“Such a shame!”

The Grange Courtyard
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shepshed
The Grange Courtyard
Ranked #2 of 2 Shepshed B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 3, 2014

It is several years ago now since my partner and I had a weekend away at The Grange Courtyard in Shepshed but, according to the latest reviews, it looks like nothing much has changed. We should have realised this wasn't going to be a pleasant experience immediately we arrived. As we were pulling slowly into the grounds, ready to park, Linda rapped on the car window, jabbing her finger towards a parking space and uttered the word, 'There!' Not the friendliest of welcomes!

As previously mentioned, the grounds are lovely and the lounge area, with the huge floor to ceiling window, equally so but the stay is totally marred by the rudeness of the proprietor, Linda. For the whole of the weekend, she didn't smile, ask if everything was alright, if we needed anything or even if we had enjoyed our day/stay.

The time we felt most uncomfortable was at breakfast, which was served in silence. It really was dreadful, with guests speaking to each other in hushed voices and the poor young girls, who were waiting on, being constantly snapped and scowled at.

We passed through Shepshed last week and had a good laugh about our appalling weekend but, I can assure you, we were not laughing at the time, as we handed over our card to pay. The money was taken without a thank-you or even a glimmer of a smile. There is absolutely no excuse for such an atrocious lack of manners or social niceties, so necessary when providing such an intimate service as a bed and breakfast. This woman is just like a severe, unpleasant school mistress and, if she is really so unhappy dealing with the public, why on earth does she not sell up?

I am completely shocked that this place has been awarded 5 stars. How? I do not know. All I can suggest to anyone contemplating staying at The Grange is, save your money and look elsewhere. Find a guest house where they actually want you to have a lovely time and genuinely care about the experience they offer.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Relaxed33

Reviewed November 3, 2011

I had read a number of negative reviews about this hotel, but thought I would give it a go anyway due to its convenient location to Loughborough University. The owner called us during the afternoon to enquire as to when we hoped to arrive and was welcoming when we arrived about forty minutes earlier. The room was clean, beds more than comfortable with tea making facilities in the shared kitchen. We had the option of a continental breakfast or cooked. The cooked breakfast had to ordered for a time of your choice which meant it was freshly cooked when you needed it. It was a basic cooked breakfast but far better than any service station fare. I would not have a problem staying again and in fact I am sure we will.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Clare M
Reviewed October 4, 2011

We went there with mixed feelings because of the other comments. First, everything seemed perfect. Room, bed and bathroom clean, kitchen nice, fruits on the table. But at 7.15 in the morning the guests in the room over our room started to get up, and it was even louder as if we were walking in our own room, because of the old creaking ceiling, and worst of all, the toilet pipe was right next to my bed and it was very interesting to try to find out........
Staff was very, very friendly and helpful, The Yard is nice, the garden is nice.
Bill was not as offer, but was solved. And since my plane was late in the evening I dared to come back in the afternoon to sit in the yard, but after a while I was rudely shooed away by Linda.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Elisaxx
Reviewed October 2, 2011

My boyfriend booked this hotel & when I looked at the reviews I was terrified. We prepared ourselves to be berated by Linda the Dragon. Linda was actually very polite and the room and breakfast were both really nice. We actually got a little disappointed when she didn't turn into a dragon. We were tempted to be late for breakfast just to see what would happen but thought this would be cruel! I actually really enjoyed my stay there and would be happy to return.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ikklekoala
Reviewed September 30, 2011

We stayed for 3 nights at this clean, secure and quiet bnb. We found the rooms comfortable (if a little hot, but there was a heatwave) and enjoyed the use of fridge/kitchen, although communal and made best use of the free water/juice/biscuits.
Breakfast was yummy, although finishing serving at 830 means an early start, which is fine for those working away but we'd have liked a longer lie in. The lady who serves breakfast is lovely. There are booklets in the room explaining they don't want you to bring your phone to breakfast, which didn't cause us any problems.
The only downside was the landlady, who although had been fine with us the whole time, with the exception of a rather grumpy phonecall to confirm our arrival time, was very rude to us when we checked out, she tried to charge us too much and instead of apologising blamed the website. (we felt) tried to guilt us into paying the whole amount. All of a sudden things went very sour and when we thanked her for a lovely stay we received a short, "fine" and then made a hasty exit.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank scarfgal
Reviewed May 3, 2011

Booked into the family room which stated it slept 4 and had double and single beds. It doesn't, There were two double bed that just about fitted into the room. Teenage son and daughter not at all impressed. Shared kitchen/ dining area with several other people in the same building but there was really only room for two people to sit down at the same time so we had breakfast in Loughborough. Office deserted when we checked out after one night having booked 3. No sign of WIFI that I could find

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank 7barrows
Reviewed September 4, 2010

The comments on this site are true. Rules, no customer service etc. Shame as this could be a nice place. No suprise to find out recently it's up for sale, with change of use, and the landlady is reportedly in financial trouble.

• Stayed: October 2009
6  Thank Supergrumpyoldgit

Been to The Grange Courtyard? Share your experiences!