“Stick to pub grub!”
Review of The Tap House

The Tap House
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
leicestershire
“Stick to pub grub!”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I visited the restaurant for the first time with 2 friends, mid week, for an evening meal. The carvery looked very dry at 7.30pm so we avoided this. I ordered a cod fillet wrapped in salami from the specials. The fish was raw in the middle, but the staff were friendly and helpful, when I returned it for some more microwaving! On a positive note the chips were the best I have had out for a very long time, and beautifully presented in a mini wire basket. Both my friends ordered steaks which were beautiful and the salad was well dressed and fresh, not bagged salad.

I opted for an apple and strawberry crumble. Unfortunately the crumble mixture lacked sugar and not a strawberry in sight. It did come with 2 generous blobs of ice cream. Coffee was also good. Everything seemed slightly over priced

My advice for the chef would be stream down the menu and stick to what you are best at- traditional pub grub as this is where the establishments strengths lie.

This is the first time I have visited this restaurant despite living in ashby for nearly 20 years but would like to give it a second chance.

• Visited May 2013

Leicester, United Kingdom
“Nice pub but needs a bit of work on food”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

some of starters were overcooked. In deep fried brie one portion was empty of cheese and no accompanying sauce as listed. Fish also overcooked- I suspect that they had fryer too hot.
Staff very helpful and pleasant.
Carvery good although priced a little too high at over £9 to compare with other nearby restaurants which are just as good.

• Visited May 2013
derbyshire
“My fave carvery place.”
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I love coming here for a carvery every now and then. Not frozen or packaged like most others I've been to, pudding good too. Amazing food. Great atmosphere. Park, marquee beer garden. Often has beer fests or bands. Great country pub.

• Visited April 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
“A bit of a disappointment”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We visited The Tap House for a meal on a Monday evening, as it had come highly recommended by a friend some months previously. On a positive note, they had four real ales on hand pump (three from their own brewery and one from a guest brewery) and the two that I tried were very nice indeed and very well kept. The welcome was also warm and the staff very pleasant and courteous throughout our visit.

The food was quite expensive for ‘pub grub’, so we were expecting something quite good. We both ordered the baked field mushroom as a starter (£5.60 per person), which was described as being “filled with salami, mozzarella and cherry tomatoes slow baked until crispy golden”. When the starter arrived, it was very nicely presented, but was unfortunately only warm around the edges and cold in the middle. If I’m paying £5.60 for a starter that is “slow baked until crispy golden” I expect it to be hot. This was no more hot than it was baked, and was therefore quite a disappointment. Although our main courses was hot enough, they were nothing special and we have had pub food just as good many times before in more local establishments with lower prices than The Tap House.

In summary then, the food at The Tap House did not live up to its billing and, bearing in mind the prices, was not good value for money either. We will probably go again for a drink one evening, but I doubt we would bother eating there again.

• Visited March 2013