“Disappointing service”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Packington
staffordshire
“Disappointing service”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My friend and I decided to try this spa for a change. We usually frequent another well known spa,but decided it would be nice to experience something different. On reflection, we did enjoy our day but there were some very annoying issues which should not occur at such high prices.
Pros
We enjoyed some classes and treatments, however my friend felt her treatment was rushed.
The initial welcome was good and informative
Cons
We disliked the layout and found it difficult to find a quiet spot to relax after lunch. All the ares are on a corridor with no separate rooms for peace and quiet.
The changing rooms were extremely cramped with hair dryers not working. I alerted a member of staff to one which could not be switched off (a electrical fault) which was not fixed or removed.
Empty toilet rolls in holders with new ones left on floor.
Very cramped sunbed area by pool, not relaxing at all!
Thalassotherapy treatment nice but very expensive and not enough time to enjoy, too regimented.
Staff at lunch seemed unaware of offers. Our day included drinks at lunch which we requested, only to be ignored!
Our checking out experience was a disaster! I approached 4 members of staff who made me feel very uncomfortable. They obviously were trying to install a new system with a trainee (not her fault)
I sat for 10 minutes whilst they talked between themselves, and eventually I had to ask if we could go!
We will not be returning

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
Tadcaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My friend and I went back for another trip to springs we have been going for many year we enjoy been able to relax and have some pampering the food is excellent very well presented and very tasty, the staff seem very friendly and welcoming. You can do as much or as little as you want you can go swimming take part in exercise classes which there are many or just sit and read and chill out there are plenty of areas to sit and relax with plenty of comfortable chairs and settees in very pleasant surroundings. We try and plan to go twice a year and really look forward to going.It is also a place you can go to by yourself and feel very comfortable.The treatments are good and kept on time.

Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Myself and my Mum recently spent the day at Champneys Springs, as usual we had some excellent treatments by expert, friendly staff who made us feel welcome and were very knowledgable about the Champneys range, without us feeling pressured into buying the products, which was nice, but the products are lovely and there was 3 for 2 on, so we had a little treat! Would definitely recommend, having visited before we also got a discount loyalty voucher so have an excuse to return!

Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Champneys Springs has been part of my life for the last 11 years - we are always very warmly welcomed back & the treatments are so blissful. After either relaxation or enjoyment of the classes we are so chilled out & treated to some wonderful cuisine. All in all its a fantastic place & one I hope I'm enjoying for many more years to come!

• Stayed March 2012
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My friend and I returned for another well earned break from the strains of busy jobs and families. The 'chill factor' starts as soon as we drive through the gates - a haven of relaxation and pampering. The food is wonderful - well stocked buffets for breakfast and lunch and a 3 course evening meal fit to grace the table at a very expensive restaurant. We crawl out of bed each morning to be in the pool for the 7am aqua sessions. A fun way to wake up and remove any guilt from breakfast. The rest of the days pass mainly in robes and lounging around on leather settees venturing upstairs from time to time for a session of pure pampering by highly trained therapists who massage, cleanse, exfoliate and cream to perfection.

As usual the stay passes to quickly but we are already plotting our next escape from reality hoping to return before the summer holidays!

Northants
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I was so excited to receive an overnight Champneys spa break from my boyfriend for my recent birthday. Having been to many other spas for days and overnight stays I knew that Champneys had a good reputation and was very excited.
My boyfriend paid nearly £400 for the 2 of us which included an early arrival fee so we could arrive at 11am instead of 2pm. However when arriving our room wasnt ready until then anyway so we had all of our stuff to carry around with us. We were also told on arrival that we would need to pay £25 if our robes went missing- not quite the welcoming greeting expected.
On arrival there was no one at reception to greet us and we actually had to find a member of staff ourselves to get checked in. They had no reference as to whether we had paid for an early check in or if our room was ready- not a great start.
The £400 my boyfriend paid only gave 1 person the treatment, which i found really expensive. All other spa breaks i have been on include treatments for both guests meaning he had to wait in reception whilst i had my treatments at 12noon. I would like to add though that the treatments were lovely.
When checking into our room, it was very disappointing. I have stayed in better rooms for £39 at a premier inn and definitely wouldve expected more luxury for a £400 overnight break. The shower barely had enough water dripping out of it to wash my hair!
The swimming pool and jacuzzi were both lovely and i enjoyed a really nice swim. The sauna in the ladies changing rooms was hardly warm so couldnt really enjoy that at all.
The highlight of the break and the only part worth any decent amount of money was the food. Breakfast,lunch and dinner were all really lovely. However when paying £400 for an overnight stop, you really wouldnt then expect to have to pay an extra £4.50 on top to have a few cooked items for breakfast.
Checkout was a complete nightmare. They had 3 people doing checkouts but still no one on the reception desk so other guests coming to stay were not being greeted for ages.
Overall i was really disappointed and feel in terms of value for money my boyfriend got totally ripped off when comparing it to other spas i have been to. It was definitely not worth the money to basically stay in a premier inn room with a swimming pooland eat nice food.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Derby
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Took the wife for a relaxing one night break at Champneys Springs. It's not cheap, but it is quiet and relaxing.
The food was nice, the gym and pool were very good and not particularly busy.
I think I would send the wife on her own next time as it wasn't really for me.
No complaints though...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Packington
Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Appleby Magna
Burleigh Court
Burleigh Court
#3 of 12 in Loughborough

Been to Champneys Springs Health Resort? Share your experiences!