“Nice food but didn't rate the room”

Toft Country House Hotel And Golf Club
Ranked #2 of 5 Bourne B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 27, 2014

I am afraid we had a pretty bad night at this hotel. When we got there we could see the place was pretty full and that a wedding was in full swing but hotels have this sort of function on all the time, so we weren't too concerned that it would impact on our stay.

The receptionist was very pleasant and he actually took us to our room, which is something I have never experienced before, even at 5* hotels. Unfortunately, when we opened the door, we were presented with a shoe box. The door didn't open fully as their was a suitcase rack just behind it and the toilet was immediately opposite, so we were greeted with a full view of porcelain. A very tight turn to the left and we entered the bedroom which ONLY JUST fitted a double bed in it. I say double, it was two singles shoved together and the most enormous, hideous headboard perched precariously behind it. Upon inspection, this HAD been screwed to the wall, but was coming away from it, rawl plugs and screws hanging sadly against the 'retro' wood chip wall paper.

We had to shuffle around the TV, which was mounted on the wall just to get to the window, which was unfortunately overlooking the car park, with the kitchen extractor fan immediately beneath, and refrigeration units just next to them. The noise from both of these was unbelievable. As weary bikers who had traveled over a hundred miles to get there, we should have just been able to sleep through it but it sounded like a Jumbo jet.

We both really needed a bath too, and so we called reception to complain and ask to be moved as there was no bath, only to be told that they had no other rooms available and that there was a communal bathroom along the hall.... !!!

I investigated this and walked about 30yards down the hall to discover a very worn out and faded 70's style avocado suit with used towels laying in it and used soaps and toiletries scattered about. I ran the bath, which only achieved tepid water and failed to get the relaxing bath I really needed after a long ride. I took great delight marching back down the hallway in my towel hoping to offend some other guests to make a point.

We went down to get some dinner and I cannot fault either the service or the food. All exceptionally good. We sat on the terrace for a while after and had a drink before retiring at a little after 11pm. The party was in full swing at the wedding and yet we couldn't hear the music over the noise of the extractor and fridges as previously mentioned. As my partner said, we would have achieved a better night's sleep had we chosen to sleep on the golf course in our leathers...

General points: The rooms are very 'tired'. Decor is poor and paper is peeling off the walls, carpets are grubby and badly fitted. There are exposed sections of conduit everywhere and the light fitting in our room looked plain dangerous with wires and connectors exposed and visible.

The staff are all English, young, pleasant, polite and efficient - although I did hear someone in the kitchen being very rude about one couple at breakfast whilst I was getting some juice. Not very professional.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend staying here (especially room 8!) although I do rate the restaurant and bar area. Definitely in need of a refurb...

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room away from the kitchen. DEFO NOT ROOM 8 or 10!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
ToftManagement, Owner at Toft Country House Hotel And Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

I am sorry that you did not have a good night’s sleep, I did personally apologize to you when you complained on check out and I did compensate you, and I can only apologize once again. However I do find your other comments quite unfair. Your booking was made last minute on a Saturday for that night. On the booking you did not state you would have liked a bath. The only room left at that point did only have a shower, if it was important to you if you had of mentioned it on booking we could have notified you to let you know there wasn't a bath so you would have had a chance to make alternative arrangements. As you did mention we were unable to move you to a room with a bath as all our other rooms were already checked into. The communal bathroom is rarely used as all our rooms are en Suite, it was only suggested to you as the only solution for you to get a bath, and we were only trying to do our best about your complaint. I am sorry that the last person to use it did not leave it tidy. On reading this review I have been to have a look at the room and I have to say there are no wires showing in the light fittings and I was horrified to see that you said there was as this is dangerous, you can easily walk around the TV, the carpet was new last year and is certainly is not grubby, all our double rooms have king size beds, but can be split into singles to make a twin, they are zip and link beds with a good mattress protector on them and I have never had a complaint about them before and this is what a lot if hotels do. Yes I won’t say that you cannot hear the fans but the comment of them being like a jumbo jet is exaggerated. We will take on board any constructive criticism from your review as we do all our reviews.

Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on business with a group of 12 people. We wanted to eat outside, the staff were really happy to accommodate, despite meaning more work for them. The food was excellent, and the staff were efficient, good humoured, and friendly.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
ToftManagement, Owner at Toft Country House Hotel And Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

Thank you for your feedback, it is appreciated. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your return in the future.

Reviewed July 15, 2014

Stayed at the hotel for the last 2 nights for business with colleagues. The staff were very friendly and efficient. The food was lovely. The rooms are very dated, however i would go back due it's location to work, nice food and lovely staff.

Room Tip: A room outside the main hotel is better. Two colleagues on separate visits have said the bedroom win...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments. Hopefully see you again soon.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

We spent 2 nights at the hotel and was pleased with our stay. The grounds are very well kept and relaxing. We stayed in a room in the converted barn and the room was very dark, dated and claustrophobic but I opened the windows and managed to sleep OK. The beds are huge and very comfortable. The breakfast on both mornings were very very good. We ate on the second evening and the food was faultless, the wine is not badly priced and the restaurant decor is pleasant. Some of the staff werent very friendly and seemed unhappy with their jobs, need lessons on how the smile more. Overall we had an enjoyable visit and would go again, in fact I recommended it to someone yesterday

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback, hopefully see you again soon.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Staff really nice, friendly and helpful. Outside of hotel looks lovely. Garden is lovely and quiet. Good car park. Hotel seems clean and organised. Sorry to say the rooms in the converted barn are very dated, dark and drab! Woodchip on the walls, what looks like a 30 year old beige bathroom suite, noisy plumbing and a shower that at one point lost it's pressure mid wash! Dated, tired patterned carpet, headboard, pillow covers and curtains. Darkness of the room not helped with dark furniture and internal doors. Some areas in need of a lick of paint. (However duvet cover was clean and white). A plug socket directly above the middle of the headboard?! And various dirty pull cords for the lights hanging over headboard. Thought this kind of décor no longer existed! Not what you would expect of a hotel now we are in 2014! Sorry to say the rooms in the barn are somewhat depressing. However from what I could see it was clean, the room was very large and the bed a Queen Size I think. I believe the rooms in the main part of the hotel are much better. I really hope the Toft do some refurbishment in these rooms soon!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main part of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback, sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay. We are constantly updating/decorating the rooms as soon as we can, and sorry that it wasn't to your liking.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

Spent two nights at the hotel. Staff pleasant and knowledgeable. My room was small but well equipped and quiet, despite overlooking the beer garden. The restaurant was excellent and service good. Car parking is convenient, on site and secure. A definite revisit when in the area

Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank AubreyP695

Thank you for your review. Pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. See you again soon hopefully!

Reviewed June 22, 2014

We only stayed for two nights and had a three-course meal there on the first night. We stayed in one of the outdoor lodges. The accommodation was superb - a huge and very comfortable bed and a huge TV set. Our deal even included a bottle of bubbly which we consumed between us before going to dinner. Food was excellent - well cooked and well presented. Staff were great and very helpful, especially Frank who 'came to our rescue' when the TV remote refused to work. The location was ideal for our trips to Gainsborough and Boston. Can't fault the hotel at all. Would like to go there again if we visit Lincolnshire again.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback, pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bourne
7 mi away
The Angel Hotel
#4 of 5 in Bourne
4 mi away
The Wishing Well Inn

Been to Toft Country House Hotel And Golf Club? Share your experiences!