“Lovely hotel/surroundings”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Melton Mowbray
Liskeard, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel/surroundings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and couldn't have wished for better service from the staff. The room we were given in the first instance was not up to expectations but the second choice was really great, spacious, very clean and a good bathroom/shower. The food was the crowning glory, first class and we sampled their evening menu which I would give top marks for. Lovely Seating area by the bar with superb open fire. Must mention the lovely barman, Simon, who was more than friendly. So all in all, a top hotel with lovely grounds to walk around. Will hopefully return in the summer.

Room Tip: we stayed away from the main building and found it really excellent.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Scalford_GM, General Manager at Scalford Hall Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of our hotel.

I am delighted to read that you you enjoyed your stay with us and have recognised Simon for his excellent customer service. Although you did not find the first room allocated to your satisfaction, I am pleased to note that the second room was more to your liking.

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the summer!!

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Scalford Hall is a very nice hotel. We stayed in the extension of the hotel rather than the main house. The only fault was the walls/partition in the rooms could be made a bit more sound proof as we could hear a couple down the hallway.
Great and very friendly accommodating staff.
You do need a car, if you don't there is not much to do around the hotel.

Room Tip: In the main house
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Scalford_GM, General Manager at Scalford Hall Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for your review, it is always pleasing to receive a positive review, and I am glad you thought we have a very nice hotel, and friendly accommodating staff.

We hope you will return again in the future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here the might before my wedding at belvior castle, so the distance wasn't too bad in the morning. Rooms were clean, breakfast was nice, I asked for a larger room so I could get ready and they accommodated. Can't complain.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Sonal09
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. Congratulations on your marriage, and I am pleased to read that the hotel was exactly as you had hoped, and your needs were accommodated.

We certainly received much positive feedback from your guests who also stayed, and we wish you all the happiness in your married life, and hope you will consider returning for your anniversary.
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner have stayed at scalford hall twice, once in 2010 and again march this year. Both experiences have been great and would happily go again! The grounds are beautiful and the food is great value for money. Relaxing and welcoming accommodation, would recommend anyone to stay here!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Chlostar2
Thank you for such a positive review of our hotel. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your second stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back as much as you look forward to returning.

leicester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I got married at Scalford hall on 16th march 2013. It was a perfect day in everyway. There were plenty of my family and friends who stayed for a few nights, and were all really impressed and happy with their stay accomodation and the general service of the staff. The staff went above and beyond for myself my husband and my guests.The rooms were all clean warm and welcoming. The room we had for our wedding night was fab, couldnt have asked for better. The staff were only too happy to help in what ever we needed. I would definietly stay again, and recommend this beautiful place to family,friends or anyone. Thank you again to all staff that helped make my wedding day run smooth and make my guests welcomed and happy.
Mrs Y Horrix

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank yasmine16h
Scalford_GM, General Manager at Scalford Hall Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for such a positive review of Scalford Hall.

I am delighted to read that your special day with us was everything you hoped for and more. Each event held at Scalford is as unique to us as it is to you, and it is always wonderful to receive such positive feedback.

We wish you and your husband every happiness in the future, and do hope you enjoy your champagne gift on your 1st wedding anniversary.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

We booked for one night to avoid driving home in bad weather after a function. The drive up looked promising. Parking was convenient, big wood door impressive. The End... Well not quite. Reception tell us they are quiet due to weather (the hotel boasts 88 rooms) yet they couldn't locate our room or indeed know what room we had. (We had booked 2 rooms this had been completely overlooked) we finally get our rooms and are shown to them. They were awful. Dark, dreary, very old and worn. The carpets were stained and I was not keen to walk barefoot. The chair at the desk, stained. The bed top cover was marked and stained, as were the pillow cases. The dark wood stain/varnish that covered almost everything was chipped. There were cobwebs all over the bathroom, tissue paper unflushed down the loo. Cracked mug on the tea tray! I don't think I need to go on, apart from the mention that the ground floor rooms looked better, so why, when the hotel was so quiet were we not put into these I'll never know? As mentioned earlier we were attending a function elsewhere that eve, we were informed via a note on the outside door that it would be locked at 11. Now I'm all for good security, but on arriving back at 12.30am to have to call a mobile number (the signal is not great) whilst standing in a porch in -2 and waiting 4 minutes to be let in? :-( longest 4 minutes of my life. Seeing as I could ramble on for chapters ill stop now. The positives. The facade is impressive. The staff cheerful and helpful. The grounds beautiful but that's it. I won't even bother to mention the breakfast as I'd sooner forget!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jacnabz
I am most disappointed to read your review following your stay at our hotel. I have investigated your comments, and do note that none of your issues listed here, were reported to Reception or the Duty Manager.

I have checked your bedroom reservations, and can confirm that you booked online, several days prior to arrival, and these rooms were entered directly into our reservations system, so I am unsure as to why you feel the reservations were not present.

In regards to your comments to the bedrooms, the only difference the ground floor bedrooms offer are they have Zip & Link beds, which are slightly larger than a standard double, as they can be made as either single or doubles.

I have checked the bedrooms allocated, and can only assume the housekeeping team have rectified the issues you have listed. In addition, as you mention, the hotel is locked at night for security reasons, and I do apologise if you feel the delay in opening the doors was too long.

I do regret that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel, however, should you find yourself in a similar situation again, if matters are brought to the attention of the team, it does provide an opportunity for any issues to be resolved directly, rather than through such a forum as Tripadvisor.

Travelers are raving about these Melton Mowbray hotels

Spalding, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

This has been my third year of staying here while attending the Hifi Wigwam audio "bakeoff", and I have to say it's by a margin this hotel's best effort to date.

It is in many ways a typical English hotel - i.e. suffering form long-term underinvestment and overall not great value for money. Many rooms have typically British flimsy plumbing arrangements - poor or non-existant hot water supply being the main issue, while cleaning sometimes leaves something to be desired. We found a number of dead flies in residence during our two-night stay, which were left unmolested by cleaning staff while we were there...

Moaning aside, I have to say the hotel coped absolutely gallantly with the 100s of audio nuts descending on them and basically taking-over for the weekend. Everything we'd asked for was undertaken in a timely and efficient manner, beer was this time plentiful, fairly-priced and good at the bar, and the buffet laid-on for Saturday evening was tasty, abundant and fair value (not something many hotels can be accused of!). Staff were courteous and helpful, and the minor issues reported were taken seriously and dealt with.

The pros and cons balance out to an "average" overall, but the current staff deserve considerable credit for their hard work with sometimes unpromising material. Keep-up the good work, you're definitely getting there!

Room Tip: Stay as centrally as possible to the old building, as the place is a maze and some of the far-flung...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review following your stay.

We take all feedback received seriously, and whilst I note your comments, it is pleasing to read that you found this stay to be markedly improved on previous stays.

The feedback received from the whole HiFi Wigwam event was remarkably positive, with your sentiments being reflective of all attendees and exhibitors.

We do hope you will be returning for next years event.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melton Mowbray
#5 of 7 in Melton Mowbray
Barnsdale Hall Hotel
Barnsdale Hall Hotel
#2 of 2 in Barnsdale

Been to Scalford Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!