“Surprisingly good”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shepshed
Gilburn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Shepshed B&B and Inns
East Anglia, UK
“Surprisingly good”
Reviewed August 3, 2010

We stayed at Gilburn B&B for one night a year ago and I have been meaning to write a review ever since. I can still remember a year later that I thought the exterior looked a bit run down and not very promising, but was pleasantly surprised as the bedroom was extremely comfortable, the breakfast was delicious, and the owner was very helpful and friendly. It was very convenient for Loughborough University, where we were attending our daughter's graduation ceremony. My only minor criticism was our bathroom, which although perfectly clean and adequate, was if anything a little too large and seemed cold, even in the summer! I would definitely recommend it though.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Matlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2010

I have been to a lot of good hotels but none has been a patch on my recent stop at Gilburn. The room was very spacious, with an extremely comfortable double bed that I could have stayed in all day(damn you work!), freeview television and internet access.Tea, Coffee facilities where also present in the room.The en suite was finished to a very high standard and was extremely clean.The cooked breakfast was fantastic. The location was just a couple of minutes from Shepshed where I was working, and 5 or so minutes from junction 23.What has to be the best part of my stay though was the host Malcolm. He was very welcoming from the start, friendly throughout and could'nt do enough to make my stay an enjoyable one. Whether it was giving me advice about the local restaurants and pubs or opening the windows of my room for me before i returned on one of the warmest days of the year(which was greatly appreciated after the oven that was work that day),nothing was too much trouble. Gilburn simply can't be beaten!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Bridgend
Reviewed April 23, 2010

Had to work just down the road in Shepshed and after reading other reviews on trip advisor opted for the Gilburn B&B. Very pleasant overnight stop. Friendly welcome and service from Malcolm (a keen Northants Saints fan).
The (double) rooms were spotless and spacious with everything on hand (Freeview tv, kettle, etc). Indian restaurant 2 minutes walk down the road was very nice too.
Highlight of the stay was the fantastic breakfast with fresh eggs from their own hens. Look forward to my next overnight stay in Shepshed.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
East Yorkshire, uk
Reviewed March 6, 2010

This was the second time I had stayed at the Gilburn and i wasn't disappointed. I was made to feel very welcome as soon as i arrived, my special requests from my first stay in December were remembered (soya milk) and the room was spacious and very clean, with adequate space to work on an evening. It was a cold January and yet the room was perfectly warm and cosy - with lovely clean crisp bedding and toileteries, even a robe! So you can crash and make yourself feel at home.
I know from speaking to Mally they are planning to change around downstairs so there is a lounge space for guests.
Mally is happy to help re advising where good to eat locally, there are a number of good restaurants / takeaways in and around Shepshed village to save on travelling back to Loughborough (which is only a couple of miles away) but if you do want to go to Loughborough, it takes a few minutes.
My journey to uni took about 20 minutes in the early morning traffic, as it does get busy but I stayed previously at a B&B in Loughborough for my first and last time (it was awful)and it was the same. I am now booked in to stay at the Gilburn on several occasions through the next year whilst completing a part time course at Loughborough Uni.
Breakfast is a delight, sitting in a characterful dining room overlooking the gardens, with the chickens (producers of fresh eggs for breakfast) running around. Mally will basically get you what you want - I am pretty boring with cereal and toast but if you want the cooked breakfast it is available.
My car was perfectly safe in the off road private parking area beside the house.
I am next staying in May and look forward to returning to this very friendly 'home from home', which for me is a wonderful way to spend on my own and studying.
I have stayed many other places in the past and have to say this is one of the best, if not the best B&B in terms of comfort, standard and friendliness - totally attributable to the owners Mally and Liz who have clearly invested alot of hard work into their venture.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Catherine B
Oxfordshire
Reviewed January 21, 2010

An excellent B&B - friendly staff, a fantastic breakfast, very comfortable rooms with everything that you might need - it was just a shame I was only staying one night!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
sydney
Reviewed July 30, 2009

If you are ever over Shepshed way and need yourself a place to stay
There's a B & B on the Ashby road called
GILBURN
The rooms are cosy and comfy and clean and the breakfast served is simply supreme
at GILBURN
Just arrived from the Antipodes, I spent nine days there in absolute ease
My stay indeed was a 'home from home'
at GILBURN
Chooks in the front (as we call them downunder) and dogs Gilly and Robbie almost
steal the thunder
Of Liz and Malc in charge of the place known simply
as GILBURN
Malc, who is a bit of a tease, is there to advise and supply every need
Be it where to eat or how to get there, you just have to ask as he's on the ball
at GILBURN
My advice to you reader is to plan ahead for the fame of this excellent B & B is sure to spread
And you wouldn't want to miss out on the chance of a stay at the fabulous place known
as GILBURN

Tina Taylor, Sydney, Australia.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
dartford
Reviewed April 19, 2009

We like to be able to give honest reviews and opinions, and provide constructive criticism where necessary for the benefit of all, but honestly, we couldn't fault Gilburn. Our one night in both a twin and a double room was perfect. All we can say is we would have loved to have stayed at least another night. We would definitely recommend to anybody and would return anytime we need to stay in the area.
Thank you Malcolm for your hospitality.
The Crawley Family, Dartford, Kent

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shepshed
Travelodge Loughborough Central
#12 of 20 in Loughborough
The Royal Oak
The Royal Oak
#1 of 2 in Long Whatton

Been to Gilburn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!