“A relaxing luxury break”

Kilworth House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Kilworth
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We spent one a one night midweek break here in January 2013, Although the hotel, is only 8 miles from where we live it feels a real getaway. The staff, service, room and facilities (a well equipped Gym) are extremely good. The taster meal we had in the Wordsworth room was excellent with an innovative menu. We also very much enjoyed breakfast in the Orangery the morning after. The weather was cold and misty after the heavy snow but we still enjoyed a walk around the grounds and lake seeing monkjack deer. Our son and daughter-in-la have been twice (leaving the children with us) and have also thoroughly enjoyed the break. We saw a most enjoyable performance of The Sound of Music there last summer at the Open Air Theatre and have booked a one night theatre break this summer to see My Fair Lady.

Room Tip: Both grounds view and courtyard view rooms offer a pleasing aspect but seeing deer in the grounds is...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I went with my mum, sister, friend and her mum for afternoon tea. This is not overly expensive but for the area it's not cheap. We arrived and had to prompt the staff member to acknowledge our presence. We asked if we could sit in the sofa area of the orangery to have a drink before sitting at our table, this we did then after 10 minutes had to prompt a staff member to actually come and serve drinks. Once drinks were served we sat for a further 20 minutes chatting and had to hunt down a staff member again to take us to our table. A waiter came to take our drinks so we stood to follow him and we were told our table wasn't ready!!!! Our reservation was for 2:30pm and it was 2:40pm when we asked to go to our table. There was a red wine stain on the table cloth in front of one of my guests which wasn't nice. Once at the table we then waited what I would say was too long for a waitress to come over. The afternoon tea was served after about 20 minutes but the scones were freshly baked so we did not mind. I came here before year last year for afternoon tea and the serving was very generous I did not feel the same was to be said regarding the savoury section of our full afternoon tea this time, however there were lots of sweets but not enough for the 5 of us to have one each of everything portions were big so could be shared but I have always understood they were bite sized sweets with a little of everything for every guest. Kilworth is beautiful with old style charm & luxury with open fires and a fantastic setting, but service needs to improve to be inline with the prices. I would think twice before going again with the price at £20 per head I know of other hotels that are cheaper with better service.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We went to Kilworth House as a group of twelve for afternoon tea on a Saturday afternoon. The surroundings were attractive, and the food was acceptable, the service however was poor at best. Our tea and coffee was not topped up despite asking, we waited 25 minutes for milk despite asking, and the staff were not welcoming or accommodating. Considering it cost £20 per head, the service was simply not up to scratch.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank RBSW
Reviewed February 15, 2013

i must say that my family and i had the best time at this hotel we personaly had the J M barrie room with its lovely bathroom with walk in shower and roll top bath. We really enjoyed ourselfs !! Love to vist again lots more to do. thanks for a lovely time

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for valentines night. We stayed in the Shelley room. it was fantastic and the service was above expectation.
The staff were all very friendly and the food was the best I have had seved in a very long time.
It is very rare these days to find a hotel that gives the service and quality that you find here.
I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and if you are travelling to this country and want a country hotel of the very best do not hesitate to book.
The hotel also has a theatre in the grounds as well as beautifull lounges and 2 very lovely dining areas. I find that a lot of places I stay when i travel are hard to impress with a well run hotel of quality and friendliness but this hotel did impress me with all of that and more.

Room Tip: shelley room
Reviewed February 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed for a birthday treat on a Friday night in the Tennyson room, we have stayed a few times before over the last few years. The Tennyson room is lovely, we love going upstairs to the bathroom, its spotless, roomy and the bed is very big and comfortable. We shared an afternoon tea and later we ate in the Wordsworth restaurant. All the food was delicious, including the breakfast.
Our only disappointment was the staff, the lady that served the afternoon tea was curt and unfriendly. When we came down to dinner it took ten to fifteen minutes to find anyone to bring us a menu, that’s even after my husband had gone to the bar (having to fetch our own drinks) and asked the bar man. Then at breakfast in the Orangery, having been seated in the sun we asked if we could move tables because we were uncomfortably hot, but were told it would be hot wherever we sat, there were plenty of empty tables in the shade but she said they were set for lunch. Eventually, begrudgingly she let us move. Overall the staff just seem unhappy and unhelpful, not what you would expect for the price you are paying. Unfortunately we had experienced similar service on a previous visit but had hoped it would have improved!

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I was given a certificate for a Champagne Afternoon Tea for my 60th birthday from my work colleagues, who very generously paid a shade under £60 for this "treat for two". I went with my husband on I.02.13 at 4.30pm as this was the only time I was offered in a two week period. WHAT a dissapointme!!! Tea and coffee slopped into cups and spilt on tablecloth, four very small and not particularly fresh open sanwiches, scones with APRICOT and CHERRY jam, anybody knows that it should be strawberry! The meagre cake selection was again very disappointing. Don't anybody waste their money, you can get better at Marks and Spencer's for £12 for two!!! P.S. the champagne was ok! But not worth £60!!!

4  Thank Winefride
#3 of 39 in Coventry
Jurys Inn Hinckley Island
Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa
Leicester Marriott Hotel

Been to Kilworth House Hotel? Share your experiences!