“Great pub room if a little expensive”
Review of The Star Inn 1744

The Star Inn 1744
Ranked #1 of 1 Thrussington B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We stayed at The Star Inn as the location was very convenient for us and we enjoyed our stay there. The room was clean and modern with a few complimentary products in the bathroom and a nice touch of some cake in a small jar with the tea/coffee. The staff were extremely pleasant and the continental breakfast was very good with plenty of coffee, juice,cereal, croissants and lovely bread for toasting. We would stay again if in the area and would be happy to recommend it. It looks just like the pictures on the website.

A couple of small niggles but nothing to put us off. We think £86 for a room in a country pub is top rate and should therefore include a cooked breakfast as standard. Also, a couple of small water bottles should be provided in the bedroom. Otherwise it was great.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
TheStarInn_1744, Owner at The Star Inn 1744, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2014

Dear Lynne,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at The Star Inn 1744

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the village surroundings.

We do now indeed have a new addition of a Ground Floor Ensuite Bedroom which we would recommend if you were to visit us again. As we are such an old building there are different levels though we have provided handrails throughout it can sometimes still be a little much for some guests. Our new Ground Floor room has a Shower, Bath with shower and plenty of room to move around with level floors.
Apologies for the lack of soap in your room, this was indeed an over-site as it its usually supplied along with shampoo and body wash. We're glad you enjoyed the home-made biscuits!

We're pleased you enjoyed your dinner. All of our dishes are cooked from fresh so this can mean the wait is a little longer for your meal however I agree that 45 minutes is too long even for a busy night.
We do offer a Classics Menu Monday-Saturday which has some more traditional pub favourites which may take your fancy next time you stop by. All of our menus and prices can be viewed on our website.

We hope to see you again if you are in the area

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Stayed at the star inn on March 22, 2014. This was a very late booking so pleased we could get some where to stay and had good reviews. It is a lovely inn without doubt, the history, decor, the staff very helpful, the food, (particularly with my Gluten Free requirements) location etc. Its not cheap there but not ridiculously expensive either.

We have one complaint really, and we think its bordering unfair that the owners do not advise you that when they say, breakfast included, its not a cooked one, but continental.

If the owners wish to do this, they should have the decency to say this on the time of booking, and not when you sit down for breakfast. It just isn't correct to do this way.

For such a lovely place, its a shame.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We visited here as a over night stop, for a chill out evening then shopping in Leicester. I choose this b & b because it has had very good reviews, this is my honest review, so will help anyone who is thinking of going here.
The Star Inn 1744 has been decorated to a high standard, set in a lovely location in a quant little village of Thrussington. My first tip would be parking, the pub only has about 3 parking spaces to one side, if you arrive at a quiet time, you may get a space, if not then your have to find one around the small green area where the pub is situated, don't think this would be an issue unless it's at a busy time.
When you first arrive you will make your way into the pub & enter the small bar area, there isn't anywhere specific to go if your staying, but speak to someone behind the bar, they will sort you out. Now I booked a kingsize room, I was shown my way up and was impressed with the room, but was told my bathroom was across the way , so separate .... To our room? This was not mentioned in the advert when booking, so I went back down & was then moved to room 3, this was also a impressive room but had the ensuite bathroom, which you should have if your paying £86 a night. Now my only little niggle about the room was what you had in it to drink I would expect more for the high price than a couple tea bags & coffee sticks, no biscuits or other drinks, this would have made our visit much more enjoyable.
We were there on a Wednesday night , so had the 2 steaks for £24 the food was very tasty, pricey for any extras but that's how pubs make there money.
My last tip.... When you book, your told you get Breakfast Included ... Well you get a Continental Breakfast! I was surprised that for £86 if you want a full English you will have to pay £7 each more.? I have read other peoples reviews & the replies from The Star Inn 1744 management... I myself feel let down by the quality & quantity on offer for a expensive priced b & b , whatever the management say a bowl of cereal, yogurt & toast is not a hearty breakfast and to receive a nice English breakfast your asked to part with more money! On our visit, there was only 1 pain da chocolate left, I had to ask if we could have more .... The lady was very friendly but I felt this part of the visit a let down, also while we were sitting attempting to enjoy our quiet breakfast about 3 members of staff arrived and kept walking in & out of the kitchen area through a door which is right next to The Green Room Breakfast Room .... They had no concern for us & were talking loudly about issues with the gas and had the cooker been working... Ok a business must sort issues but I didn't feel the staff , some which looked like they may have been higher management talked at high volume. If I owned this establishment my primary concern would be the people that are staying... I'd make there stay so memorable they would promote the place and would revisit, they current owners have done a great job on making it look posh but the personal touch is missing :-(
So overall a great place but attention to detail is missing & this is letting them down.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KUZZY72
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We stayed at the Star inn on Sunday 9th February 2014 , after having one of the best Sunday lunches and enjoying the company of others, we decided to stay the night , the staff are friendly ,polite, and very accommodating , the room was excellent , very high standard, warm ,clean , We highly recommend this beautiful county Inn :)

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
TheStarInn_1744, Owner at The Star Inn 1744, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Hi Supergirl1234,

We're so pleased that you had a great evening with us and decided to extend by staying!

Thanks for taking time to post a review. It is always very much appreciated

We hope to see you again very soon

Reviewed February 2, 2014

I booked this pub via their website and clicked send before I had submitted my request. Had a prompt reply hrs later via email at midnight which I picked up the next day (today) en-route to the area and my booking was confirmed for 5pm. Arrived early and was seated straightaway. Lovely food and atmosphere, my little girl 3.5yrs was made very welcome and had lots of attention from the waitresses! Very thoughtful and brought her meal with our starters. We weren't rushed at all and all had lovely meals, all roast dinners - reasonably priced (surprisingly) for such quality and stylish surroundings. We will definitely be back as a half way point to meet with the In laws. All in all a great find and serve all day on a Sunday.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Dear Nickydesign,

Thanks very much for taking time to write about your experience at The Star and that you and your family had a nice time

All your lovely comments about the waitresses and food have been passed on. We're always so pleased to hear peoples comments

We look forward to seeing you all again very soon!

Best regards

Reviewed January 19, 2014

I stayed at the Star on Saturday 18th January with two friends after a trip to Ragdale Hall Spa. Booking was easy with prompt replies to my emails. The location is charming, on one side of the village green, and the pub looked so inviting when we pulled up. Inside, the bar has been beautifully refurbished and the atmosphere was welcoming. We were pointed in the direction of our rooms to drop our bags off and they were as lovely as the bar with lots of attention to detail. We went back down to the bar and settled down for a couple of glasses of wine. There were people having meals and others having a drink but we were able to get a table and get served quickly and everyone in the pub was good-natured. We heard no bad language and the regulars were friendly. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms were quiet. We opted for the continental breakfast in the morning which was plentiful and tasty with particularly nice coffee. All of the staff went out of their way to be helpful and friendly throughout and I would recommend staying at the Star to anyone. I hope to be back.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Mandy,

Thanks for writing this lovely review about your stay with us at The Star

We're very pleased that we offered a nice relaxing surrounding to follow your spa break and that our staff were attentive and you enjoyed our pub atmosphere

We hope to see you again in the future

Reviewed January 6, 2014

We recently visited for a family party and were initially impressed by the smart surroundings, albeit without any open fires to warm the place up. We gathered for drinks before taking our table which was slightly too small for the size of the party, which meant one guest spent their whole time balancing their meal across the join in two tables. We ordered starters, main meals and deserts plus coffee from the young but pleasant and enthusiastic waiting staff.

The starters duly arrived and immediately appeared to suffer from a lack of thought. A good portion of pâté was served with half a slice of toast which seemed very mean at the least. The Stilton and broccoli soup (complete with lumps of melting Stilton which, whilst tasty, wasn't a great texture) was served with soft bread and rock hard butter. All our party thought the portions were on the tight side and could have been better thought out.

The mains then arrived and consisted primarily of "Sunday Roasts". The beef was excellent as was the pork, but the herb crusted lamb was entirely forgettable and tasteless. The crumb merely hid the fact that the lamb was a manufactured roll rather than a joint and tasted completely of nothing. All the Roasts were served with a good portion of vegetables and roast potatoes and Yorkshire puddings (although the puddings were very flat - chef please note).

The vegetarian option (butternut squash risotto served with goat's cheese) was tasty but was way too rich and extremely heavy. The recipe needs to be rethought to reduce the density because we weren't sure whether to eat it or hang wallpaper with it!

Deserts were mainly traditional fayre but retained the rather odd character of the starters. The Lemon and Lime Cheesecake didn't arrive looking either green or yellow, but instead was served with a (partly frozen) strawberry and a blob of red coulis that looked more like the chef has cut himself. The cheesecake was tasty, it just looked very out of character with the name it was given. The crumble also suffered from from a similar problem. Billed as an "Apple Crumble with Fresh Custard", what arrived was a Blackberry Crumble with the very occasional and minute piece of apple. The fresh custard was actually a pretty runny Creme Anglaise; both very tasty but not what we expected from the menu. The cheese board on the other hand was hugely generous and enough for two to share.

Finally came the coffees and probably the low point of the meal. We ordered "coffee" but got served with espresso-based Americanos served in pretty small cups with tiny quantities of milk as an accompaniment. So we got incredibly strong coffee with neither the milk nor the space to get it down to a reasonable strength. The cups were too small for an Americano, so should have either been served in larger cups or filter coffee served unless an espresso-based coffee was specifically ordered.

Overall, we enjoyed ourselves and found the service to be good and the staff to be very friendly, but we couldn't get over the occasional weirdness with the menu and food. Bearing in mind the size of the party, this wasn't the occasional person being picky, but a general sense that we all got that things were not quite right. We would probably return, but would definitely ask more questions before ordering.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Craig W

Been to The Star Inn 1744? Share your experiences!