“... a bit unexpected”
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Reviewed April 4, 2014

I booked a couple of double rooms at the Royal before I checked their bonefides on Tripadvisor. When I did check the reviews were not that good. However our stay was very good. Reception (and staff in general) were very helpful and efficient; the place was clean, neat and tidy; our room was warm and well furnished. The lounge bar was comfortable with a decent range of drinks. I was very glad that I did nor cancel our original bookings. Perhaps the Royal is 'on the up'.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the air conditioning fans - although not too intrusive they might disrupt th...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Two nights, bar area, wifi, pleasant staff, free plentiful parking (pay and display voucher), close to town and restaurants (hotel restaurant closed Sunday).

Hotel restaurant is a gem. Good prices, stimulating and different menu, excellently cooked and served, wonderful flavour but also beautifully presented (and my second visit so its consistent)

One negative- I wasn't struck by the coffee

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We were due to have our wedding at the Royal in spring 2014. After having a visit and reading the brochure we could see the hotel was dilapidated but the brochure stated the hotel was to undergo extensive refurbishment in 2013. This never happened and on subsequent visits the hotels state of repair worsened, increasing damp patches, shabby furniture and generally dirty. The hotel management team were unaccommodating to the menu for the wedding breakfast and we were told there is no menu sampling available which is standard practice for most wedding venues. Also, we did not sign a contract but the hotel felt it was in their power to with hold £200 deposit which we still have not got back. Ultimately we felt we were paying top price for a hotel and service which falls well below expectations, there are much nicer venues in the surrounding area, so brides and grooms be aware of this hotel, I would not recommend you book.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Charlie R
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We eat at the Royal Hotel regularly and it never disappoints!! All the staff are warm, friendly and nothing is too much trouble even when we request food/drinks to have in the garden whether or not they are busy with functions etc....A big thank you once again!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank June D
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I was booked in for two nights through work and after reading the reviews, I was dubious.
I was greeted with friendly attentive staff. Who explained the car parking procedure. The receptionist directed me to my room and explained where and when breakfast would be.
Although my room was not refurbished, it was newly decorated and clean. As was my shower ensuite.
Not knowing the area i ate in the restaurant. I was told it was a new menu with a variety of dishes. The food was hot, tasty and very enjoyable. The breakfast didn't disappoint either and was cooked to order and delicious.

Will definately stay again next time I am in the area.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I stay here a few times a month due to work. The hotel needs a good make over and it we'll dated. The rooms are old with wallpaper hanging off and damp patches on the ceilings. They can also get very cold when the temp drops however some rooms do have a back up electric radiator in. Breakfast food quality can be hit and miss. The showers in most rooms are very poor with most just having a trickle. On a positive note the staff are friendly and the bed sheets are clean. If I was paying I wouldn't stay here.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Very pleased with this hotel, tho0ugh we only stayed one night. Good bar, with real ale. Did not eat there so cannot comment on food. Room and beds very comfortable and room spacious. Location in Ashby is at far end of town centre, building beautiful Regency manor house.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bill186302
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashby de la Zouch
Premier Inn Ashby De La Zouch Hotel
Premier Inn Ashby De La Zouch Ho...
#1 of 3 in Ashby de la Zouch
Bosworth Hall Hotel & Spa
Bosworth Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Market Bosworth
Champneys Springs Health Resort

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!