“Business Lunch”

Dining options: Reservations
Sheffield (UK)
“Business Lunch”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I've been here a few times over the years for lunch with clients and have to say that the meal quality has got worse.
I thought it was worth a try once more, but sorry to say that I will not use the restaurant again.
I must add that the prices are far too expensive.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Daveeboy007

Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
“Over priced canteen food”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Went here with a very dear friend of mine, we were seated in the grill which was like a works canteen, the noise from people talking was unbearable, the menu was terrible, choice of 5 starters, 5 main, 4 desserts, we choice a rib eye steak (which was £6.50 supplement on top of the 1 course charge of £16.00) so cost us £22.50 each. When the steak came it was no larger than 5oz and very thin, the plate looked empty it had 5 chips on it, and they filled the rest of the plate with rocket. there wasn't any vegetable, no mushrooms, no grilled tomato, which i expect with a steak, even at the local pub which is 2 for a £10 you get them. We went home hungry, very very poor quality steak, a glass of wine £5.50 and not the best, i certainly will not be going back, this place looks the part but doesn't come up with the goods. my advise would be stay away, very very poor

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank lindacookson
Bury, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Overpriced and Mediocre”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Had 2 meals there now and disappointed with both. The quality of the food and service doesnt match the price and theres a 300% mark-up on a bottle of wine. The waiters werent very attentive either. I wouldnt recommend it

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Disappointed19622013
lincolnshire
“Romantic night away celebrate anniversary”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

While I enjoyed my meal my husbands was very bad never have I seen steak like that was soo fatty and other diners also complained when we complained we was told that w
They were aware of the companints so now is the time to sort it out either employ a new chef or buy in better quality food

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank angela d
Broughton, United Kingdom
“Faulty Towers at Forest Pines Main Restaurent (not the Grill)”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I took my wife yesterday on her Birthday to the 1829 Restaurant at Forest Pines Hotel in Broughton N.Lincs. I am a Broughton resident and ex-mayor who had been proud of this place and has used it off and on since it was opened as Briggate Lodge long before golfing there. I held my daughter`s wedding there and even enjoyed a twelve person mayoral meal there with all of the local district mayors coming and was very proud of the place. I had an expensive party there a few years back for my son

Yesterday I had disappointing meal and as there was a new menu thought I ought to point this out. The following reaction of the Manager, an oriental looking gentleman, caused a heated discussion that left my wife nearly in tears and finished off all good thoughts on her Birthday.
His attitude was, that not only was I wrong, according to him, his chef and business advisors but also any others of the public who thought similarly would also be wrong. When I pointed out that the reason I complained was to avoid him misleading other members of the public to continue the good name of the hotel he said that it would be their error not his.
If they approve of current idea of aggressive self-righteous management, they will be losing a good few customers, as they have lost me.

The argument:
The menu listed a “Broth of Salmon, Lobster, mussels, cockles and some sweet greens. To me, a broth is a soup, thickened and fortified to make a main meal.
I was expecting a nice seafood soup of shellfish and salmon with that lovely taste of Lobster. Maybe not a Lobster Bisque but at least a bowl full of tangy fish soup.

The Oxford Dictionary states “soup consisting of meat or vegetables cooked in stock, sometimes thickened with barley or other cereals:”

I twice heard the serving staff refer to the dish as Salmon and even got one of them to check with the kitchen that I was indeed getting Salmon, Lobster and shell fish soup, and not just a dish of salmon. They actually confirmed this, so I ordered some bread to go with my soup.

They then served a dish of a large piece of salmon garnished with three tiny mussels, maybe two cockles and four tiny reddish chewy bits splashed over with a clear liquid which barely covered the plate bottom and two tablespoons of boiled cabbage. This was accompanied by a dish of vegetables.

After I pointed out the mistake, the Manager appeared and told me that this was broth and that they had not stated that Lobster was in it ?? He went to consult the chef and returning then confirmed that:
• It was broth
• It had Lobster in it.
• My expectations on assuming I was getting a bowl of fortified soup was wrong
• The modern culinary world determined the meaning of broth, not me or the public

When I told him he was wrong and that if twelve other diners came forward, they would expect the same as me, his response was that they would all be wrong because of their old fashioned attitude and it was the ingredients that defined what a broth was. At that point he produced a mobile phone with a picture of a steaming bowl of broth and started quoting ingredients.
I pointed at the picture and asked him why I didn’t have a bowl of soup like that or even any bowl of liquid at all?.
He stated that he would not charge me for the piece of fish that he called broth and I told him that this was not the point. People being disappointed was the point!. He would not back down or back off and just left. I did not bother to mention that people ordering the soup did not expect such eye watering amounts of black pepper without due warning. The dismal chips were just left on the plate. My wife’s steak was nice and the sweets were nice. The carafe of Rioja was lovely. But would I pay £69 anywhere for this experience?
No I don`t think so!
We finished our main course, had a sweet, left with a bill reduced by £10 and my wife nearly in tears. And I of course am the cause of it all.
Surprisingly, one of the young staff was concerned and I explained it again to her and watched her look of disbelief.
If I had been on my own, this altercation with this limited Manager would even have taken on the crazy chef who reinforced him. When is a broth not a broth?? When is the customer always right?

However it spoilt the rest of my wife`s birthday and nearly had her in tears.
I object to that!.