“Very Tasty”

Taste of Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 26, 2013

The food was great, it was that simple. it came quickly, was hot and well presented, staff were pleasant and attentive, but not too over attentive which is a personal hate of mine.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

We were a large group and everyone really had a good evening, food and service very good.

Our waiter was excellent at remembering what everyone had ordered, service was good and we didn't feel rushed in any way. Portions were very generous and everyone found their meals to be really tasty. As I am not a Thai food lover I settled for spring rolls and plum sauce for starters followed by lemon battered chicken with sweet chilli sauce and this was really great. The rest of the group had a variety of meals and were thoroughly satisified.

Very reasonable and definitely worth a visit!

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We went to this restaurant on sat 4th may the party we went with was 15 and i can say i was very happy along with everyone else we all had the sharing platter to start and we all ate different main meals which all came out at the same time.
I had read some lousy comments on trip advisor prior to going so quite happy with the outcome.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Taste of Thai was formally known as the Thai Rainbow, we used to visit at least twice a month as we adore Thai food and it always tasted lovely with decent portions. Now it seems their aim is to get the food out asap, then get you out of the door asap. The last few times I have visited hoping that things will have improved vastly, well sadly that isn't the case. The staff are friendly enough and the decor is okay, prices average but when we paid a visit for my birthday there was 18 of us. The chef served us and he didn't look happy at all that we hadn't opted for the set menu - he kept poking me and saying: YOU WANT SET MENU? Which we didn't, and because of this it meant our food kept out in dribs and drabs and tasted bad and cold. After the mains, my family had brought a birthday cake for me without me knowing. Some of our party were outside having a ciggie when the same chef comes up to me, pokes me AGAIN and says: YOU WANT CAKE NOW? It was my bloody birthday (pretty obvious considering the banner I was wearing) so surely this guy should have had more tact! Like I said, it seemed as if they wanted us straight out the door.
Plus little things like the quality of the sweet chilli sauce, the freshness of the tempura have all declined. It's worrying how fast some of the food comes out of the kitchen - has clearly been microwaved/sat in a pot/chucked in the deep fat fryer.
Shame really, as it was nice to have a decent local Thai restaurant but we won't go back unless we absolutely have to for a friend's birthday etc.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Popped in here early on Saturday evening after the theatre and shopping in Derby. I am a big fan of Thai food and have been coming here for 30 years. This was not good. We ordered and got the standard platter, which was fine. We then had a red chicken curry, which was okay; a crispy pork, which was tiny pieces of chewy batter with no discernible meat in a cold, sweet sauce; a sizzling beef, which was brought to the table in a pudding bowl (straight out of the microwave?) and flopped onto a sizzler. It sputtered in one corner and then sat on the table, barely touched as it was horrible. The rice was reheated and they used to do beautiful fluffy steamed rice in here. What happened? We also had some vegetables: cabbage, onion, 2 tiny bits of broccoli and 2 tiny bits of cauliflower And carrots!! Carrots were a theme: they were on everything, even the rice. We told the waitress that it wasn't good. She said she would take the pork off the bill.She didn't. We got some sorbet to follow, which was okay. This option was £20 per head. Don't choose the set menus if you want freshly cooked food. This was revolting. I will try one more time, ordering from the main menu. I really hope it is better.