2,189 results
All reviewsthalassotherapy poolwrapsflip flopssuperior roomrelaxing breakmy mumnight breakfitness classestotal relaxationbirthday treatbuffet lunchsauna and steam roomspa areafront of houseevening mealspa treatmentsfull body massage
Reviewed August 14, 2018 via mobile

I visited Champneys with some friends, in order to relax and spend some quality time together & we got just that!!
Arrived and parked easily. Checked in and was shown to our room rather promptly. Our room was nice enough - a little dated and a couple of discrepancies, such as a broken window catch & a drippy tap (nothing to detract from our stay though). The room was a nice size, comfortable and clean. There are miniature bottles of shampoo, conditioner, shower gel & bars of soap provided in the bathroom & tea, coffee and milk in the room (my friend asked for more at reception and they gladly obliged).
We booked in for dinner during check in and for lunch the next day during dinner (which we changed, and again, they were happy to oblige). It’s a very efficient system and made our stay smooth and stress free.
We had access to all the facilities and it has the usual areas (steam room, sauna, quiet room, pool, jacuzzi, etc) and obviously you can choose from a range of treatments (although, I found them rather pricey, especially comparable to other spas I’ve been to). I did really like the one set of changing rooms, where you have your own mini private room (almost) to get ready in - that was a real plus!!
There are plenty of indoor and outdoor seating areas for your differing needs (the chaise longues were a fave!!); it’s a very pleasant place to be, purely surrounded by fields.
We struggled to get 4 beds by the pool though, as people who weren’t even using the beds had a tendency to put their towels on the beds rather than hanging them up on the hooks provided.
A real highlight of Champneys is the food; we were there for dinner, breakfast & lunch & all meals were good quality & delicious. It is very health conscious (so don’t go looking for chips or chocolate); however, there is a wide range and it is well presented. There are also other dishes and optional extras, which incur an additional cost. I do agree with some other reviews on this matter, as there are many things that are available but at quite hefty add on prices.
The staff were hit and miss; we encountered some really welcoming, friendly staff and some not so much. We took part in a ‘Stretch & Relax’ class where we got told off like school children for laughing at our friend losing her balance. That put a bit of a dampener on an otherwise pleasant experience.
We also took part in an Aqua Class which was good & those (plus others), were part of the price. There are other classes, such as yoga, which again incur an additional cost.
We enjoyed our stay and what we had in our package was quite good value for money - we would return for another.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with friends
4  Thank NatWright22
Reviewed August 14, 2018 via mobile

Visited for a half price day. I would not have paid the full price of £79. However, we arrived at 9.00 a.m. were checked in and shown around although we had been before. We were given a welcome snack of fruit, bread with smoked salmon, fruit juice and tea or coffee. We had robes, flip flops (we were able to keep the flip flops) in a black shopping bag that we were also able to keep. Plenty of towels available. The spa included pool, jacuzzi (a bit cold for me), steam room, sauna. Note: the steam and sauna are in the changing rooms and are single sex. There is a sauna in the pool area also. Plenty of loungers around the pool.

Lunch was 3 courses. I had a lovely potato and leek soup, chicken curry with rice and peppers followed by fruit. A large bottle of water was on the table and complementary tea or coffee afterwards.

No treatments included and these are expensive. The shop sells swimwear, tee shirts, bags etc. The products on sale are Elemis, Clarins and, of course, Champneys own products.

My daughter and I purchased a Champneys collection of 5 items packaged in a very good quality beach bag. The value of the products was £35 but the offer was £20 to include the bag.

We had a very relaxing day. The staff were all very pleasant and happy to help. Would visit again.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank Linda F
Reviewed August 13, 2018 via mobile

I go to Springs regularly, and decided this year to try a few of the others Champneys resorts to see how they compare. I have to say Springs is the best! Annette and the team provide outstanding customer service,
nothing is ever too much trouble, they will do there utmost to ensure you have an amazing champneys experience. All the staff are friendly and welcoming, the lunch is delicious and I love having my Elemis facials done by Tonie, finishing off my relaxing day perfectly. Thank you to all concerned, I will see you all again very soon xx

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with friends
2  Thank Gerri63
Reviewed August 13, 2018 via mobile

I’ve been to Springs several times and always found something to criticise! On every visit I notice some piddling cutback, obviously designed to save money and was watching out this time. Found nothing until dinner and then saw they have changed tack. What they now do is keep items “free” on the menu to the minimum and have a large number of dishes with a supplement. (Cheese instead of dessert for an extra £5!) and charge ludicrously over the top for wine. (175 ml for £7.10 minimum). Despite these high prices dinner was disappointing; almost devoid of flavour. I sat on the Champneys Table, where they group all the solo guests, with the promise of complimentary canapés. Apparently a dish of pickled onions and another dish of gherkins are canapés!
Next morning I also saw that lots of the classes that used to be included in the price of the stay now have to be paid for. Not by me, I’m afraid.
That said, I had a very relaxing 24 hours. The staff were all charming and helpful, breakfast and lunch were delicious and the surroundings were, for the most part, pleasant.
On checkout a £5 “service charge” added to the bill was cheeky. At those prices I expect excellent service and the management should be paying the staff so well that they don’t need tips. It was sneakily placed in the middle of the list of payable items so only someone eagle-eyed would spot it and have it removed.
I’d certainly go again but would also consider other spas.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled solo
Reviewed August 13, 2018 via mobile

Oh dear, what can I say? The title of my review relates to the TV show from the 1990s. I am so glad I bought a one night stay only through Groupon. As with many other reviews, I agree with the poor service, disinterested staff and the whole place feels like a souped-up leisure centre. On check-in no-one was present and we were finally seen to after 10 mins. Reception staff was lovely and showed us to our room. I feel super lucky that our room was very clean, on the first floor and at the end of the corridor. No complaints there. The food was better than I anticipated, dinner was good, breakfast ok and lunch very good. The exercise class I did was also good.

What I found deeply annoying are the constant surcharges for everything. They "upselling" is way too much and it makes the customer feel like a cash cow. It does not make you feel valued. Nothing is complimentary, you pay for everything and then some. The treatments are overpriced and most of them only last 25 mins. There were hardly any staff to be seen and they did not seem happy. Interesting, I thought for a company that is meant to be all about wellness. There is also no information about local walks and other things to do, as they want people to stay onsite and spend money. Again it feels dishonest and money grabbing.

The reason this review is only two stars, is due to check-out. A desperately painful process, that took 30 mins. There was only one person, the House Manager who was quite rude. The person in front was had a task on their hands explaining things and why his bill should be lower. They just didn't get it and were just keen to charge him as much as possible. I asked if someone could check me out as I just had £12.00 to pay. I was snapped at abruptly by said House Manager. Then, when I finally got there £7.00 extra had been added to my bill. £2 charity donation and £5 tip for staff. Fine, but you need to inform people before. Also, I am very doubtful that any money goes to charity. I asked which one and was told children's disability charity. I was not provided with a name and saw nothing about this during my stay. Really disappointing and I do not ever want to return. I also find it interesting there are very few responses to constructive reviews. A business can't carry on like this and shouldn't want to either.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple