“Excellent meal with a friend shame about the service”

The Dovedale Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #47 of 148 Restaurants in Cleethorpes
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I recently enjoyed a lunch time meal out with a friend. Menu was varied and the food was delicious. The steak was one of the tastiest I have eaten in a while. Decor is delighful and creates a lovely ambience to dine in. The only critisism we could make is the service from our waitress. She was not impolite but she certainly was not friendly. She barely smiled and was walking round the dining room chewing gum which I cannot abide! It was only at the end of our meal that she checked if everything was ok, never asked us if we wanted desserts or coffee when she cleared our main course plates away. I have just returned from the USA and our hospitality trade has certainly a lot to learn! It will be a shame if this resturant suffers from their staff offering a poor service.

1  Thank Jennifer W

Reviewed July 5, 2013

This was recommended to us so we had high expectations. Unfortunately it did not live up to its recommendation.
There is nothing basically wrong with the place, the food is fairly average with nothing to really make it stand out. The service was ok, if a little slow. The waiter was polite though.

I had the prawns to start and they were a little over cooked and so a bit rubbery and for king prawns they were a little small. The steak burger i had as a main course was really just a beefburger - I was expecting a little more!
The cheesecake for dessert was very nice.
The main drawback is that it was very pricey for the standard of food.

1  Thank aaedwa
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I ordered a seafood platter,lobster,crab,mussels and prawns and I had to order it 48hrs prior to booking. It was advertised as local lobster, whole crab prawns and mussels with salad and lemon wedges min 2 sharing for £27.50. When we paid the bill we were charged £27.50 EACH! The total bill came to £72.00 with no starter or dessert! What a total rip off! To top it all off after I was home within 2hrs I was sick all over bathroom and up at three in the morning with very bad diarrhoea! I had to go to the hospital Sunday and missed a days pay at work. After I made a complaint the only response from the Dovedale was a phone call to say you are not getting your money back! That's customer service for you! Treated very very badly!!! Not recommended.

1  Thank Jeanette G
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Went here last year for someone's leaving party from my husbands' office. For a start, make sure you have something to eat at home first. I opted for the scallops to begin which arrived on a huge plate with 3, yes 3 scallops arranged in a triangle - which wouldn't have looked so bad if there had been a garnish .... or, something! but no, just three lonely little scallops. For the main course I had some sort of fish risotto - I think there was fish in it anyway - wasn't sure by the taste. I'm not sure who their Chef is but he definitely needs re-training or even some basic training might be nice. So in a word to sum up my review ..... "avoid" !

1  Thank Ann S
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

I am writing this review for the restaurant as I did not visit the hotel.

Walked passed here by accident and decided to stop for a drink when having a wander around the area. It has a lovely seating area outside that I can imagine gets very busy in the height of summer.

Drinks were not cheap, however were not over priced and the young gentleman on the bar and reception was very friendly and helpful. Some other customers were having afternoon tea and that looked divine.

I would definitely visit again if I return to the area.