“The Toft just gets better ...” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Toft Country House Hotel And Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 4 Bourne B&B and Inns
Guernsey, Channel Isles
“The Toft just gets better ...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Four of us have just spent our sixth stay at the Toft for four nights, for the Burghley Horse Trials . The hotel gets better each year thanks to the warm welcome from the whole team. Attention to detail is high on their list of priorities. The hotel is in a lovely location, the rooms are comfortable and clean. We enjoy the ambiance of the bar where we dine each evening and the food is excellent. We have already booked for 2014.
Thanks guys.
The Burghley Girls

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ToftManagement, Owner at Toft Country House Hotel And Golf Club, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Thanks girls, always lovely to have you stay with us over Burghley weekend. See you in September.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

I love, love, love this place. From the minute we arrived we were made welcome by the excellent staff. The service - excellent! The meals - excellent! The rooms - excellent! The atmosphere - excellent! Would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Great review, thank you so happy you enjoyed your stay.
Lauder, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

I've stayed at The Toft for a number of years over the 5 days of The Burghley Horse Trials. I simply can't imagine staying anywhere else.
The hotel is family owned & this, I believe is the key to its success. All of the staff are delightful, helpful & approachable. It makes a huge difference & you feel you really are being looked after.
The food is sensational. Choosing to eat either in the bar or the formal dining room is your choice & I cannot praise the quality highly enough. Breakfast is substantial with a superb choice of hot & traditional dishes. Plentiful hot toast & tea/coffee is happily topped up if required.
The rooms are very clean & comfortable - hair dryer/iron/ironing boards/tea/coffee/hot choc/ bottled water in rooms along with helpful local information. I've only stayed in the rooms outside in the courtyard but have no doubt the rooms inside are as good.
There is a delightful outside area to sit & enjoy a drink or dinner in good weather but helpfully there is a residents lounge indoors.
Overall I can't praise the hotel enough. Nothing is too much trouble & I look forward to "fix" every year!

Room Tip: Look at a room in the beautiful courtyard.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jane T
Thank you for your review and taking the time to write it. It is always so important to us to get repeat business. See you again in September.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Recently had a 2 night stay for a wedding we attended on Saturday.

This is a pleasant 3 star hotel in the middle of the countryside opposite a golf course. Lovely laid back surroundings/grounds, free car park, and friendly staff.

We were greeted and were checked in straight away, given our key to room 5. A spacious room, which a huge bed and views of the main road and golf course opposite. The décor was old fashioned which gave the whole feel of being in the countryside- but could do with some tlc as there were stains on the wood. The bathroom was clean. The only thing I will complain about the bathroom was the shower door /screen had green/yellow stuff, the tap on the bathroom was a struggle for me to turn down as it was stiff, the temp was on 34 which was way too hot. Had to get my husband to turn it for me. Also there were cob web and bugs near the window which could have been cleaned away (main bedroom window)

We had clean towels throughout our stay even though we used the first towels for 2 nights.

Even though our room was facing the main road (not that busy) and golf course, this did not disturb the best night sleep in a long time. So peaceful even though we had the window open as the room was warm.

Friday was my hubby’s birthday and decided to eat at the bar/pub area. Loved the décor. We ordered soup of the day with bread, plus fish cakes with salad and sauce for starters. For mains both had steak, with vegetables, and potato/chips with a huge haloumi salad. For desert we had sticky toffee pudding with ice cream and crème Brule, 3 drinks, coffee all for around £90, which was fantastic. In London that would have been easy £30-50 more. The staff were happy to place a surprise candle on my husbands dessert. That was good of them.

Breakkie was pleasant, simple but nice.

Overall the hotel is nice for a 3 star, we had a nice stay in open fresh air atmosphere. In the evenings was nice to sit on the porch on the bench, or the other outside sitting area (nice during the day as well)

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank ChryssoG
ToftManagement, Manager at Toft Country House Hotel And Golf Club, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for the review. Pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Isleworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in the hotel twice now for business purposes. I found the food and service very good.
The staff were really helpfully when I also had lunch with a large party of business guests. Will stay there again when in area, so I think that tells you what I think of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. Pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Epping, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

I left a review for the Toft Country House Hotel a year or so ago, and praised the room but was disappointed with the food. This review, after my second visit, it the exact opposite! The food was incredible. I opted for the smoked duck salad, and I can't recommend it enough. It's a really comfy bar area too, so don't be disappointed if you don't get to sit in the restaurant area.
But this time I was allocated a room in the main house rather than in the courtyard, and I really wish I hadn't. I was in room 1, the door of which meets the door of room 2 at a narrow angle, so god only knows what would happen if you both decide to leave your rooms at the same time. The room was decorated nicely, in keeping with the country style, which was nice. But the noise in that room was ridiculous. The window overlooks the beer garden where everyone is smoking and chatting, you can overhear absolutely everything taking place in the bar, on the stairs, in the room next door and across the landing. And to top it all, the noise from the plumbing and the ventilation systems was unbearable, not just in my own room but from the adjacent room as well. I ordinarily would have asked for an alternative room, but I was already in bed, settled and unpacked, and quite frankly the last thing I wanted to do was to get up, pack, get dressed and go elsewhere. I woke up feeling unrested and grouchy. Then in the morning I found that the shower head fitting was broken, so I couldn't have a decent shower either.
This is for the most part a nice hotel, but should I ever go there again I would have to insist on a courtyard room as I honestly don't think I could bear another night like that.

Room Tip: As explained in the review, ask for a courtyard room. Not one in the main house.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Essex-couple-1
Thank you for your review and you feedback. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the food, but I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with your room. There was actually a problem with the pipes in that room which have now been fixed, but we weren't aware of it until a custom let us know. So I'm sorry that this kept you awake. We would have gladly moved you to a different room, but I understand that you didn't want to do this. I do hope that you will return to Toft again.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

We are in the middle of a lovely stay here at toft country hotel and I have been really impressed with the staff and service. The meal we have just had was excellent and the staff have been helpful and nothing has been too much trouble. the food was excellent and the location is perfect for sightseeing away from the crowds. I booked the restaurant two days ago and had the best table in the room with a wonderful view.
The bed room is large with everything you could want. We arrived early and the room was ready. We will definitely be back here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. Hopefully see you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bourne
The George Of Stamford
The Crown Hotel Stamford
Barnsdale Hall Hotel
Barnsdale Hall Hotel
#2 of 2 in Barnsdale

Been to Toft Country House Hotel And Golf Club? Share your experiences!