“Unloved and over priced.”
Review of Conkers

Conkers
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

We visited Conkers on a lovely sunny day hoping to have a great day out. I feel we were freshly let down.

First impression were poor when we were pointed to the half term activities on a old flip chat Stand. We then went into the discovery centre and wandered around some of of date and fairly knackered exhibits. Some of the attraction were too scary for our three year old. We then went outside for a wander around the woods. This was ok. But you could do the same in your local forest.

The place just feels old and under invested in. I get the impression it was great when it opened but really has not been updated since. Snack bars were closed and just left gathering dust especially in the waterside area.

We went to the dean ponies. Thus was laughable. The two ponies were being walked. Up and down at the rear of a building past rubbish and old bits of equipment. Considering the space it must be the worst place possible to do this. Owl week consisted of a table with paper plates tissue paper and glue. That was it.

The whole experience was weird and disappointing. First nearly £30 I expected a full day out. We managed a couple of hours.

2  Thank sijlee
There are newer reviews for Conkers

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Took my 7_10_12 year old grandchildren, after paying £34! I expected more than we got, there's not much to do, all but 2 of the 'interactive' displays were broken. There's a sad little train, that after queuing, took us just round the corner, past a stunning display of old planks and rusty bins.
The children enquired a few times about things to do, but after an hour we left.
I took them to the local park, which was obviously free, and they had a great time there instead.
Disappointing, can't believe they have the nerve to charge so much!

5  Thank pollyanna393
ConkersAttraction, Customer Experience Team at Conkers, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Hello,

Many thanks for your note.

During the half term we have lots of extra activities on site including ranger programmes such as Shelter Building, Bush Craft and Tracks and Trails. Also the Dream Ponies, Monkey Bongo, Dippy the Clown, Dippy the Puppet Show and Trevor Hills Animal Road Show are visiting us too. All of which is included within the admission price.

You can also explore:
Adventure Play area
Indoor Play – Billy Bonkers
Wetland Board Walks
CONKERCHOO train

We hope to see you soon.

Best wishes,

CONKERS

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Rarely can I be bothered to write feedback but as an act of kindness to my fellow humans I feel I must save you from a wasted trip!

As many have pointed out; Conkers should be flying the flag for The National Forest - it fails utterly. Most local run parks these days have better themed walks and "Eco" areas plus better play areas. I'm not expecting Kew Gardens but even the Arboretum in Derby is more exciting than this place. I live near Rushcliffe Country Park and the management should pay a visit to see how a local authority manages an excellent site. There is certainly less rubbish floating around there compared with Conkers - I wouldn't have been surprised to have seen a shopping trolley in the "lake" at Conkers.

I see reviews on here going back years which say the same things - tired, broken exhibits, needs rejuvenating etc. Management response: "the park always takes some abuse through our busy year and our team is always working hard making repairs" or similar - but these comments are made throughout the year and for many years.

I don't hold much truck with those who complain about poor quality over-priced food. Have you not visited a child-centred attraction in the UK before? That's why we always take a picnic to such places. You might think there would be some lovely places for a picnic at somewhere like Conkers - nope!

The indoor 'enchanted forest' scared our 4 year old with the unnecessary piped scary sounds which she would otherwise have enjoyed. The scientific exhibits were VERY outdated and in some places broken.

Our children would have enjoyed the assault course but weren't allowed to as they were under 13. Again, much of the assault course items can be found in your average council park these days (and in better condition).

Fairy labyrinth - not sure why they even bothered in the investment.

Poor sign posting - many signs have faded and inks run due to getting wet (why have paper signs in plastic folders at an outdoor attraction? The signs on my village notice board are better protected from the elements!

Children did enjoy the train although it seems an unnecessary addition - perhaps an attempt to distract from the awfulness if the rest of the place. It's quicker to walk and frankly a place like Conkers should be encouraging walking plus it's not very environmentally friendly as it pumps out the diesel.

In addition to visiting Rushcliffe Country Park can I also recommend a management visit to Belton House to see their play centre and adventure playground etc. I appreciate the National Trust have deeper pockets but they also have imagination!

All I can currently recommend is you visit your local park or woodland and have a better day out. Come on Conkers - show a little energy and enthusiasm and try to inspire!

1  Thank GJBond
ConkersAttraction, Director of Sales at Conkers, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

We are very surprised by your comments as our ranger team work very hard to ensure that any litter left by our guests is cleared quickly. We’ve also spent some time over the last weeks since Christmas getting ready for the half term and have some great inclusive events going on during the week which are all included in the admission charge. Conkers still represents an excellent day out for the family and really good value for money

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We visited on 14th February and it was very, very wet, cold and muddy. It's definitely a place to be visited in the late Spring or Summer I think. The park area is nicely laid out with a fun assault course and zip wire and a mini-maze. We thought the coffee shop was very expensive and would recommend taking a picnic. The indoor area was okay but had several interactive exhibits which either didn't work or had no explanation with them......you'd press a button or wind a lever and a light would flash up but there'd be no explanation of what it meant.
We will visit again.......but in the summer and with a picnic lunch.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Not really knowing much about Conkers we took our almost 2 year old there for the day. Unfortunately she was a bit little for most of it. She did enjoy the train.
I think it would be much more enjoyable in the spring/ summer and with 5yr old +.