“Ladies who lunch” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Epworth, United Kingdom
“Ladies who lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

5 of us stayed at Sysonby Knoll as part of the 'gourmet experience' offerered by 'go Leicestershire'. The staff were excellent, incredibly polite and helpful. They took care of our purchases from the pork pie shoppe and responded to our requests for tea and coffee promptly. The hotel is a nice comfortable place to be and some of us are already planning our return - this time with our 'other halves' !!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

I stayed here after hearing some good things! I heard the scenery was beautiful and placed a stones throw from the rural town, with friendly staff. I was not let down one bit, very friendly people. Peter I think his name was gave me a fantastic insight into meltdowns history, if you got some spare time on your hands listen to this guy talk with passion! I digress, the rooms were lovely and what a remarkable view. Thankyou!

• Stayed May 2013
Ashbourne, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

lovely hotel with nice grounds and although I was only staying for one night and didn't use restaurant I could tell the food was good and the restaurant was popular, the location is only 10 to 15 minutes walk from Melton Mowbray town centre.
I would like to give a special mention to 'Pete' who apart from being excellent at his job, delivered customer service above and beyond his call of duty when I needed assistance,
many thanks Pete

Room Tip: most rooms overlook the courtyard but there are a couple of four poster rooms looking over the lovel...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dawn T
Pontefract, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

First of all, we went here with a small dog, after checking first that dogs were allowed, which is debateable, as I will explain later. We arrived at the hotel, to find that there has been some very clever photography going on with regards to how the hotel appears. The hotel is actually on a main road opposite a large council estate, and does not really look very appealing from the road, more like a chain hotel type appearance. The old building is actually to the rear, over looking a grass meadow, but nothing special. We checked in and the reception come bar was very well decorated and very plush, spotlessly clean, so we thought we had chosen very well by first appearance. The receptionist took us to our room at £100. The room was very small, and to be honest not mush better than such as a premier inn, just better decorated. The paint work was scuffed and paint work patchy, looking out over some tatty trellis and wheelie bins. Breakfast, was literally one sausage, one egg, one hash brown, two bacon and 32 baked beans, I am a grown man, and frankly expect more for £100. But, regarding the dog; dogs are not allowed in the room where breakfast is served, fine so I will leave the dog in the room. No this is not allowed either. So are dogs allowed or not? We ended up having breakfast away from everyone else, on a low sofa, very hard to eat. If dogs are allowed, they should be allowed in the breakfast room, no question, or at least to be left in the room. None of these were possible, so I wish they just had a no dog policy, and we could have gone elsewhere. To sum up, the room was very over priced, I have had a lot better for around the £70 mark, where I think our room should have been, and it was not like the price came from the location of the hotel, the surroundings were just normal, and the hotel happened to have a nice garden. The dog policy wants sorting, they are either allowed in full, or not........... I would like breakfast with my dog, which I was told was allowed at the hotel, and breakfast was part of the £100. I expect more once talking £100 for b&b.

Room Tip: The £100 rooms are not of £100 standard. Very small. Scuffed walls.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank WestRiding1984
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

We had our first baby four months ago and were looking for a place near my family's home for a place for a dry run of life in a holiday environment, away from home. I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't in the historic centre of Melton, but the upside was 1. stunning views over the countryside from a beautifully-kept garden, 2. easy parking and 3. no noise to keep the baby awake.

As for the hotel itself, our room (no.3, if you're interested) had the most amazing 4-poster bed, so high that you had a (beautifully polished) pedestal to help you get into it. It also had a very spacious bathroom, all immaculately kept. Dinner in the restaurant was excellent, and breakfast, while nothing spectacular, didn't disappoint. The service was warm, friendly and efficient throughout.

I would recommend this place even at its full price. As we got one of their special deals, it was terrific value for money. Hats off!

Room Tip: As noted - Room 3 for the monster 4-poster!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

What a lovely setting for a hotel. Just 15-20 min walk from Melton Mowbray town centre, the perfect position for a quiet escape. Very pleasant staff and wonderful restaurant. Breakfast, timely service which was perfect for me having limited time before going to work. I had a lovely evening meal, very generous portions which was far too much for me but would be great for a hungry guy. There is a beautiful garden to the rear with views over the grazing field. The room had everything I might need, including free wifi! Homely decor which is true to the slightly olde worlde essence of the hotel. Overall a very enjoyable visit, entirely suitable for a business trip and I will be visiting again very soon! Thank you.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

We met up with family at Melton Mowbray for the "Taste Leicestershire", and staying at Sysonby Knoll Hotel completed a great weekend. The hotel was convenient and comfortable, the (standard) room had everything we needed (clean and well-decorated), and the staff were extremely helpful. Dinner was excellent, and the breakfast was delicious. The garden and the views from the restaurant were lovely. We would recommend the experience and the hotel. Superb value for money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Stapleford Park
Stapleford Park
#1 of 1 in Stapleford
Barnsdale Lodge Hotel and Restaurant

Been to BEST WESTERN Sysonby Knoll Hotel? Share your experiences!