• Visited September 2012